• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS Wish List 2013-03 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

I would like to easily associate to each passenger train and to each station stop a sound file that is played when the train is going to depart (this could be done in an enhanced Activity Editor). Examples of such sound files for all (!) Italian trains can be found in the website www.e656.net . Here you have a page about Milano Centrale http://www.e656.net/...06-alle-12.html . Click on any loudspeaker symbol in the last column, download the .mp3 file and play it (same artificial voice as in real announcements).

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

One more idea: Recently I learned that an AI consist would "appear" out of thin air at the start of its run and "disappear" at the end. How about adding some logic to the Activity code to allow the activity designer to choose between the original MSTS practice or having the AI train physically present before and/or after its run (i.e., something like LoadBeforeRun( Yes | No ) and (RemoveAfterRun ( Yes | No ). For compatibility purposes the default should be the same as what MSTS does.

What prompted the idea was thinking about having an AI train pull into a yard and the player assignment is to break down train using a switch engine.

#3 User is offline   CGW121 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 05 March 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

One more idea: Recently I learned that an AI consist would "appear" out of thin air at the start of its run and "disappear" at the end.

I found that out when testing an activity. Had an AI train suddenly appear right in front of me heading straight for me. To say I was surprised would be an understatement. In a similier vein we have a wait statement that tells Hal to make this train wait here for x amount of seconds. It would be nice, and more prototypical to have a wait until statement where the train waits until another train passes, I.E extra 120 west, wait at Wasco for train 143. No time limit just wait like a train order would say.

#4 User is offline   Mipman25 

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

What prompted the idea was thinking about having an AI train pull into a yard and the player assignment is to break down train using a switch engine.

I'd like to see that. It would make for some great station switching in Chicago Union Station.

#5 Inactive_jasondial_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Altimeter display in the HUD (and remove software version and other non-realistic data)... I prefer mountainous routes and I believe it would add significantly to the simulation experience if the current altitude were displayed in the HUD. Would add quite a bit of drama in steep uphill or downhill sections and it's nothing an engineer couldn't have in real life by attaching a sports watch to his panel with Velcro. Of course the unit of measurement would need match that of the route (Imperial vs. Metric). It would just be really cool to watch the altitude rise and fall as you progress through a route. Also, I am against any "software" or other "non-realistic" info in the HUD, such as software version -- such a thing blows the sim -- everytime I look at the HUD and see the software version i think "oh, yeah, this is only a sim, that sucks!"

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

I would like to have a camera following the train similar to cameras 2 and 3, but tethered (bound) to a road running more or less parallel to the tracks, when there is such a road.

#7 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

Or take over a passenger train once it arrives at the terminus.

Definitely one for my wish list - thanks,

#8 Inactive_PM1225_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

View Postjasondial, on 10 March 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Altimeter display in the HUD (and remove software version and other non-realistic data)... I prefer mountainous routes and I believe it would add significantly to the simulation experience if the current altitude were displayed in the HUD. Would add quite a bit of drama in steep uphill or downhill sections and it's nothing an engineer couldn't have in real life by attaching a sports watch to his panel with Velcro. Of course the unit of measurement would need match that of the route (Imperial vs. Metric). It would just be really cool to watch the altitude rise and fall as you progress through a route. Also, I am against any "software" or other "non-realistic" info in the HUD, such as software version -- such a thing blows the sim -- everytime I look at the HUD and see the software version i think "oh, yeah, this is only a sim, that sucks!"

I wonder if the altimeter could be incorporated in the compass (0 key) somehow, either with a small graphic or simply an elevation above sea level in feet?

#9 User is offline   sawyer811 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Trainz/MSTS

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

I hope nobody minds me bumping this, but with ORTS being used in place of "straight" MSTS (Open Rails tends to get along better with my system), I've noticed a few things that I've been wanting to mention in this thread. Bear in mind, please, that I'm no programmer, and thus can be ignored if you feel so inclined.

1) Fixing wheel rotation on AI steam engines: I'm a steam breather through and through (I sometimes wonder if my heart is actually a firebox, with steam and steam oil for blood...) and I run steam more often than anything else in MSTS/ORTS. However, I loathe that feeling of being the "only train on the road;" especially on big routes like V11 of the PO&N or Paul Charland's amazing DAR--you just know that someone has to be out there doing SOMETHING, dang it!

However, I've found that ORTS and AI steam trains don't get along; it's somewhat irritating to a rivet-counter like me to see Derek Miller's WP 4-6-0 No. 94 go by me with her driving wheels locked in place, sliding down the tracks and dead silent, with only the rattle of wheels against the rail joints to lend to the scene.

Besides the obvious damage to the running gear, it's just...infuriating to the guy who literally nitpicked the location of road grime on a fellow N-scaler's steam engine. The only thing I can think of that's causing this issue is the lack of an open throttle; I once had this same "locked up and sliding" action happen to me whilst driving M&URR No. 5, when I started my run on a 2-3 percent downgrade with about fifteen loaded cars behind me. with the throttle shut down, the engine slid down the hill ("skated" as I've come to call the phenomenon) but once I barely cracked the throttle (opened it literally to just 1% ) the wheels began to rotate properly.

2) Return of the steam effects: some people here have harped on this already, but I feel as if I need to chime in. One of the things I always loved about MSTS, even over my well-loved and heavily used preferred sim of TS2010, are the steam effects of the locomotives. the way the exhaust plume lightens and darkens depending on the amount of fuel in the fire, the steam the blasts from the cylinder cocks as you roll with them open, the whistle plume, and all the others. Now, I feel like ORTS has really gotten rid of that; it's no better than TS2010 now, really, with the smoke being all the same type, always the same color, and with none of the usual whisps one associates with a working locomotive.

#10 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

View Postsawyer811, on 24 March 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

1) Fixing wheel rotation on AI steam engines: I'm a steam breather through and through (I sometimes wonder if my heart is actually a firebox, with steam and steam oil for blood...) and I run steam more often than anything else in MSTS/ORTS. However, I loathe that feeling of being the "only train on the road;" especially on big routes like V11 of the PO&N or Paul Charland's amazing DAR--you just know that someone has to be out there doing SOMETHING, dang it!

I believe this has been fixed, please check out the latest experimental release.

View Postsawyer811, on 24 March 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

2) Return of the steam effects: some people here have harped on this already, but I feel as if I need to chime in. One of the things I always loved about MSTS, even over my well-loved and heavily used preferred sim of TS2010, are the steam effects of the locomotives. the way the exhaust plume lightens and darkens depending on the amount of fuel in the fire, the steam the blasts from the cylinder cocks as you roll with them open, the whistle plume, and all the others. Now, I feel like ORTS has really gotten rid of that; it's no better than TS2010 now, really, with the smoke being all the same type, always the same color, and with none of the usual whisps one associates with a working locomotive.

Likewise, we've added some initial attempts at more steam locomotive effects - cylinder cocks and whistle now work - and also tied the density and colour of emissions to the efficiency of the engine. Bear in mind that the steam locomotive physics in OR are still below what we'd like to achieve and the effects will be limited by that for now too.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users