• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Load Meter Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

A big thank you to Carlo for fixing this annoying little bug. All three types that had the problem are now fixed. This includes meters with a vertical movement. If anyone has a problem with how far the pointer moves, this can be tuned in the cvf file.

#2 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

Do you mean the bug with the ammeter / ampere-meter / amperage-indicator? I´m not familiar with the term "loadmeter", adn couldn´t find it in the online dictionary I´m using...

Cheers, Markus

#3 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Yes, Marcus.

loadmeter/ammeter

cheers

#4 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:22 AM

Yeah! I can´t wait for the next experimental, as now finally one can drive a Train again to real operating practices :sign_rockon:

Keep up the great work!

Cheers, Markus

#5 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:22 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 24 July 2013 - 02:22 AM, said:

Yeah! I can´t wait for the next experimental, as now finally one can drive a Train again to real operating practices :sign_rockon:

Keep up the great work!

Cheers, Markus

Not quite yet. The dynamic brakes still have to be corrected, and far as I can tell so far, at least with diesels, they are putting too much power out in the low throttle settings. This started with the introduction of the gearbox feature which also does not work properly in manual. Semi-auto and full automatic box seems to be OK apart from the fearsome acceleration.

#6 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:01 AM

But at least, one will get to see one part of the ammeter doing what it should. Have been playing without even that for quite some time now

Cheers, Markus

#7 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

View Postcopperpen, on 23 July 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

A big thank you to Carlo for fixing this annoying little bug. All three types that had the problem are now fixed. This includes meters with a vertical movement. If anyone has a problem with how far the pointer moves, this can be tuned in the cvf file.

You're welcome! I want to add that this wouldn't have happened so fast without the punctual warning info I got from Chris!

#8 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

For the sake of completeness................

A Load meter in a diesel eletric loco is an ammeter that measures the current through a single traction motor. Its usually centre zero to some extent so it can show the current both as a motor or when the motor is acting as a generator.

There is a direct although not linear realationship between the Traction Motor current and the locc's tractive effort.

Both EMD and GE locos have some kind of current limiting so the motor cannot usually be seriously overloaded, although the traction motors can usually be pushed beyond there short term ratings (note 1).

Note 1: GE dash 7 and latter loco's have a traction motor temperature limit. if the traction motor temps gets to high the control system automaticly thottles back the main diesel engine. I have no details on latter EMD machines, I assume they would be the same.

I have not run OR for some time so I have not tried out the newer Loadmeter behaviour, In the past I found it slightly annoying that the current did not have the correct relationship to the TE.

Lindsay

#9 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for that info, Lindsay. Now as English as not my mother tongue, I´m sometimes not quite familiar with Terms (and most dictionaries donßt give you the railroad-related translations), so I´m dependent on comments like this...

Cheers, Markus :sign_sorry:

#10 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 24 July 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

There is a direct although not linear realationship between the Traction Motor current and the locc's tractive effort.

Yes, the theory of electric machines speaks about quadratic relationship between the current and the force/torque but in a very ideal case. If you see the electro-mechanic characteristics of series-wounded DC machine, you'll find the characteristics is nearly linear due to magnetic saturation of the iron core and the self resistance. I've noticed that General Electric locomotives have no field weakening so the force is always given by the same current. European locomotives use this to spread the range of speed so the same force can be produced by at least two different currents. When speaking about AC machines, the current-force dependency is nearly the same because the control technique leads to the force being linear to the current and field.

View PostLindsayts, on 24 July 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Both EMD and GE locos have some kind of current limiting so the motor cannot usually be seriously overloaded, although the traction motors can usually be pushed beyond there short term ratings (note 1).

Note 1: GE dash 7 and latter loco's have a traction motor temperature limit. if the traction motor temps gets to high the control system automaticly thottles back the main diesel engine. I have no details on latter EMD machines, I assume they would be the same.

This is interesting. Is this implemented in the DC/DC and AC/DC locos too or just AC/AC? Normally the nominal force/current is somewhere on the half way to the maximal force and the traction motor can be current-overloaded (the diesel engine cannot be power-overloaded).

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users