Invisible train radio...? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

View Postedwardk, on 30 July 2013 - 02:46 AM, said:

As I mentioned in my other post, it is used to spice up activities.

Yes, I definitely need to play more :-)

I was wondering if OR could have a thought-through implementation instead of this trick with invisible wagons, especially as we are working on operations and activities after v1.0.

How would it be if an activity event could play a sound file as an alternative to the current pop-up window? Is that sufficient or is there more to these Inviso wagons?

#12 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

That effectively would make OR the very favourite Simulator I´d use. In Trainz (How Long has it just been sitting on my HDD now?) I remember you can / could do that. That´s also, why I liked Trainz better than MSTS for activity creation for some time.

I know, I know, you´re not into Details as of yet, but have you been thinking of linking to external wav / mp3 / mpdunnowhat files or using a speech Generator? Or both? :jawdrop2:

This would be a great Addition to the most realistic TS out there! ;)

Cheers, Markus

#13 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:52 PM

Adding sound to activity events would be a nice improvement. Another one would be adding sound to passenger train stops (station announcements). Both are now done by invisible cars (second one also by a world sound source, but the latter can't be changed from activity to activity).

#14 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

I have only heard station announcements placed on Route Editor... So it keeps playing but its not ever accurate to the real thing, per say. If that would be possible to play sounds like that through events, that would be great. Though I do wonder about "compatibility" with MSTS's Activity Editor. How would it work then?

#15 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

View PostPA1930, on 01 August 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

Though I do wonder about "compatibility" with MSTS's Activity Editor. How would it work then?

v2.0 of Open Rails is intended to deliver a new Activity Editor. As I see it, the editor will be able to import ACT files and convert them to the OR format but this will be a one-way process.

Does that make sense?

#16 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

As OR´s ACT files will probably include more possibilities, wouldn´t it be hard to Export them to MSTS-ACT?

Yet, importing MSTS ones to OR would be practical Feature, especially for those like me who have already worked out MSTS-styla ACTs for use in OR only...

Cheers, Markus

#17 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 01 August 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

v2.0 of Open Rails is intended to deliver a new Activity Editor. As I see it, the editor will be able to import ACT files and convert them to the OR format but this will be a one-way process.

Does that make sense?

It does make sense and I have thought about it - though I didn't know at what point was the OR dedicated AE editor being in terms of development. Are there any news about it? I'm one who's eager to have a better AE than the actual, especially with those new interesting features.

#18 User is offline   edwardk 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 31 July 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

Yes, I definitely need to play more :-)

I was wondering if OR could have a thought-through implementation instead of this trick with invisible wagons, especially as we are working on operations and activities after v1.0.

How would it be if an activity event could play a sound file as an alternative to the current pop-up window? Is that sufficient or is there more to these Inviso wagons?

What I find amazing is that through out the entire history of MSTS, there was only one person who learned to change the code via hex and created the BIN project.

At this point I do not believe there is anything more to the Inviso wagon. OR will just have to change this.

Edward K.

#19 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

:sign_thanks: , Edward., this is definitely an interesting fact, but probably also due to competition: Why try doing something, somebody else already has been succdessful with and will continue to be so?

Cheers, Markus

#20 User is offline   stuz 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR,

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 02 August 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

:lol2: , Edward., this is definitely an interesting fact, but probably also due to competition: Why try doing something, somebody else already has been succdessful with and will continue to be so?

Cheers, Markus

Hi,
I have been trying out this new update in the activities on the MLT Rogers Pass written by Ed Cook. Activities CP 115, CP 268, CP 471, CP 701 and CP 631. He used audio extensively to pass instructions of upcoming meets and driver actions as required. None of these activities play the audio in an intelligible way. It is sometimes triggered but only can be heard faintly for a brief time then it disappears. At other times only scratchy noise is heard. This update to get the invisio car sound to play does not work in these activities.
Regards Stu

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users