• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A few questions Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   RacerBG 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

I recently installed OR unstable (also I have OR stable) but I have a few questions for it mainly regarding game features and one for a bug:

1. From where I can change the realism options (derailments, automatic fireman, etc...)?
2. Why my FPS is 12-18 (I can run fine MSTS, my settings are 2 000 m view distance, density 10, I use the default routes and trains and even this is not enough)?
3. When I will be able to control the train with my mouse like in MSTS?
4. If you would make 3D cabs can you keep the 2D ones too?
5. And the bug: When I started Tokyo-Hakone route with Acela I saw that my signal speed was something like 2225 on the monitor!? I was using OR 1705, maybe this is just a signals problem.

By the way Im new here so: hi guys! :)

#2 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

View PostRacerBG, on 13 August 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

2. Why my FPS is 12-18 (I can run fine MSTS, my settings are 2 000 m view distance, density 10, I use the default routes and trains and even this is not enough)?

I suspect the you don't have a very good graphics card.
What is the MSTS FPS when OR gets 12-18?

What are your hardware specs?

cheers

#3 User is offline   RacerBG 

• Apprentice
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

View Postengmod, on 13 August 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

I suspect the you don't have a very good graphics card.
What is the MSTS FPS when OR gets 12-18?

What are your hardware specs?

cheers

I have integrated graphics card because Im on a laptop.

#4 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

That laptop will never be good for OR.

#5 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostRacerBG, on 13 August 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

I have integrated graphics card because Im on a laptop.

As engmod says, you probably won't be able to get a particularly good experience with OR on a laptop with integrated graphics. If you could start OR, press Shift-F5 until you see "DEBUG INFORMATION" and then take a screenshot, that would be useful for us to see.

It is worth noting that 2000m viewing distance and density 10 are the worst performing values - you should lower one or both of these to get better performance in OR. In the next experimental build (should be available in a day or two), there is a new experimental option to automatically tune the viewing distance which might be worth trying. I would still recommend lowering the density first.

#6 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 15 August 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

In the next experimental build (should be available in a day or two), there is a new experimental option to automatically tune the viewing distance which might be worth trying. I would still recommend lowering the density first.

I have tried this feature (as I get the most recent versions through SVN) and I didn't really know what was it for... I got a bit scared as I saw all the distant scenary going away and everything getting all blank and then I figured out what did that option did for real...

[I don't really know much about PC's so I might say something that is impossible after this warning]
Its just a pitty that there can't be any "option" for ORTS to use more CPU combined with GPU like MSTS does (as at least MSTS runs smoother than ORTS because of the crappy graphics card)...

#7 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostPA1930, on 15 August 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

[I don't really know much about PC's so I might say something that is impossible after this warning]
Its just a pitty that there can't be any "option" for ORTS to use more CPU combined with GPU like MSTS does (as at least MSTS runs smoother than ORTS because of the crappy graphics card)...

It's funny you should say that, because OR is actually CPU-limited in many cases, but I get your point. It is, understandably I hope, pretty darn hard to have an option that changes the entire architecture of a program's running. You can of course turn down details and we're always looking at ways to make OR faster, though occasionally we do favour graphical accuracy (there's at least one bit where we take a performance hit - variable by content - to ensure the alpha blending works).

#8 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:55 AM

I thought I might throw out a couple of ideas for you:

First, go into Power Options in Control Panel and change it to "Performance" instead of "Power Saving." You'll get less battery life.

Second, see if the BIOS allows you to dedicate more of your RAM to the GPU.

Third, see if you can install more RAM into your laptop. This will actually help everything.

Robert

#9 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 15 August 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

It's funny you should say that, because OR is actually CPU-limited in many cases, but I get your point. It is, understandably I hope, pretty darn hard to have an option that changes the entire architecture of a program's running. You can of course turn down details and we're always looking at ways to make OR faster, though occasionally we do favour graphical accuracy (there's at least one bit where we take a performance hit - variable by content - to ensure the alpha blending works).

I know I neeed a new PC, but until I don't have one I have to "suffer" with the quality of this one or just play MSTS... (Honestly, I haven't touched MSTS for a good while because of ORTS). ;)

View Postrdamurphy, on 16 August 2013 - 12:55 AM, said:

I thought I might throw out a couple of ideas for you:

First, go into Power Options in Control Panel and change it to "Performance" instead of "Power Saving." You'll get less battery life.

Second, see if the BIOS allows you to dedicate more of your RAM to the GPU.

Third, see if you can install more RAM into your laptop. This will actually help everything.

Robert

Thanks for the tips, Robert.
I always use my laptop on "High Performance" option when I have the laptop connected to the plug.
Checking the BIOS to dedicate more RAM to the GPU... I do not know how I make that but if I am able to do that, does that affect anything on my PC? I don't realy understand about this stuff so I apologize with my bothering dumb questions... :/
My PC has 3GB of RAM and I believe currently its using half of it (I went to the "Task Manager" and saw it was using 1,46GB of RAM while I just have firefox open and a folder open).
As for installing more RAM, I honestly don't know... The better solution is to buy a newer PC and not try to "improve" this one, but until I can do that, I will have to wait and "suffer" or play with MSTS like I said to James.

#10 User is offline   Falcus 

• Conductor

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hello PA1930

What you saw in your task manager was a real time reading of how much ram you're using. This reading changes all the time based on what programs you're using and what you're having them do. Next time you have ORTS up, when its stable, Window out of it and bring up your Task Manager and see how much Ram you're using (I would wager most of it).

Installing more Ram is probably the easiest thing you could do that would be likely to improve your experience (After the Graphical setting changes). Just go to youtube and search for your Computer Model Number (Dell D620 for instance, model Number, not Serial Number) plus the words "Ram Replacement". You will pretty much garunteed find a video to show you how to do it step by step (Don't start doing it until you feel you can remember it, or pring out pictures/instructions).

Finally on that score, RAM is pretty cheap and easy to get. Before you buy it, go into your device Manager and find out how many sticks of Ram you currently have, and how big they are. 3GB could easily be 1 3GB Stick, or 2 1.5GB sticks, or *maybe* even 3 1GB Sticks (I doubt this last options, Laptops usually only have at most 2 Ram Slots). This will tell you *marginally* how many slots you have to work with and what you would need to buy to garuntee an upgrade. If you have say, 1 stick of 3GB, go see if you can buy a single stick of 6GB or something similar. Do some shopping and find a price that makes sense. Don't be afraid to buy it online (This is where Ram gets REAL cheap), but make sure you're buying from a reputable source. After you buy it and install it, enjoy. You might be able to do this for as little as $20 USD and a few hours of your time.

After that, we all need new computers, lol. I feel your pain, being on a 6 year old Laptop, and I'm lucky if I get 5FPS most of the time in ORTS, lol. The way I look at it is I'm saving my entire MSTS file library (And running it) from a 1TB External Drive, and when I do eventually get a new computer, just Plug and Play (Though probably with a few Registry Changes, lol).

Good Luck!
Falcus

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users