• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Living up to my name B&O SD9's Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Oh yeah! Now I can recreate those old Willamette Valley rattlers I so fondly remember! Thanks, Allen. :handsdown:

#32 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

As soon as I can get all those lights to line up and a few engine file changes they should be ready to go and be uploaded. I still have to do a cab inner view texture of my own yet. These have one that was done by Richard Percy and I haven't been able to contact him for a permission So I guess I will have to sit down and do one of my own. These are not one of my strong suits. Aah! Who looks in there anyway! Right! :handsdown: I'll get busy. :drool3:

#33 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Me! :drool3: :handsdown: But just if I´m waiting for a clear Signal and have already found all other such minor "Errors" around where I´m in a route :drool3:

Great looking Models, how ever the inside will turn out! :drool3:

Cheers, Markus

#34 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

I guess I'm in a building mood and not a finishing mood. Here I'm getting full use of the early pre dash-2 flex-i-coil trucks I made for the SD-9's and 18-24's. Actually these trucks were used on every pre dash-2 SD's up through the SD-45 with varying brake configurations and brake cylinder numbers and locations.

Here we have a new SD-35 model.

Attached Image: 1.jpg
Attached Image: 2.jpg
Attached Image: 3.jpg

I may finish some of the others in the next few weeks. If the mood strikes me that is.

Allen

I forgot to add that Conrail ordered several of their SD-50 EMD's with the older design Flex-i-coil trucks. They liked the reliability of the older trucks and they were shorter than the HTC design allowing for a larger fuel tank and fuel capacity. Probably should have put this in the trivia area. ;)

Allen

#35 User is offline   sawyer811 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Trainz/MSTS

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

rfranzosa, on 13 July 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

What he said :D

Indeed! the second I saw those gorgeous Southern Pacific SDs and GPs, it was full-bore salivation time for me! :) :) ;) That SD-35 looks like it's coming along nicely as well.

#36 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

B & O GUY, on 18 July 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

I guess I'm in a building mood and not a finishing mood. Here I'm getting full use of the early pre dash-2 flex-i-coil trucks I made for the SD-9's and 18-24's. Actually these trucks were used on every pre dash-2 SD's up through the SD-45 with varying brake configurations and brake cylinder numbers and locations.

Not to mention the FL9

Rick (New Haven Guy)

#37 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Not to mention the FL9

To the "untrained" or is that detrained eye they might seem to be the same. But in actuality they were different than the SD truck. They were shorter by 9 inches and they were "A1A with the center axle being in there to carry the extra weight of a larger steam boiler plus a large water tank, than the normal FP7-9's for train heat plus other equipment while staying within the weight limits of several bridges in the NY metropolitan area. The front truck was also a flex-i-coil 4 wheel design similar to the flex-i-coil switcher truck but was larger with a much greater weight carrying capability.

Rick! Your just trying to get me into one of those nasty noses, F's or E's. It must be a sign of modelerhood or something to successfully do one of those. :clapping:

Allen ;)

#38 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

B & O GUY, on 18 July 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

To the "untrained" or is that detrained eye they might seem to be the same. But in actuality they were different than the SD truck. They were shorter by 9 inches and they were "A1A with the center axle being in there to carry the extra weight of a larger steam boiler plus a large water tank, than the normal FP7-9's for train heat plus other equipment while staying within the weight limits of several bridges in the NY metropolitan area. The front truck was also a flex-i-coil 4 wheel design similar to the flex-i-coil switcher truck but was larger with a much greater weight carrying capability.

Rick! Your just trying to get me into one of those nasty noses, F's or E's. It must be a sign of modelerhood or something to successfully do one of those. :clapping:

Allen ;)

All true, Allen. I was speaking in generalities about the FL9 3 axle truck.

The issue with the FL9 and the Park Avenue viaduct was the added electrical gear (it was officially a Diesel Electric/Electric). The original intention of the EMD FL9 (with the 'L' meaning 'Long Range') was indeed for western roads to avoid water stops for the steam gens on transcontinental trips. The FL9 was designed, IIRC, for the Santa Fe, but they never bit on the idea.

It was 're-purposed' as a Diesel Electric/Electric for the New Haven, based on the already designed FL9 body. They slapped on third rail shoes and added rectifiers and what not in place of the extra steam gen/water tank to eliminate the need for an engine change from diesel to electric in New Haven.

This first trial of the concept was New Haven 'PP-712', which was an Alco DL-109 with one prime mover replaced with electrical gear. It was too heavy for the aforementioned Park Avenue viaduct, so the New Haven had to find an alternative, enter the FL9.

... and don't worry about the E/F/ nose, I've already got that covered :lol2:

Rick

#39 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Rick

I had to do one of these noses just to prove that I could. What a pita they are with all the compound curves and the double angle windshield. Not saying it's spot on but not bad for a couple of day's work. I may finish her. Right after the 99 other models I've started. :blink:

Attached Image: F3-4.jpg

Allen

#40 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

B & O GUY, on 20 July 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Rick

I had to do one of these noses just to prove that I could. What a pita they are with all the compound curves and the double angle windshield. Not saying it's spot on but not bad for a couple of day's work. I may finish her. Right after the 99 other models I've started. ;)

Allen

Why am I not surprised??? :blink:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users