• You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS Wish List -- 2014-02 Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:18 AM

View PostA Tejesember, on 09 February 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

Since OR is still using the .s format, you can use conv3ds.exe in the UTILS folder of MSTS, can't you?

I've already tried that and it doesn't seem to do anything to the file I'm trying to convert to. About blender, I didn't try it, but I prefer staying with 3dsmax, that's why I was asking for a direct exporter. :blush:

#22 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:00 AM

View PostSweetErin, on 10 February 2014 - 01:15 AM, said:

i don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but i'd like the ability to switch between multiple passenger views

Within a single train car, or between cars? The latter is already implemented (Alt-Page Up/Down IIRC).

#23 Inactive_SweetErin_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:49 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 10 February 2014 - 03:00 AM, said:

Within a single train car, or between cars? The latter is already implemented (Alt-Page Up/Down IIRC).

well, i meant the latter, and thank you for that, and i don't know how useful it'd be, but, the former would be neat to have too (although, more realistically on like, 2 deck cars)

#24 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:23 AM

View PostGuille592, on 10 February 2014 - 02:18 AM, said:

I've already tried that and it doesn't seem to do anything to the file I'm trying to convert to. About blender, I didn't try it, but I prefer staying with 3dsmax, that's why I was asking for a direct exporter. :blush:

A similar question was asked a few weeks back with regard to Blender. http://www.elvastowe...lender-to-msts/

I know that 3dsMax will export a .3ds file and that the MSTS tools are capable of converting that into a usable model, but it is not a single step solution. I also know the method I set out in the last post of that thread works.

#25 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:35 AM

I would be happy if ORTS wouldn't always load day and night textures. This eats memory, CPU time and increases latency. Only the used texture could be loaded, and the second one could be loaded short before it is needed, and after the texture switch the preceding one could be unloaded.

#26 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 10 February 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

I would be happy if ORTS wouldn't always load day and night textures. This eats memory, CPU time and increases latency. Only the used texture could be loaded, and the second one could be loaded short before it is needed, and after the texture switch the preceding one could be unloaded.

A point on this that has only just come to my attention is that ONLY textures that are required should be loaded as any textures loaded take up GPU memory. Also the time and resources required to load them into this memory is a ___VERY___ scarce resource, particularly with only a single render thread.
This should not be confused with using a texture cache in main memory to help speed loading.

Lindsay

#27 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

Possibly Old/New Item.... Distance counter as used with modern diesels (part of the multifunction display).

/unused key/   start counting from zero to 99,999 units for route (feet or meters depending on mph or kph *or* regional settings)
SHIFT+ /unused key/   start counting towards zero from calculated train length (feet or meters depending on mph or kph for route *or* regional settings)

It's not feasible to add this to the cabview yet, but perhaps a live counter can added as a pop-up or within the HUD. Used to calculate if rear of train has cleared a control point, block isolation joint, siding switch, or speed limit increase.

Not too many keys left, so the `/~ key (upper left of the US keyboard) might be one alternative. J is unused, but probably reserved?

#28 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 10 February 2014 - 05:35 AM, said:

It loads both always? That's a huge waste of memory. Even to store them in system ram is not needed too, as the game always loading new textures as the train moves on new tiles, so loading night or day textures is a same process as loading the textures of a new tile or object in the view.
However i've proposed similar thing with the shadows. Shadows are computed even after sunset, while are not visible, so shadowing should be disabled at night, to save cpu and gpu time, make the PCs cooler :D lot of ppl using laptops these days, and those aren't have so good cooling.

#29 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

View Postdisc, on 11 February 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

:) lot of ppl using laptops these days, and those aren't have so good cooling.

Right there - even have mine sitting on some blocks of wood, so the air intakes on the bottom are a bit further away from the desk and don´t get clogged by paper or other things slipping in between the table and my computer. Nevertheless, my CPU´s temperature can rise to some 100C and even more at times... (If it goes beyond 135C, the system will automatically kill the process causing such high stress on the CPU).

Cheers, Markus

#30 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:23 AM

Best $30 I have spent on my laptop was a cooling pad with two fans... Noticeable reduction on internal temperatures and improved performance.

When running ORTS I'd get up to 75-80C, but with the pad, I'd stay in the 45-55C range.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users