Elvas Tower: OR Steam Exhaust - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OR Steam Exhaust New Changes Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   Avo 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

Obviously it's quite difficult to program the smoke-steam mixture for a steam locomotives.
I thank you all those who work on this task!
Unfortunately, I have not a prerequisite to help actively. Nevertheless, allow me a few remarks on the state of things (experimental release in 1779).
1.The smoke and steam representation seems to be generally linear. It lacks irregularities and significant turbulences.
2 For a stationary steam engine, the smoke from the chimney rising quietly on. The current state of development feels more like a diesel locomotive exhaust.
3 Only when the ride starts, exhaust flows through the chimney and there is the typical rhythmic smoke-vapor emissions activity in the stroke of the cylinders. The more the slider is open, the more powerful the smoke and steam output.
4 The color of the smoke changes from light to dark, especially when coal is thrown in. The color is independent of the acceleration.

#62 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Here is my take on the whole thing as I work on Milwaukee Road 261 steam locomotive and around it quite often when its fired up. It sure would be nice to have smoke that puffs out instead of just flowing out like in MSTS. Also I have noticed that once going at speed the smoke ends up going in front of the stack instead of level or behind it. Another thing that would be great is having it move with the wind instead of just having it go straight back like in MSTS. Another thing that would be great is accurate Cylinder cock smoke and have it jet out instead of just coming out like the smoke in MSTS. Also with the cylinder cocks have them work in contrast to the wheels turning and the pistons going back and forth. Another thing would be nice is to actually make the blower work when the locomotive is stopped. A couple more ideas for smoke is to have smoke for dynos and for steam ejectors, air pumps and other appliances on the locomotive. Also have the smoke react depending on how the locomotive is fired. Just a few ideas I had and thought it might help.

Brandon

#63 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

That's a wish-list I can relate to, too, Brandon. The smoke and steam emissions have come on a long way since they were first added to OR last year-ish. Our grateful thanks to all those contributing, either coding, or discussion-wise.

Cheers it's time for -> :rotfl: and there's one in the fridge with my name on it.

Cheers Bazza

#64 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

Not sure if this would help but here is some video I shot of the 261s test run in the snow back in April! Look at the way the steam and smoke look in the video and it might help you guys out with trying to create accurate smoke effects.

261 Best of 2008. This video shows the 261 at work in different environments and different loads. Also notice how the smoke some times drifts with the wind depending on weather.

Hope this helps you guys out a little bit. Best of luck and great job so far with Open Rails

Brandon

#65 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Here is one more video I took of the 261 during its first movements under steam after it was rebuilt. This video shows how the Cylinder cocks work along with showing different applyances that also create smoke/steam.

Brandon

#66 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

I have to agree with you Walter that the smoke textures still dont look right and need alot of fixing up! Wish they could figure out how to get the puff to come out the same time as the chuff happens when starting out! I think that would make it a lot more realistic but it also depends on the load and how much you have the throttle open! Here are a few shots of the MILW 261 that I took with what I am talking about and this should give a good idea on how the smoke looks.

Brandon

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: DSCN2599.JPG
  • Attached Image: DSCN2709.JPG

#67 User is offline   ATSF3751 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

I do realize that Steam effects in Open Rails is not done yet but it seems as the smoke on steam locomotives is still too much like diesel smoke. Also with the cylinder cocks I do like how they just flow out when not in motion but feel like the steam needs to blow out when starting up. As I know a lot about steam locomotives and how they work and feel like there isn't much being done with the smoke at the moment. I do know you guys are trying to work on many things at the same time and you are all doing a wonderful job. As you can see from my earlier videos and photographs I have put up earlier I think those might be a big help on how smoke should act in Open Rails.

Brandon

PS- Great job on fixing up the sounds in Open Rails for steam locomotives!

#68 User is offline   openheaders 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

I too am really into steamers... steam tractors, locomotives etc. I was wondering are you going to have a "puff" affect instead of smoke exiting without any blasts from the stack?

#69 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

IIRC what you asked for, openheaders, has already been tried to be implemented once but did not work out correctly and was either (temporarily) removed again, or stayed in an unfinished way... I think James (James Ross) was the one who worked on it, so maybe he can provide some more detail.

Cheers, Markus

#70 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:24 PM

Actually, it was rdamurphy who tried out pulsing smoke (starting in X1973, updated in X1991, X1994) and the code is still there. I don't know if it's meant to still be working or the exact details on how it works.

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users