• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brakes take forever to Pump Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 21 September 2013 - 04:01 AM, said:

Patience, Grasshopper*, it takes time to puff up all the brakeline. :) Of course it depends on how length your train is, too.

Cheers Bazza

*Catchphrase from an 1970's TV show whos name I forget....;)

Cheers Bazza

Pass trains release faster largely because they have a second brake pipe thats an air supply line to all the trains auxilary resivours (Note 1). THey also use a more complex valve called a distributor which amongst other things allows the driver to partialy release the brakes. OR does support 2 pipe brake systems and partial brake release and has for some time.
To enable this one uses "twin pipe" instead of "single pipe" in the vehicles eng/wag file.

THe TV show mentioned was "Kung Fu", Kane was called "Grasshoppper" because when he first entered the monastry for tuiton he failed to hear a grasshopper walking across the floor.

Note 1: Not only pass's have this now I noticed the second pipe being fitted to some hopper wagons.

#12 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

Apart from the overall release rate, no. of wagons/coaches, single/double brakepipes etc., this line in the .eng file also has a significant impact on the brake release rate :
	MaxReleaseRate( 7 )

I have found that this value differs greatly between various engines, from 0.75 to 15.
No idea what a realistic value should be.

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink

#13 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

Now, Lindsay´s post throws to my mind another question: What´s the "Graduated realease" Checkbox in OpR´s Options>General tab for then? Do I always Need to check it, when going to drive a pass Train, and uncheck it for the next freight Train?

Cheers, Markus

#14 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

View Postroeter, on 21 September 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

Apart from the overall release rate, no. of wagons/coaches, single/double brakepipes etc., this line in the .eng file also has a significant impact on the brake release rate :
	MaxReleaseRate( 7 )

I have found that this value differs greatly between various engines, from 0.75 to 15.
No idea what a realistic value should be.

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink

On modern-ish (say, post 1960's with a distirbutor fitted) pass rolling stock I have set this value to 40. This was based on a long series of brake tests trying to emulate the brake behavior on a particular BZN class pass car here in Victoria (Australia). The particular car in question has its brake gauge in the foyer connected to the brake line and not as all the others are to Auixilarly resivour so one can see how the brake line behaves. This showed on the brake release the pressure rose almost instantly to around 3 pounds below the normal pressure (70 psi here in Vic) over the next 3/4's of a second the needle rose the last 3 pounds, this being in the last car of a six car pass. I assume the last 3 pound rise was due the to Auxilary res being replenshed from the main res brake line.

I found the drivers here in Vic normally released the train brakes once the train came to a stop at the platform, I assume they were holding the train stopped using the loco brake only. So I have since taken up to using this technique.

A value of 40 closely emulated this behaviour.

On the rolling stock for route Port Hedland to BHP MAC the developer of the route has set the brake values to correctly (on MSTS anyway) reflect the real time it takes the actual trains to recharge the brake line (he confirmed the behaviour by getting a number of the real drivers to try the loco's in the sim), IMPORTANT Note, this means you...... :), these trains are 208 hopper wagons long with 1 pair of Dash 9's at the head and another pair in the middle. In real life all the locos compressors contiribute to the recharging of the line, OR only allows the lead loco's to do this. This means the brake values on the rolling stock have been set up just for this route.

Lindsay

#15 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostCGW121, on 21 September 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

As I said in my above post Shift + / will release the brakes instantaneously..

This does not work as you state it does. (The numbers still roll up and down in the HUD) It still takes about 10 or so seconds to release the brakes!
There is no instantaneously about it and is why I asked my original question in post #3, "Will they release faster if I set it to 100 or so?"
It's a yes or no question. ;)
:)

:oldstry:

#16 User is offline   CGW121 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

View Postthegrindre, on 21 September 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

This does not work as you state it does. It still takes about 10 or so seconds to release the brakes! There is no instantaneously about it and is why I asked my original question in post #3, "Will they release faster if I set it to 100 or so?"
:)

;)

Yes it works. But you have to FULLY release the brakes, which involves holding down the ; key then you need to do it again. Then one can use the shift / combo. If you do not fully release the brakes then you should not be surprised that it takes them forever to release. All this has been covered in the docs.

#17 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:25 AM

Another question: Will OR at one Point let all locos in the consist contribute air to the trainline?

Cheers, Markus

#18 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostWalter Conklin, on 21 September 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

Hello,

Doesn't pressing the / - key releases the brakes quicker?

This works only if the train is at standstill.

#19 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

I determine how much power units I got in a train (the more units the faster release) and BP charging rate in options and current have it at 145 along new orts parameters in eng file.

Currently under name line and above unit description in the eng file and it's from a GEVO:

AirBrakeMainresvolume ( 10.2 )
MainResChargingRate ( 3.1 )
BrakePipeChargingRate ( 30 )
EngineBrakeReleaseRate ( 38 )
EngineBrakeApplicationRate ( 34 )
BrakePipeTimeFactor ( 0.000323 )
BrakeServiceTimeFactor ( 1.46 )
BrakeEmergencyTimeFactor ( .15 )

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic