#11 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostMatej Pacha, on 07 February 2014 - 06:05 AM, said:

I have a simple wish to add:
Sometimes it's necessary to have many MSTS (with route and global) folders, what can be easily linked to ORTS using "Installation profiles" - Add button in the menu. But what about trains? Sometimes I use the same trainset for all the routes, so I have to copy or move all the data to the MSTS folder in use. It would be great to have one Trainset folder for all routes. Or, just the option to consider one Trainset folder in more than one "Installation profile".

Matej, I've thought about that problem for a long time and I think I now have a suggestion that would help. You know how Libraries make it possible to logically insert many directory trees (each of which "lives" on different branches of the tree) into a library making it look like they're all "living" there? And how, in the consist file, on the last value on each WaagonData line is the directory where the .wag is found?

Well if the construction of the consist path (in consist.cs) could accept multiple directories concatenated into one value when it goes for that directory name then people could do this:

End users set up new directories that organize their roster they way they like. Could be things like "Locomotives_New_1939-1954" and "Locomotives_New_1954-1974" and so on. Put their .wags and .engs into those new directories. The way you do that doesn't have to be the way I do it. Then junction those new directories into how ever many different \trainset folders they want. The OR code comes along to construct the Wagondata path and it finds "Locomotives_New_1939-1954\3dt_Southern Pacific F7" and because of the junction, it can find the right .eng file.

It's conceptually just like the MS Library concept.

You could name one of those new directories "Use Everywhere" and junction it into all \trainset folders. Whatever .wag and .eng directories you put in there would then be available, well, everywhere. :wallbash:

#12 User is offline   Gman347 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

First, I just downloaded and ran one of the latest experimental versions of OR. You guys are all doing a great job and we owe you a very big thank you. :) :good: :) :sign_thanks: Makes me think: "So much is owed by so many to so few!"

Now, what I was thinking about. (If this has been discussed before then I apologize for not knowing and bringing it up again.):

There was another thread started here a couple of days ago about a track viewer. Has any thought ever been given to having a real time track view option within the sim to allow real time viewing of where you are and where you are going? I have tried both Railworks and Trainz and as I recall they both have this feature with the ability to zoom in and out which I think is very nice. When one installs a new route into TS it takes quite a while to become familiar with the route and you can't really enjoy activities until you gain that familiarity (IMHO). Having the ability to look at a map while running would be nice. In addition to showing you your position, ideally it would also show you where the rest of the traffic is on the route.

If the goal of OR is truly prototypical operation of trains with realistic controls and physics then I guess this feature doesn't fit in but in reality I believe the latter could enhance one's enjoyment of the former.

Just Wonderin'.

Best,

Paul :D

#13 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

Paul, what you´re suggesting is already there: Start ORTS in windowed mode, with the "Dispatcher Window" enabled in the options. Then press Ctrl + 9 and you should get exactly what you asked for :)

Cheers, Markus

#14 User is offline   Gman347 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

Well, I feel even dumber than if someone told me this had already been brought up!!:rotfl: Thanks for pointing that out Markus.

I didn't realize that OR worked that way. Can I claim that I missed it in the manual because it is discussed in the multiplayer section that I didn't think I needed to read? Probably not! RTFM - the whole thing!

Now, I am going to ask about one more thing that I hope is not too stupid a question. When I run the program in windowed mode two things happen that I wonder about. The primary window is stuck up in the upper left hand corner of my display and I can't move it. Also, when I press the dispatcher view does not pop up. Maybe it is under the primary display. But I need to make it visible by clicking on it the taskbar. Is that normal?

Sorry if I went somewhat off topic.:pardon:

Thanks,

Paul :lol2:

#15 User is offline   copperpen 

• Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

Yes. The dispatcher window starts minimised. Not sure though as to why your main game window sticks in the upper left. Mine is movable like any other window.

#16 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

No, you can´t say somebody is dumb just because they don´t know about something. If we knew about everything, what would we need scientists for? And are we all dumb, just because we´re not all scientists? :pardon:

Anyway, I got no problem getting the Dispatcher view to open in FRI´s latest X release: Under options, general put a tick in the box "Dispatcher Window", then before starting tick "Windowed" and when the game has loaded, press Ctrl + T (or whatever combination you chose in the keyboard options). I then got a symbol in the taskbar signifying that multiple instaces of ORTS were running. Clicking on the ORTS symbol in the taskbar, I could choose between the game and dispatcher window by clicking on them. Maybe try that in FRI´s X release, of which I´m sure it works.

Cheers, Markus

#17 User is offline   Guille592 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Some months ago I added a working timetable to the wishlist, now I'm adding an exporter from 3dsmax to OR, if it's possible. Why this? GMAX is nothing but a tremendous headache :pardon:

#18 User is offline   A Tejesember 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

View PostGuille592, on 09 February 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

Some months ago I added a working timetable to the wishlist, now I'm adding an exporter from 3dsmax to OR, if it's possible. Why this? GMAX is nothing but a tremendous headache :sign_rockon:

Since OR is still using the .s format, you can use conv3ds.exe in the UTILS folder of MSTS, can't you?

#19 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:43 AM

There is an exporter available for Blender. See: http://www.elvastowe...post__p__133342

#20 Inactive_SweetErin_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:15 AM

i don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but i'd like the ability to switch between multiple passenger views

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users