• You cannot reply to this topic

DRGW Green River Ace in the hole (UP) Activity Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

Had an interesting experience with this activity, proved how well the signals work in Open Rails, and how to overcome a difficulty by switching between Auto and Manual. Activity is picking up a disabled train with a pair of Ace's. It's necessary to change cabs to complete the activity.

The activity also has a reverse point in it. The reverse point is at the wrong place (maybe not for MSTS but for Open Rails it is too soon).

By the time you reached the disabled train and coupled on ... the two engine player consist is off path. I did not notice this and saved right before the couple. When I tried to resume - I got the "WSOD" and a nice plink sound. (I suppose because I saved while off path). Realizing my error I switched to Manual right after I coupled onto the disabled train and then saved. I was able to resume and start again --- in Manual and still off path so I could not switch back to Auto.

Soon after getting back on the path and switching to Auto I came to a red signal at a siding, ahead on the single main track was a traffic train also stopped for red. A deadlock?....not quite. First I tried to tab through - no result. Then I switched to Manual and was able tab through -- although the grumpy permission guy is still a little confused about permission. The signals change correctly, but he's is no mode to give permission.
Ignoring him and watching the signals I moved onto the siding using the manual switch and when I cleared the main track the traffic train got a Yellow to proceed (while still in manual mode) and when I got off the siding back onto the main I switched to Auto and continued to activity to completion.

This shows me that Open Rails is flexible enough to overcome difficulties in activities. I don't believe there's a bug here, nor is the activity written wrong. It was fun figuring it out. No backing up to trigger the signal, no fuss, seems all the controls are there to get through the situation. Possibly there was an easier way around this, my inexperience did not allow me to see it. Cheers rhs (Gerry)

#2 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:45 PM

Just an update to me fooling around ... I remembered that one could switch off the helper engines... so after coupling onto the disabled train I made sure to open the Locomotive Information in the HUD display and watch. RPM's spun down on the two engines, and the physics took over, consist much harder to pull with two dead locomotives. I know this is basic stuff to most of you, but at my level (down here playing with blocks and coloring outside the lines) this is pretty cool stuff. What would it take to have the HUD display on a second monitor with most if not all of the information laid out in some sort of "instrument panel" where all the data could be visibly accessed at any time? I'll post something on the Open Rails Wish List thread. Cheers rhs (Gerry)

Ps: Even though the train is back on path the Consist Information portion of the HUD still shows it being Out of Path? (screenshot attached)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: PahOut.JPG

#3 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

One of the things that I would hope the OR team can figure out is to offer an option of either shutting down a locomotive OR just "isolating" it--the latter taking the locomotive off-line, but leaving it idling. The other cool thing would be to implement AES--automatic engine shutdown--that is now used on prototype railroads to save fuel. Most of the parameters necessary to implement it are already in place in OR. A GE ES-44 manual that is available on-line gives a great description of how AES works in "real life."

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

View Postrailguy, on 15 December 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

One of the things that I would hope the OR team can figure out is to offer an option of either shutting down a locomotive OR just "isolating" it--the latter taking the locomotive off-line, but leaving it idling. The other cool thing would be to implement AES--automatic engine shutdown--that is now used on prototype railroads to save fuel. Most of the parameters necessary to implement it are already in place in OR. A GE ES-44 manual that is available on-line gives a great description of how AES works in "real life."

Thanks, I'll go look at it. I'm in favor of most anything that moves Open Rails towards a real life simulator. After shutting down both locomotives, the run back to Grand Junction just went differently, consist was "heavier", harder to stop with all that dead weight behind the power, more interesting. Cheers rhs (Gerry)

#5 User is offline   timothyskinner 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:56 AM

Hi Gerry - alternative here is to alter start time for the AI train (the one which you get into a stand-off with).

This activity is yet another example of poor beta testing of payware activities. You don't want just experienced simmers who ride speed limits to beta test.

Writing this out reminds me that both Streamlines and MLT sell improperly tested activities, to even things up I will post something...

Timothy

#6 User is offline   A Tejesember 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

View Postrailguy, on 15 December 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

One of the things that I would hope the OR team can figure out is to offer an option of either shutting down a locomotive OR just "isolating" it--the latter taking the locomotive off-line, but leaving it idling.

If you mean this like not shutting down the engines, just make them not respond to throttle, it is already there too. In the F9 Train Operations window, if you click on a locomotive, an other window pops up where you can turn the engine down, or disconnect it from the Multiple Unit line. See this image, where only the first Dash9 is generating tractive force.

#7 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

View Posttimothyskinner, on 12 February 2014 - 06:56 AM, said:

Hi Gerry - alternative here is to alter start time for the AI train (the one which you get into a stand-off with).

This activity is yet another example of poor beta testing of payware activities. You don't want just experienced simmers who ride speed limits to beta test.

Writing this out reminds me that both Streamlines and MLT sell improperly tested activities, to even things up I will post something...

Timothy

Yep, did that. Since I ran this activity last December, I've learned a liitle bit more and ORTS has jumped ahead quite a lot. I enjoy finding a work around with some of these activities, that's part of the fun for me. I am now working with cabviews and learning the dispatch window in ORTS. Lots to do. Thanks for the advice.

#8 User is offline   Claude350 

• Hostler

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

View Posttimothyskinner, on 12 February 2014 - 06:56 AM, said:

Timothy

You have to keep in mind that what works in MSTS my not work well in ORTS. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it was poorly written because the activity doesn't work in ORTS. ORTS is still a work in progress. You should expect problems between the two. I've had problem with many activities in ORTS and they work as designedd in MSTS. I will usually test activities in both programs to find where the problems occur.

#9 User is offline   timothyskinner 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

View PostClaude350, on 13 February 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

You have to keep in mind that what works in MSTS my not work well in ORTS. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it was poorly written because the activity doesn't work in ORTS. ORTS is still a work in progress. You should expect problems between the two. I've had problem with many activities in ORTS and they work as designedd in MSTS. I will usually test activities in both programs to find where the problems occur.

It doesn't work in either unless you ride speed limits.

There is a second alternative, Steve Davis has produced a Switchlist Generator allowing changes in switches and signals during an activity.

The stand off occurs at Mack where the famous - indeed fabulous - Uintah Railway branched out to Watson close to the White River many miles north. Amongst many interesting items, the Uintah gave rise to the mining towns of Watson, Dragon, Uintah and Atchee which were known haunts of a certain Mr B Cassidy while the Railway Superintendent happened to be a Mr Earp. That the UR never crossed the White River resulted in the established stagecoach town of Vernal (a few miles further north) becoming the largest US town never to have a railroad. If anyone is interested in building the route please contact me.

And, the RGW mainline did not descend from Mack to Ruby Canyon until after the Unitah was built. The old line may still be traced on high ground to the west.

#10 User is offline   Claude350 

• Hostler

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

View Posttimothyskinner, on 14 February 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

It doesn't work in either unless you ride speed limits.

There is a second alternative, Steve Davis has produced a Switchlist Generator allowing changes in switches and signals during an activity.

The stand off occurs at Mack where the famous - indeed fabulous - Uintah Railway branched out to Watson close to the White River many miles north. Amongst many interesting items, the Uintah gave rise to the mining towns of Watson, Dragon, Uintah and Atchee which were known haunts of a certain Mr B Cassidy while the Railway Superintendent happened to be a Mr Earp. That the UR never crossed the White River resulted in the established stagecoach town of Vernal (a few miles further north) becoming the largest US town never to have a railroad. If anyone is interested in building the route please contact me.

And, the RGW mainline did not descend from Mack to Ruby Canyon until after the Unitah was built. The old line may still be traced on high ground to the west.

Ok I understand what you mean now. Thanks for the clarification.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users