• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

What about ... ?
  • Time travelled (Not-halted)
  • Time (total)
  • Distance travelled
  • Average Speed (allowable by the Speed Limits, maybe including some "margin")
  • Average Speed (driven)
  • Percent of how one kept to Speed Limits in average (100% => average driven Speed = average allowable Speed)
  • Schedule adherance (arrivals / deptartures early / late; maybe also some percent value to give an overview), on passenger Trains, and if schedules are implemented for freight Trains too, also for them, leaving some "margin".
  • Work orders done?
  • Coupling speeds
  • Followed Signal indications?
  • Acceleration / braking / sideway Forces (allowable and actual)
  • maybe: Accuracy in stopping at platforms (stop at 0.0, according to MSTS distance to next Station value)
Drop the emergency brake thingy MSTS has in ist eval, as an emergency application will most probably Show in a number of the other things.

Cheers, Markus

#12 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

I also used the term "Works Orders" in a previous post in this thread. Are they in fact implemented in OR in the same way as they are in MSTS?

--------------
David

#13 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

In my opinion an overall note should be given to the player, by weighing the various parameters that have been mentioned, and if one likes he can get the detail of the evaluation.

#14 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

View Postdforrest, on 16 August 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

I also used the term "Works Orders" in a previous post in this thread. Are they in fact implemented in OR in the same way as they are in MSTS?

Yes, they are. "Works Orders" are usually for freight traffic.

#15 User is offline   RacerBG 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/OR

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostJorD1, on 12 August 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

Here a problem arises, that is not done in other countries. Here in the Netherlands it's only allowed to whistle to avoid danger, at a special sign with an F on it, and the test of the horn once a day (which is not allowed in urban area's).
In other countries it's also not usual to whistle at crossings.

Jordi

Yes, for every country the conditions are different. For example here in Bulgaria whlistling is allowed when the train is approaching a station no matter which. About crossings - they are using automatic system and they have separate signal which is activated when the train is coming. It's very annoying by the way. :clapping: But there are no penalities if the train driver whistles just for fun. :offtopic: If there is a danger of course whistle is allowed.

About the activity evaluation I think that the MSTS one is good enough for now. I was thinking about over speed penality BUT if you need to compensate for slow driving at some point I think that over speed will be useful so don't take care about my suggestion.

#16 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

I think it should be far more explanatory.

"You exceeded freight durability three times..."

What the heck does that mean, and how did I do it?

Robert

#17 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

In German it was / is even worse: "Sie haben die Haltbarkeit der Fracht X Mal überschritten:", where "Haltbarkeit" usually refers to something like the best-before-date printed on Food packaging. *Huh, have I still been too slow, although I arrived half an hour before scedule?* :clapping:

I guess, for overspeed there may be nothing more to explain, same for timetables, but for most other things mentioned, some more "Explanatory" Evaluation would definitely be appreciated.

Cheers, Markus

#18 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

Something to consider: Different persons will have unique opinions as to which of the many possible criteria are a challenge they can meet. And Activity Designers will have their own opinion as to which criteria are actually relevant to each activity. Given that, it might be worthwhile to give the Designer a check list of which criteria he wants the sim to monitor, set activity by activity, and another checklist for the end user to select which of those selected by the Designer he feels he has the skill to try to achieve. I don't know if it would help sim performance to actually monitor only those selected criteria or not but it shouldn't be too hard to report on only what's been chosen instead of all of them.

Short of that we'll be seeing all of the criteria applied all of the time and frankly, I suspect that's not what people want.

#19 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 19 August 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

Something to consider: Different persons will have unique opinions as to which of the many possible criteria are a challenge they can meet. And Activity Designers will have their own opinion as to which criteria are actually relevant to each activity. Given that, it might be worthwhile to give the Designer a check list of which criteria he wants the sim to monitor, set activity by activity, and another checklist for the end user to select which of those selected by the Designer he feels he has the skill to try to achieve. I don't know if it would help sim performance to actually monitor only those selected criteria or not but it shouldn't be too hard to report on only what's been chosen instead of all of them.

Completely agreed on this. :)

#20 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 19 August 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

Short of that we'll be seeing all of the criteria applied all of the time and frankly, I suspect that's not what people want.

Perceptive and very practical, my vote also. Also gives the end user some benchmarks to aim for. rhs

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users