Elvas Tower: Screenshots in Succession - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Screenshots in Succession Supress Control Conformation not working Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:47 AM

I´ve had a similar problem about half a year back, and it turned out it was not only ORTS, but something havoc with my keyboard too. Have chosen another keypress combination for screenshots back then (in the options menu, tab "Keyboard", I think I chose Ctrl + D) and it worked flawlessly, in both modes. Then, after I had my keyboard fixed, I tried it again with the default key for screenshots, which didn´t work. Went back to Ctrl + D and everything´s fine.

Conclusion: You might just want to try to use another key combination for taking screenshots. The problem may well be, that PrintScreen is an OS key that actually makes the OS / graphics driver take a screenshot, which then somehow bypasses ORTS' screenshot processing.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Markus

#12 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:00 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 06 May 2014 - 04:47 AM, said:

Conclusion: You might just want to try to use another key combination for taking screenshots. The problem may well be, that PrintScreen is an OS key that actually makes the OS / graphics driver take a screenshot, which then somehow bypasses ORTS' screenshot processing.

This is the conclusion I came to as well (when I investigated ages ago). I don't think it's OS, but it's certainly "beyond" OR and it should only affect the Print Screen key.

#13 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:10 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 06 May 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

This is the conclusion I came to as well (when I investigated ages ago). I don't think it's OS, but it's certainly "beyond" OR and it should only affect the Print Screen key.

OK, so may I suggest then, to change the default ORTS screenshot key to something else than PrintScreen, before V 1.0 comes out? Will probably save a lot of trouble, since it would make the feature work "out of the box". Don´t know if Ctrl + P is still free, for example ;)

Cheers, Markus

#14 User is offline   nicober 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:50 AM

HI!

This problem with the Print Screen key in full screen seems affected only the owners of ATI-AMD/Radeon Graphic Card. I think all members of the OR teamm have a NVidia GC. This is explain why you don't encounter this problem. But I have not enough confirmations to draw any real conclusions.

To Markus, just for information what kind of GC do you use? - Thanks for your suggestion.

If I use FRAPS to capture the screenshots, I can take pictures in both mode without problem. It's true, In this case I affect a special keys for screenshots and video capture and don't use the Prnt/screen key.

#15 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

My GC is an AMD/ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5650 @ 1024 MB.

Cheers, Markus

#16 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:24 PM

That's weird...
I have an AMD HD7770 card, and an Intel i5-3570, running Win 7 Professional.
The "Print Scrn" seems to work fine for me in both windowed and full-screen on a resumed activity. - I just took a series of shots 1 per second, with X2214. There are no extra messages in the picture.
It also works with a freshly started activity in full screen. If I press the key in rapid succession, the messages about the picture save location do not appear until after I stop the key strokes, then they appear in sequence, after the pictures have been taken.
If I hold the "Print Scrn" key down, the pictures get taken about once per second. The only anomaly I noticed in this case is that the second picture was missing the text in the time and track monitor boxes - all of the subsequent pictures ( about five more) are complete. Strangely, I am not aware of any serious "freezing". My fps is about 150.

Cheers,
Sid

#17 User is offline   nicober 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:15 PM

Hi!

View PostJames Ross, on 06 May 2014 - 12:27 AM, said:

Yeah, something else is intercepting the screenshot command in full-screen as I mentioned. Unfortunately, I think it is the graphics drivers usually so it's not something you can just fix. Instead, you can run Open Rails with "fast full-screen alt-tab" enabled which may well bypass the problematic drivers.

I completely lost its usefulness for this option and Naturelly don't understand what you means.

When I found this option I remembered this post and I tried it immediatly.

When you are in Full Screen Mode and you checked this option, the Print Screen Key works normally. It bypass the problematic drivers and put all your screenshots in the good directory and also the message appears in the screen. Also the numerous screenshots work fine.

Options/Experimental/Fast full-screen alt-tab Checked - Enabled

Tested with X-2208 version.

Thanks for your suggestion Mr. Ross.

#18 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:54 AM

View Postnicober, on 08 May 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

I completely lost its usefulness for this option and Naturelly don't understand what you means.

When I found this option I remembered this post and I tried it immediatly.

When you are in Full Screen Mode and you checked this option, the Print Screen Key works normally. It bypass the problematic drivers and put all your screenshots in the good directory and also the message appears in the screen. Also the numerous screenshots work fine.

Great. :sweatingbullets:

This option changes full-screen so that instead of actually going in to "full-screen mode" (which is a special mode) we just make the window cover the entire screen. In effect, it is a fake full-screen. Because it is not the real "full-screen mode" we don't get problems with Print Screen, Alt-Tab and a number of other things, although the performance will be slightly lower.

#19 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:35 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 06 May 2014 - 12:27 AM, said:

Yeah, something else is intercepting the screenshot command in full-screen as I mentioned. Unfortunately, I think it is the graphics drivers usually so it's not something you can just fix. Instead, you can run Open Rails with "fast full-screen alt-tab" enabled which may well bypass the problematic drivers.

Right on, James - I forgot to say that I had selected this option, in my earlier post reporting no problems with the "Print Scrn" key. That is why I never saw the problem!

#20 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 06 May 2014 - 05:10 AM, said:

OK, so may I suggest then, to change the default ORTS screenshot key to something else than PrintScreen, before V 1.0 comes out? Will probably save a lot of trouble, since it would make the feature work "out of the box". Don´t know if Ctrl + P is still free, for example ;)

Changing the key is one option. We might also find a different way of capturing input that works better, but my preferred option currently is to enable "fast full-screen alt-tab" by default since that fixes this problem and a whole bunch of others. :)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users