• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Activity fail - Surfliner 2 - HT_Amtrak_14 Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   farrmp 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails/MSTS

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

Just a tip about the 'White Screen of Death'. If you tick the Windowed Mode check box on the Main Menu Page
you will get a VISIBLE Error Message on the screen at the same point in the Activity where it used to Freeze with the White Screen.

Apparently, in Full Screen Mode the Error Message in underneath the White Screen and cannot be seen or clicked on and
does lock-up my computer. So far, all instances of the 'WSoD' on my system were traced to problems with the Activity
(Even though it probably ran OK in MSTS. )

Hope this helps,

Paul

#12 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

View Postfarrmp, on 20 August 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

Just a tip about the 'White Screen of Death'. If you tick the Windowed Mode check box on the Main Menu Page
you will get a VISIBLE Error Message on the screen at the same point in the Activity where it used to Freeze with the White Screen.

Apparently, in Full Screen Mode the Error Message in underneath the White Screen and cannot be seen or clicked on and
does lock-up my computer. So far, all instances of the 'WSoD' on my system were traced to problems with the Activity
(Even though it probably ran OK in MSTS. )

Hope this helps,

Paul

Thanks Paul, very interesting. I have only encountered the white scream of death at the bridge crossing on the Edvard & Munch Railroad (good old E&M) ...groan :rotfl::) joke. I don't use the windowed mode often, will try the surfliner activity again in this mode. I suspected it might have something to do with the activity. Have you any conjectures about what in the activity causes this phenom to appear? If ithe underlying cause could be determined then perhaps any activity could be corrected.....assuming a single error. Although if the activity runs OK in MSTS then why the WSoD in OR?...is there any error to correct? Cordially, rhs

#13 User is offline   farrmp 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails/MSTS

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

I have not spent a lot of time running down the actual causes. I create most of my activities with Activity Generator by Steve Davis (Skyline Computing).
Often, just generating a new activity using all the same parameters will clear the WSoD for that Activity. When the 'easy way out' doesn't work I tick the
Windowed mode, then when the error occurs I STUDY the Error Message for clues. I can't say I often understand what I read, but in the ones that
make sense to me the Error has involved Broken or Conflicting Paths between the Player train and AI trains. Activity Generator uses something called
TEMPLATES to build new activities and in one case (Streamlines-Scenic Sub 2), I had to modify the Template by Deleting that one AI train using the
MSTS Activity Editor. Fortunately, I almost never see the WSoD these days and cannot say enough about the GREAT JOB the OpenRails Development
Team is doing!
Hope this helps,

Paul

#14 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:41 PM

View Postfarrmp, on 22 August 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

I have not spent a lot of time running down the actual causes. I create most of my activities with Activity Generator by Steve Davis (Skyline Computing).
Often, just generating a new activity using all the same parameters will clear the WSoD for that Activity. When the 'easy way out' doesn't work I tick the
Windowed mode, then when the error occurs I STUDY the Error Message for clues. I can't say I often understand what I read, but in the ones that
make sense to me the Error has involved Broken or Conflicting Paths between the Player train and AI trains. Activity Generator uses something called
TEMPLATES to build new activities and in one case (Streamlines-Scenic Sub 2), I had to modify the Template by Deleting that one AI train using the
MSTS Activity Editor. Fortunately, I almost never see the WSoD these days and cannot say enough about the GREAT JOB the OpenRails Development
Team is doing!
Hope this helps,

Paul

Switching is my favorite, so I use the Steve's Activity Generator, or download the templates for most routes I have. The Activity master is a great "quick&dirty" (sorry Mr. Davis...I do Love the program) to correct any loose consists if you don't want to manually change out in the activity file. It does provide some interesting subs sometime. I haven't mastered the way to create your set of substitutes for the Act Master to use so I usually let it choose at random from the stock on hand.

I just fixed an activity that was made for a previous tdb number. had conflicting AI and player paths. I had the WSoD previously on this route/act, running now it does not appear...your hunch appears to be on the right path.....not a broken path either!
"cannot say enough about the GREAT JOB the OpenRails Development Team is doing!" I agree,:sweatingbullets: rhs

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users