• You cannot reply to this topic

Steam Locomotive Sound vs Driver Rotation Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:06 AM

copperpen, on 05 March 2014 - 02:31 AM, said:

Variable 1 for sound files is wheel rotation in metres/sec so how is that matched to the OR variable1 of rad/sec?.

As I know it is also rad/s in MSTS. Alternatively, you can define a speed controlled curve, which is really meter/s. :sign_welcome:

#22 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:16 AM

gpz, on 05 March 2014 - 03:06 AM, said:

As I know it is also rad/s in MSTS. Alternatively, you can define a speed controlled curve, which is really meter/s. :sign_welcome:

http://msts.steam4me...s/sms_doku.html does say m/s:

Variable1 should be have been useful, but unfortunately appears of no use at all. It is the wheel rotation in m/s and depends on the diameter of the wheel and also almost certainly the number of animation frames in the model: I have not yet deciphered the format of this variable;

But then also that they don't know exactly how it works. Has anyone actually got any tested data on this?

#23 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:23 AM

It is the wheel rotation in m/s and depends on the diameter of the wheel

I know this reference. If it depends on diameter as well, then it means the speed [m/s] has to be divided by the diameter or radius [m], thus the unit will become: 1/s. Without meter. So what is written there is dumb.

#24 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:29 AM

gpz, on 05 March 2014 - 03:23 AM, said:

I know this reference. If it depends on diameter as well, then it means the speed [m/s] has to be divided by the diameter or radius [m], thus the unit will become: 1/s. Without meter. So what is written there is dumb.

That's not my interpretation; I read it to mean that it measures the speed the circumference of the wheel moves (which is, ignoring wheelslip, the same as the locomotive's speed). However, whether it actually is the locomotive speed in m/s is another matter - we really need hard data.

#25 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:34 AM

James Ross, on 05 March 2014 - 03:29 AM, said:

That's not my interpretation; I read it to mean that it measures the speed the circumference of the wheel moves (which is, ignoring wheelslip, the same as the locomotive's speed).

I know it wasn't you. :sign_welcome: If it was the same as locomotive speed, then it wouldn't depend on the wheel diameter, and also would be an absolutely useless feature.

#26 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:44 AM

gpz, on 05 March 2014 - 03:34 AM, said:

I know it wasn't you. :sign_welcome: If it was the same as locomotive speed, then it wouldn't depend on the wheel diameter, and also would be an absolutely useless feature.

No, it's not the value that depends on the wheel diameter - it's how you use it. E.g. if you want a chuff every 1/4th rotation of the wheel... you need to take the wheel diameter in to account because Variable1 doesn't. That is my interpretation of what that site says, anyway.

#27 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:47 AM

And I'm saying that in case Variable1 didn't take the wheel diameter into account, then it would be the same as locomotive speed, thus would be absolutely useless, and the programmer implemented that would have been fired.

On that site the author first writes down some contradictory information, then states that "I have not yet deciphered the format of this variable". Totally unreliable.

#28 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:54 AM

gpz, on 05 March 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

And I'm saying that in case Variable1 didn't take the wheel diameter into account, then it would be the same as locomotive speed, thus would be absolutely useless, and the programmer implemented that would have been fired.

What you didn't say, but should have, is that there is already a variable for speed; that's what I did not know. That just means that site is even more useless than it already was. We still need some hard data. :sign_welcome:

#29 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:06 AM

In that doku in addition to using m/s it also states that the animation frames can also affect the wheel rotation speed and thus the actual sound/animation synchronisation. This is indeed correct, at least for MSTS as I have used an adjustment of the second figure for animation in the S file to sync animation and sound for one engine, some time ago.

#30 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:14 AM

copperpen, on 05 March 2014 - 04:06 AM, said:

In that doku in addition to using m/s it also states that the animation frames can also affect the wheel rotation speed and thus the actual sound/animation synchronisation.

I don't believe it is true either. One could test it by assigning the same .eng with same .sms file to a different .s shape with different number of wheel animation frames. If the sound changes in MSTS, then there is a relation. But I don't think so, it wouldn't be logical.

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users