• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

alerter questions Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gary54 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

I have started to use the alerter while running. However, a few issues have cropped up.

1.) Even though the engine is not moving with the reverser in the neutral position, full independent brakes applied, and the all important MonitoringDeviceResetOnZeroSpeed set at 1 (refer to the cut and paste of the pertinent section of the engine file below), I continue to receive alerter warnings.

2.) The alerter warnings are occurring at 30 second intervals, completely at odds with the MonitoringDeviceMonitorTimeLimit of 180 seconds.

VigilanceMonitor(
MonitoringDeviceMonitorTimeLimit( 180 )
MonitoringDeviceAlarmTimeLimit( 45 )
MonitoringDevicePenaltyTimeLimit( 0 )
MonitoringDeviceCriticalLevel( 0 )
MonitoringDeviceResetLevel( 0 )
MonitoringDeviceAppliesFullBrake( 1 )
MonitoringDeviceAppliesEmergencyBrake( 1 )
MonitoringDeviceAppliesCutsPower( 0 )
MonitoringDeviceResetOnZeroSpeed( 1 )
MonitoringDeviceAppliesShutsDownEngine( 0 )
)

Although I am using Raildriver, the alert button on the RD unit does not respond to the alerter. I have to press Z on the keyboard to acknowledge the alerter.

I can live with the RD issue; however, it would be good to increase the amount of time between alerter warnings and keep the alerter from sounding when the train is stopped.

By the way - I am using experimental version 1704.

Thanks for any thoughts on this. The alterter seems to be a recurring issue since the early days of MSTS.

Gary

#2 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

I always used to run "alertered" and this is no new Problem. I also once submitted a bug Report, in Addition to discussing These issues here, but was told, this was left for V1.0 (or later?).

I´m OK with that, as from MSTS I got aquainted to the d*** Thing locking up all the time to some Default values... Also, IMHO, out the physics first.

Cheers, Markus

#3 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

Till OR Fixes these why not just while stop look in the cab to the right or left views for it to be off or stay outside then press Z before getting back into cab or just hide cab.

#4 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Doesn´t work - would be unlogical if so. The alerter, as is MSTS is not tied to if you view the cab or not, solely to the specified time elapsing.

Cheers, Markus

#5 User is offline   Gary54 

• Fireman

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

I agree - the physics is more important at this time. The alerter can be taken care of in a later version.

Gary

View Postmarkus_GE, on 07 August 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Doesn´t work - would be unlogical if so. The alerter, as is MSTS is not tied to if you view the cab or not, solely to the specified time elapsing.

Cheers, Markus

#6 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Works for me I guess because of my VigilanceMonitor settings being lower sounding every 60 seconds and 20 second time limit to respond. Makes sense how it is now because the longer im out the cab in view 2, 3, 4 cab right or left etc without pressing anything rolling or stopped then when I get into the cab displays, train goes into emergency sounding alerter, but if I press a brake, reseter or power setting before I get back in, it resets. Just like MSTS does but not in ORTS, the f5 hud tells you when the alerter is going off.

But lets see what ORTS development has to say even though I agree it needs to be fixed and have that reset on zero speed.

#7 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

The interesting thing is while alerter in OR is bound to time (30/49 seconds), the european train control systems' alerter is bound to distance travelled.

(I might take a look on the problem of alerter.)

#8 User is offline   Gary54 

• Fireman

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:01 AM

My experience with alerters used by US railroads is that they are linked to time.

I used the alerter last evening for a short time. In addition to not being able to control the frequency of warnings, the use of various controls (throttle, braking, horn) failed to acknowledge the alerter.

Gary

#9 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:06 AM

AFAIK, also the American alerter System is somehow bound to distance travelled: I once read, that at higher Speed, the predefined time interval will be multiplied by some number between 0 and 1, thus actually shortening the interval to number * 100 percent of the defined interval.

Also I remember having read somewhere the intervals were randomized a bit, so one was a bit shorter, the next one bit longer than the actual base value. Yet, I don´t recall if this was for modern, or older Systems...

Sorry for being so un-specific, I´m just writing what I recall of a Research into the Topic I did a year or so ago.

So, Paul, is the time interval "hardcoded" into the program? (I mena OR, not any real Train on-board Computer programs)

Cheers, Markus

#10 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:07 AM

Currently time dependence is hardcoded into OR, but I'm thinking of creating a new TrainControlSystem class, where any of them could be implemented. (Standard MSTS, ETCS, PZB, Sifa, EVM, etc...)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users