Elvas Tower: Auto tune performance - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Auto tune performance What does it do (other than the obvious) Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   RacerBG 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

For some strange reason I have cars literally flying (because the roads and the bridges are invisible), also I noticed that from time to time when Im watching the train from one side it's wagons are disappearing for a moment, also the view in the wagon with Acela HHP-8 makes half the wagon to disappear when you look back.

I don't know what causes this bugs (again Im using original content) and usually the experimental features are turned off. I have had this problem in the earlier versions too, even in the stable one.

#12 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 17 August 2013 - 03:07 AM, said:

It´s more or less obvious what this does in-game, but not, what it does to the Settings: Will the Settings I manually entered after hours of Trial and error be changed by this function?

It should not ever change your saved settings - so your viewing distance will always start at the value you've set, for example - but it will dynamically adjust in-game.

Also, what will it do in scenery-intense Areas, where FPS usually go down to the low 20´s, high 10´s or even lower (my current Settings)? Will it cut down viewing distance to a few hundred meters?

The minimum viewing distance currently used in 250m, although in practice this looks rather bad.

What about Detail Level / object density, shadows, ...?

All performance-related settings are candidates for changing, but to kick things off I have only made it adjust the viewing distance.

If all These "cost-cutting" really is done, could there be a Minimum value for all These Settings the auto-Controller can´t set ist values below (otherwise on slow Systems, one might possibly end up with scenery appearing 100 m in front of the loco? ) ?

It does have a hard-minimum of 250m for viewing distance right now, but that looks pretty bad. I don't really want to let users set minimums, as they'll inevitably set them too high. :)

I want to make the minimums match those you can set it options; I have just noticed the minimum viewing distance is 500m, so I will make the auto-adjustment match that I think.

PS: I think it´s a great new Feature, will eliminate the Need for hours of seemingly endless Trial-and-Error Research trying out Settings and fine Tuning this and that. Just, it´s a bit scarcely documented.

It's an experiment. :)

At the moment, the world object density is the main other setting that should be considered, however, I wanted to get something out for people to try first and intermixing two dynamic settings is not trivial. Thanks everyone for all the ideas so far though!

#13 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

What about cutting viewing distance to some not too low Minimum (500 - 750 m, maybe set using a registry entry) and when it would Need to be lowered below that, decrease scenery density? That way eye candy would be kept up as Long as somehow possible, but would not Change to DM (dead mtness :) ) right in front of you.

Cheers, and thanks for the answers, Markus

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users