Elvas Tower: SJ T44 MSTS upgrade problem - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SJ T44 MSTS upgrade problem Upgrading the SJ T44 to Open Rails standards Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BenDragon1337 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

I've been trying to upgrade the SJ T44 seen here http://www.simulator...-freight-train/ up to OR standards for Open Rails Multiplayer sessions, including switchable lights, a fully operational cab, revamped sounds (basically in short, a general overhaul) as part of a prototype which I would then completely re-do all fo the custom rolling material from various addons to the same level (all units with cabs are equipped with with cabs, which would be able to be switched into by pressing control + E and thus, when changed round the lights will be changed round too).

The sounds are basically done (I got sounds to replace the old GP 38-2 sounds, which I knew didn't sound at all like the prototype, so I found some other ones on another model and changed them over).

I am planning to tweak the various sounds to make the loco sound better then it does already though, but not at the moment.

As for the lights, I posted a bug about the light problem, so they will not be done for a while yet, so basically that's on hold for the time being.

Then comes the cab, which has a few visual problems (as seen in the attachment below).

Apparently the reverser and the light has glitched (not displaying properly).

Both the reverser and headlight are set up in the .cvf as having 3 frames (but they're set up only for frames 1 and 3, excluding 2).

I took a look into the accompanying .ace file using the TGATool2, and noticed there were only 2 images of the states for those particular handles.

As you know, the reverser and headlight use tri state switches within the .cvf file and from what I could gather, the original author's intention was to use the 2 frames within the .ace file for the 3 states.

Unfortunately, when I tried it in OR, OR treated the 3 states as default and thus, the image containing 2 frames got split up into 3 equal steps, meaning that glitches start appearing and the levers start to get misplaced because of the misalignment of the frame with the actual projection, meaning on the first and third setting, the image repeats itself once it gets to the end.

I've been scanning the internet for a resource on how to fix a problem like this, but there is little information on the .cvf files.

The closest thart I've ever gotten to a solution was on http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/ which talks about the cab views, and the .cvf file... but what it doesn't talk about would be manually setting switch positions, it goes into the "Train Simulator Editors & Tools" application, which I do not have access to at this current moment in time. Others just talk about things like camera positions, stuff which I've learnt about while doing the lights on the same loco.

I've considered making a new lever position for the missing position of each of the levers, but the reverser would be hard with all of the chrome, not sure if I can replicate the original author precisely to create a good enough effect to make it seem like it's apart of the rest of the vehicle, not some addon that I did.

I've also considered modifying the .cvf to re-align the existing images that I've got on hand, but with the little knowledge that I could retrieve from looking around the net, I'd better not risk breaking it and ask someone with a little bit more experience then I have.

I was wondering what sort of approach I should take with something like this, because there seems to be no easy way to solve this.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Problem.png

This post has been edited by BenDragon1337: 27 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

#2 User is offline   vanstek 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

BenDragon1337, on 27 October 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

, it goes into the "Train Simulator Editors & Tools" application, which I do not have access to at this current moment in time.

If you have MSTS, you can start the MSTS main program by C:| xxx\xxx\Train Simulator\train.exe
you can start the MSTS editor and tools by C:| xxx\xxx\Train Simulator\train.exe -toolset
Wim

#3 User is offline   BenDragon1337 

• Fireman

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:56 AM

Perhaps I didn't clarify what I meant by 'didn't have access to the MSTS editors and tools app'.

The reason I said that I didn't have access to it, is not a problem that I can't find it, it's a problem of me installing it from another installation file which doesn't have MSTS equipped with it.

You maybe wondering why MSTS editors and tools wasn't included within the installation?

The installation is a foreign file which is not really one which I am not familiar with and it's based on a language which I cannot understand.

The reason that I resorted to this installation was because I cannot find one of the 2 original MSTS CDs from the package that I bought (they got separated from each other), so a friend supplemented an installation which could install MSTS on a windows 7 64 bit OS and gave me basic instructions on how to install it.

This post has been edited by BenDragon1337: 10 November 2013 - 04:36 AM

#4 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

May I ask what language your pack is in? Maybe someone from the Forum could help with it (i´d do it for German, e.g.)

Cheers, Markus

#5 User is offline   BenDragon1337 

• Fireman

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

(post section removed)

The thing is, since the first thread post, things have changed and different stuff has been made available, including a new Tools and utilities which I am going to try out as soon as stuff progresses further, beyond those 2 .mdf files.

All I wonder, is "is this relevant to my current problem"? I've probability read about why MSTS tools & utilities is important during the cab creation process, but I don't see why that should be my main priority now since there are other problems that prevents me from using the application to fix the problem directly.

I guess the main problem would be these 2 ACE files located in these ace files:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/lights.ace
http://filesmelt.com/dl/reverser.ace

The equivalent .bmp images are in the attachments below to show you the problem I am trying to fix.

Although, I am intrigued at what MSTS tools and utilities can do with just these 2 images as I admit never trying the package out much except for a bit of route editing.

I guess what I am aiming for would be to try and generate that third image that's sorely needed so I can get the cab over and done with.

Attached File(s)

#6 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

It might be a good idea to edit your post and remove the link for warez content. (Anyway, the language of the page is Bulgarian.)

#7 User is offline   BenDragon1337 

• Fireman

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:44 AM

The thing is, the installer itself is warez content, so that would mean there's no way for markus_GE to dissipater the installer without it, which would make this section unanswerable.

#8 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

Looks like I can´t help here. It´s not only about warez (have always kept my finger away from it and intend to do so furthermore), but also I don´t understand bulgarian. I also doubt that with warez someone would be willing to help.

Anyway, I´m sorry this attempt to help didn´t proove too much helpful... :pleasantry:

Yours, Markus

#9 User is offline   BenDragon1337 

• Fireman

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

Hey, don't beat yourself over it, you were willing to help and that's what counts, whether the attempt was successful or not.

As they say, it's the thought that counts.

Furthermore, I fully understand why someone wouldn't want to help me because of my "wares" package, which is why I removed the link without asking questions, it's until I removed the link that I posted another post, stuff like that isn't generally welcome on any type of forums.

The reason I posted that link in the first place, would be to try to aid you in assisting me and not to distribute a pirate package, and it was well in acceptable circumstances that gpz warned me about the link.

So it's no one's fault, it's just the way the forums in general work.

No harm done. :sorry:

#10 User is offline   cwvs 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, OpenRails

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

Hello All!

I have read where your ace file has two frames on the image. I do not have access to that locomotive, but maybe you could try the following to see if it works. Here is an example from another file:

TriState (
Type ( FRONT_HLIGHT TRI_STATE )
Position ( 577 247 62 81 )
Graphic ( "..\\..\\Dash9\\Cabview\\Lights.ace" )
NumFrames ( 3 3 1 )
Style ( NONE )
MouseControl ( 1 )
Orientation ( 0 )
DirIncrease ( 1 )
)

Try editing as follows:

MultiStateDisplay (
Type ( FRONT_HLIGHT MULTI_STATE_DISPLAY )
Position ( 577 247 62 81 )
Graphic ( "..\\..\\Dash9\\Cabview\\Lights.ace" )
States ( 2 2 1
State (
Style ( 0 )
SwitchVal ( 0 )
)
State (
Style ( 0 )
SwitchVal ( 1 )
)
)

)

See if that accomplishes what you want to do. Of course, make sure you back-up the original first.

Good luck!

Bob :sorry:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users