#11 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

Hi RacerBG,

RacerBG, on 13 August 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

I have integrated graphics card because I'm on a laptop.

So do I.

My solution to this problem is a little unusual. A desktop PC with good graphics is much cheaper than a laptop with good graphics, so now I have a fast PC and can run it across the WiFi from my laptop using the free SplashTop software.

Surprisingly it works perfectly.

#12 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Maybe check out your process list (taskmanager) and see if there are any hidden processes running that are NOT PROPERTY OF "SYSTEM". You mostly can just click "Stop process" (or similar) to free some RAM (and the CPU load) the process occupied. If it´s more than a few processes, maybe it might help a bit.

If you don´t want to do all that manually, you can go and search for a program to do this process-list cleaning for you.

Or (well, it´s a bit of self-advertisement) use TK2, available here: http://mgelbmann.jim...on/taskkiller2/ (yeah, it´s my Homepage, and the program is by me). You can set up an external ASCII file where the names of the processes / Tasks to be "killed" are specifies, that are then read into the program and killed. Works only on Windows (XP onwards) though...

I explicitly wrote this program for that purpose, cleaning out RAM and CPU load, and it works for me.

Cheers, Markus

#13 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

Falcus, on 16 August 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

Hello PA1930

What you saw in your task manager was a real time reading of how much ram you're using. This reading changes all the time based on what programs you're using and what you're having them do. Next time you have ORTS up, when its stable, Window out of it and bring up your Task Manager and see how much Ram you're using (I would wager most of it).

Installing more Ram is probably the easiest thing you could do that would be likely to improve your experience (After the Graphical setting changes). Just go to youtube and search for your Computer Model Number (Dell D620 for instance, model Number, not Serial Number) plus the words "Ram Replacement". You will pretty much garunteed find a video to show you how to do it step by step (Don't start doing it until you feel you can remember it, or pring out pictures/instructions).

Finally on that score, RAM is pretty cheap and easy to get. Before you buy it, go into your device Manager and find out how many sticks of Ram you currently have, and how big they are. 3GB could easily be 1 3GB Stick, or 2 1.5GB sticks, or *maybe* even 3 1GB Sticks (I doubt this last options, Laptops usually only have at most 2 Ram Slots). This will tell you *marginally* how many slots you have to work with and what you would need to buy to garuntee an upgrade. If you have say, 1 stick of 3GB, go see if you can buy a single stick of 6GB or something similar. Do some shopping and find a price that makes sense. Don't be afraid to buy it online (This is where Ram gets REAL cheap), but make sure you're buying from a reputable source. After you buy it and install it, enjoy. You might be able to do this for as little as $20 USD and a few hours of your time.

After that, we all need new computers, lol. I feel your pain, being on a 6 year old Laptop, and I'm lucky if I get 5FPS most of the time in ORTS, lol. The way I look at it is I'm saving my entire MSTS file library (And running it) from a 1TB External Drive, and when I do eventually get a new computer, just Plug and Play (Though probably with a few Registry Changes, lol).

Good Luck!
Falcus

Thanks for the tips, Falcus! I will have to consider that but very honestly I don't really feel like to spend more money with this laptop.

#14 User is offline   RacerBG 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:16 AM

Well guys I know that if I decrease this things it will be fast -from 10 to5 and my Acela is literally flying around! :) I know that and I know also that on one ordinary laptop like mine gaming is FORBIDDEN but I will be happy to have a few games in it you know.

Anyway here are my specs: 3 GB RAM, Intel Pentium 2.2 GHz dual core processor, Intel GMA 4500M video card (NOT for gaming for sure) and the rest are just brand specific specs. If anyone is interested what I have - Acer Aspire 5738Z. Picture about OR is not provided, sorry about that and sorry for the delayed reply because I have mobile internet connection. I can live with limited graphics but I would love to have one less GPU demanding game and more CPU or RAM for example. It's good to mention that MSTS with just disabled shadows is lighting fast on maximal settings (I never enable shadows in my games).

Thanks for the good discussion but what about the other questions?

PS: By the way awesome rail community you have there. :D

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users