How is the Smoke? Rate Topic: -----

#151 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:49 AM

Taken from the Tech Docs eng and wag document,

SteamSmokeUnitsPerPoundOfFuel
(Steam locomotives only). The number of smoke/steam units produced per pound of fuel. The higher this is the more smoke will be created by adding coal. Typical values between 3 and 8.

SteamMaxSmokeUnitsReleaseRate
(Steam locomotives only). The maximum number of smoke units that will be released at once. The maximum release rate per second. Values between 1 and 8

The lines in the Effects section work the same as for diesels.

#152 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

View Postelvasleis, on 13 February 2014 - 08:01 PM, said:

Hi,
I think the steam-smoke is looking good.

As for the diesel have a look at Chris's jet train.
It looks like the end of the Earth is occurring. :blush:

Regards Geoff.

IDK anymore when and where I´ve already mentioned it (or if I have already done so :rotfl: ), so instead of pointing there, I´ll repeat it ;)

Some of the more uncommon (in reality - like gas turbine powered trains) locomotives produced for MSTS need weird settings to produce good-looking exhaust. In ORTS, however, these are lee good-looking then MSTS, pitifully. There are two ways to cope with this (not counting the way of accepting it as it is):

You might have the utility I wrote take care of it, which I don NOT recommend for such "oddities" (smoke effects-wise) like gas turbine trains.

Manually fiddle with the data in the lines that start with "DieselSmoke" (they are pretty much self-explaining by their name).

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers, Markus

#153 User is offline   Monty 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

The diesel smoke in MSTS has been one of my worst hates. With Open Rails this hate has been solved. I have played around with different settings in OR for the past week but could not come up with something that was really to my liking. The problem was the diesel smoke ace file that is standard with MSTS. I downloaded 3dtrains free smoke file and wow what a massive change. I played around with the light smoke file with colour and alpha settings and came up with a very realistic grey blue smoke. A big thankyou to the guys from Open Rails. This is really top stuff. A thankyou to Marcus also for his utility file. Makes bulk changes a dream. Cheers Ziggy

#154 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

I'm really enjoying the latest diesel smoke in OR. I'm constantly experimenting to get the smoke "just right" for various locomotives--so much better than MSTS that there is really no comparison.

Now, my (repeated) pleading: Can the problem of full-throttle smoking from loose consist diesels PLEASE be moved up the priority list for a fix? Completely removing the loose consist diesel smoke as a temporary fix would be preferable to the current situation. That said, thank you so much to the developers for all of the continuing work on OR. It does just get better and better.

#155 User is offline   apostle282 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af10/apostle282/OpenRails2014-02-2212-53-28_zpsb50461a1.png

Can anyone help me with the duel stack smoke effect ?

#156 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:02 AM

Too low FPS?

#157 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:34 AM

View Postapostle282, on 22 February 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af10/apostle282/OpenRails2014-02-2212-53-28_zpsb50461a1.png

Can anyone help me with the duel stack smoke effect ?

First look for a different smokemain.ace. Second the effects lines are what you need, in particular Stack. You will see three lines of data. Line one is the position, line two is the direction and line three is the diameter. The smaller line three is, the smaller the initial effect anf the higher the effect will go. Fourth, use a reasonably up to date version of OR. Fifth, for dual stack you need two Stack sets in the Effects section of the eng file with the position set up so one is behind the other.

However, if you are referring to the seemingly dual stack effect visible, that is due to the new particle physics and can be masked by using a better smokemain.ace. there are several about to try.

#158 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/ ORTS

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

I changed my smoke.ace and got much better results. Much more real. Also figured which numbers make the cock exhaust shoot down at 45 deg.
Attached Image: runactivity 2014-02-22 23-03.jpg
Attached Image: runactivity 2014-02-15 22-10.jpg

#159 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 24 February 2014 - 07:34 AM, said:

However, if you are referring to the seemingly dual stack effect visible, that is due to the new particle physics and can be masked by using a better smokemain.ace. there are several about to try.

The new partial physics does not cause multiple streams of smoke to be emitted as shown in the picture. However, the steam 'chuff' code, if it is still enabled, might do.

#160 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:11 AM

That actually only existed in one X-version before it was removed. Probably what's causing the problem...

Robert

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users