• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

X1843 Add smoothing of simulation updates Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

I have just downloaded 1852 and tried it using the Surfliner 2 route, and noticed that the sound on starting is normal, then drops to almost nothing in the outside view. Moving into the cab, sound is restored to the normal level again.

The stuttering mentioned by Dennis has always been present on my system in varying degrees and is always worse when advanced adhesion is on. Having this on also extends the load process time by almost double.

#12 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

View Postgpz, on 10 November 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

... when you say "Somewhere in the latest versions fits of stuttering seem to have returned"? I'm just asking this because I made some modification of sound handling in r1849, and it is important for me to know if you mentioned version before or after this r1849. Thanks!

I skipped from X1846, where performance seemed quite good, to X1852. My first impression was that sound volume in internal views was now much greater than in external views. I had to turn the volume down to the point where sound in external views was almost inaudible. I have an activity which gives OR some headaches and Sound processor usage is generally high. The Sound processor usage seems to have increased a little, but this is a bit subjective because of the continual fluctuations. The worst stuttering seems to coincide with very high Sound processor usage (80%+) - but again this is subjective. I have an AMD 4 x 3.4GHz processor and on my main test activity the average usage (all cores) is in excess of 75%.

Dennis

#13 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

View Postdennisat, on 10 November 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

I skipped from X1846, where performance seemed quite good, to X1852. My first impression was that sound volume in internal views was now much greater than in external views. I had to turn the volume down to the point where sound in external views was almost inaudible.

In fact external sound volume might have changed relatively to the internal one, but I think the absolute value of internal sound volume was not changed. (Anyway, it shouldn't have any effect on stuttering.)

I have an activity which gives OR some headaches and Sound processor usage is generally high. The Sound processor usage seems to have increased a little, but this is a bit subjective because of the continual fluctuations.

I think it might be really subjective, since nothing in my modification should increase this a little. In fact it could do the opposite, if at all: decreasing it a little. And if something had gone wrong, it would have been increased noticeably, I think.

The worst stuttering seems to coincide with very high Sound processor usage (80%+) - but again this is subjective. I have an AMD 4 x 3.4GHz processor and on my main test activity the average usage (all cores) is in excess of 75%.
Do I understand right, that nothing was changed about this in latest versions, or at least at change from 1846 to 1852?

Edit: After some investigation I made a revision in r1853 regarding the cabview sounds. I'm sorry for not believing you for the first time. :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users