• You cannot reply to this topic

Am I pickey? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

I am really frustrated to find that I am still not able to load a MSTS route into OR without getting Errors.

This is a situation that may never be resolved. While OR was originally mooted as an 'advanced replacement' for MSTS, in practice this has been almost impossible to achieve - thus the future development of OR will be towards making a stand alone sim, with advanced features not possible by tying it to the old MSTS.

Twelve years on, MSTS has had a miraculous life. That extended life has only been possible by the hard work of many people over that period. There have also been the two huge disappoints regarding the future of the sim - MS cancelling the development work on two later versions of MSTS, the last version apparently well advanced at the time of it's sudden demise. Open Rails, not MSTS, is the future, IMO. Ironically, this is the beginning of the 13 year of MSTS version 1.0.

Cheers Bazza
MSTS user since the pre-release beta of mid 2001.

#12 User is offline   ChrisD 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

View Postroeter, on 05 October 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

This picture shows what I mean.
The full switch is shown in red - you have to stand your train in front of the red pole if you want to throw the switch.
Attachment scenic_switch.jpg

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink

I am Sorry, Rob, but I am not able to load RE so I can not check it out.

I have, however, tried to back-up a few meters at a time, using "View 2" to see everything from above, but has been unable to locate any switch that changes position (F8 window show that some switch does respond, but not within visible range.)

Another matter:

I am puzzled that mr Campbell seems to think I am ranting (he has not been in since), but I think my post may not be elegant, but certainly relevant.

As stated before:

Since OR has no Native Route Editor available, we have to do with the tracks MSTS RE lays down. No tracks - no railroad, no railroad - no trains, no trains - no TrainSimulator, it is as simple as that.

What fascinates people from over the World about Railroads, including myself, is the tracks. The fact that a train always follows the track. Lay out a big Yard with lots of switches, and You can direct trains all over the place, just by setting the switches right.

Frankly, I do not need Multiplayer or complicated signalling schemes or physics, as long as I do not have a working track..

OR is Your Program, and of course You can do what You want, but I really think You should put a little more effort into getting the basics right..

I enjoy OR very much, so I really want it to prosper and succeed. That is why I bother writing this post, and no I am not "ranting".

Rob, my offer is still open. I will donate a paid copy of the Route in question, in order to get this issue fixed.

The guys at Wizzart publish several German Routes for MSTS, and thay are about the last few that does, keeping MSTS AND OR alive, so I think they are worth a bit of attention.

Maybe, if they were approached by somebody from the OR-team about the problems their Routes causes in OR, they may be persuaded to start testing their Routes with OR before releasing, just a hope.

In the meantime, I will just put this title aside and drive a different one. It is only a Hobby, but one get carried away sometimes.

Keep up the good work, and I hope, no bad feelings.. :pardon:

ChrisD

#13 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

I am puzzled that mr Campbell seems to think I am ranting (he has not been in since), but I think my post may not be elegant, but certainly relevant.

Hi'ya Chris,

Polite robust discussions are welcome and healthy. You're entitled to express your opinions and ET provides a forum/s for that exercise. Whether anyone agees, or disagrees, with views expressed on any subject, is up to the individuals concerned.

Open Rails is under continuous development and what is a problem today, may not be a problem tomorrow...we hope. As I said in another post, complete MSTS compatibility may remain a dream.

Cheers Bazza

#14 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostChrisD, on 08 October 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

I am Sorry, Rob, but I am not able to load RE so I can not check it out.

I have, however, tried to back-up a few meters at a time, using "View 2" to see everything from above, but has been unable to locate any switch that changes position (F8 window show that some switch does respond, but not within visible range.)

If you enable the track/signalling debugging view, with Control-Alt-F11, you should be able to identify where the switch is very much like the red pole in the MSTS RE. (I am pretty sure that will show the same place, but I might be wrong.)

#15 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

Hm, I wonder if the answer could be quite trivial: if you look at the arrows in the F4 and in the F8 pop-up window, the switch that has changed state is the one BEHIND the viewer, and not that IN FRONT of the viewer, that in fact remains on straigh away in both F8 window (it's the switch BELOW) and in the main window. Try switching the switch with Shift-G instead of G and you should solve your problem.

#16 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostChrisD, on 08 October 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

Another matter:

This is intended to be a friendly post, it possibly may not read that way, but its certainly the intention :pardon:.

An interested bystander comments!

The original post reads a little bit like a rant I may say. It was NOT clear if you were reporting a bug or just "slinging off" at OR. Remember on a list such as this we CANNOT see if you are serious by your emotional reactions as one does in a face to face meeting but can only read from what you have writen.

I have only once run into the situation of which you speak when free roaming, but OR usually behaves OK when roaming, so it may not be possible in general terms to verify what you say. Its likely as Captain Bazza said that OR will never load an MSTS route without errors as as released MSTS had plenty of bugs and a lot of people over the years have done much work to get around these and its not always possible to cater for everything everyone has done.

An important point, no matter what your emotional state running down the developers even indirectly will not be helping your cause. These people including Mr Cambell are putting an MASSIVE amount of there OWN time so we can in the future continue to enjoy a good train sim and the work being done by countless people around the world.

In the end the only way forward is likely to be more testing to try an isolate the error. try to find if anyone else running the route has the same problem. Sending a copy of such a paid item is almost certainly a breach of the intelectual property rights.

Many of us here on ELvastower have done very much work to try an assist the main developers, it is in the end a community development project.

Its clear by the developers actions OR is NOT just "there" train simulator its the worlds train simulator its up to as many of us as possible to do what we can to help.

Lindsay

#17 User is offline   ChrisD 

• Hostler

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

Lindsay.

Please read my post again. I was offering a paid for copy of the route. I will pay the 15 EUR and give the genine download link to the interested developer.

ChrisD

#18 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

Chrisd, please do this:

Run the route and get back to the situation where the trouble is located, just like your screen shot.
Press <cntl><alt>f11 You should see a something like this:

Attached Image: sw1.jpg
See all that text by each switchstand? "2 set" means straight, "1 set" means diverging.
Take a screenshot and post it here.
Use the G key to throw the switch. It should look different, just as this one does:

Attached Image: sw2.jpg

Take another screenshot so we can see what's changed.

When you want to turn off that extra stuff that is displayed, do <cntl><alt>f11 again.

#19 User is offline   ChrisD 

• Hostler

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:52 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 08 October 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

Chrisd, please do this:
When you want to turn off that extra stuff that is displayed, do <cntl><alt>f11 again.

Rob and Genma. Thank You for pointing out the CTL-ALT-F11 debug view. :cheers3: This has really helped me out. I have been busy for the last two hours, learning and experiencing.

Before I continue.

My first post may seem a bit frustrated, and that was exactly what I was. I did not file a bug report because I did not know what I was up against, so I simply chose to write here in this common thread.

Reading the replies, it realize that my post could be interpreted as a negative rant against OR. This was not my intention.

I hereby apologize to anybody that may have been offended.

ChrisD

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users