• You cannot reply to this topic

Living up to my name B&O SD9's Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

Chris

I only ever rode in a GP-9 once. No doubt arranged by my dad through his many friends that worked for the B&O locally. I remember being quite fascinated by how far the locomotive rocked from side to side as they made their way from Salamanca to Bradford, PA. It and the cars that were following looked like they would surely tip right over on their sides at any moment. And thankfully they didn't. It was just another day's work for the engine men. No big deal. But for me it was a couple of hours that I would never forget.

Later in my working life I would ride the cars after getting a shove from the fork lift. My dad had a hardwood saw mill along the B&O and we had our own siding for out loading lumber and wood chips for pickup by the railroad. It was quite an art to get one of those 40 ft box cars to stop on a dime in front of the chip plant loading chute. I usually failed on the first or second attempt. And then occasionally the brakes would fail to stop the car quickly and I would get a long ride. A quarter of a mile or more. And My dad would really get on my case for holding up production. :lol2:

Allen

#22 User is offline   Mipman25 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Great work on the Cadillacs, Allen! What I'd give to have lived in the transition era when those early diesel could be seen with the last traces of steam locomotives.

#23 User is offline   Coonskin 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Allen:

IMHO, your latest round of diesels (especially the SD9/GP9) is your best diesel modeling/texturing effort to date! Very nice!

#24 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

View PostB & O GUY, on 09 July 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

Okay Tim. Southern Pacific will be well covered. I don't want to risk castigation from my Western friend's for not representing their favorite roads.

Allen :lol2:

Even though I didn't actually ask for, or even hint at you doing an ESPEE version, I'm glad to see you doing them, even the Black Widow scheme. And I'm amazed at how quickly you've produced these and, as Andre says, they are your finest works so far. Are you going to make multiple numbers or will renumbering be left to we end users?

Thanks, Allen.

#25 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:46 AM

View PostB & O GUY, on 09 July 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

Okay Tim. Southern Pacific will be well covered. I don't want to risk castigation from my Western friend's for not representing their favorite roads.

Even though I didn't actually ask for, or even hint at you doing an ESPEE version (I haven't been active with train simming at all these past few weeks), I'm glad to see you doing them, even the Black Widow scheme. And I'm amazed at how quickly you've produced these and, as Andre says, they are your finest works so far. Are you going to make multiple numbers or will renumbering be left to we end users?

Thanks, Allen.

#26 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:17 AM

Here's the "newer" than new Black Widow. She looks good enough to consider her done. Now I'll have to go back and work on the first one as she now looks sick and lowly. Isn't this always the case with doing another different version and then being dissatisfied with the first.

Attached Image: BlackWidow.jpg

Tim

I meant no offence. You were expressing your opinion and likes. And I felt the need to do something for you after falling on my face with the M-1 project. And we won't go into the reasons for that here other than I've become disenchanted with doing any steam after some of the remarks on this site of late. And besides. A decent diesel model can be cranked out in a couple of weeks with loads of decent sounds and cabviews available to accessorize it with. There has been no movement to do that for steam modelers despite the cry for more and more and bigger and fancier locomotives. Steam modeling has become ho-hum for me and others.

Oops! I said I wasn't going into that here.

I've really enjoyed doing these 9's and I have a few more up my sleeve in the weeks to come. And they will all be for Open Rails. I rather enjoy exporting a model directly from TSM and being able to enjoy my model in OR immediately without having to use Shape Fixer or PolyMaster. And the windows display correctly the first time as well as all the trans parts. What a joy.

I hope you get your spunk back Tim. Even if by spurts and squiggles.

Have a great day.

#27 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Even though I didn't actually ask for, or even hint at you doing an ESPEE version (I haven't been active with train simming at all these past few weeks), I'm glad to see you doing them, even the Black Widow scheme. And I'm amazed at how quickly you've produced these and, as Andre says, they are your finest works so far. Are you going to make multiple numbers or will renumbering be left to we end users?

Tim

Ill do a couple of other numbers as I have the correct fonts all set up for them.

Allen:

IMHO, your latest round of diesels (especially the SD9/GP9) is your best diesel modeling/texturing effort to date! Very nice!

Andre

I was bound to get better at this after 12 years of effort. And! Experimenting with all those buttons and whistles in the paint program helped some too. I've just bout got all the virtual paint worn off the virtual undo button in that program. But seriously. Learning how to use a paint program whether it be a Ford or a Cadillac helps a modeler considerably. Layers and special effects as well as transparency sliders make the modeling just that much more fun. Shape modeling is great for the main shape with paint for the details is what will help any simulator work better. Even Open Rails has it's limits as to poly numbers versus performance when it comes to the average Joe with his discount house Dell.

And thanks for the compliments fella's.

#28 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

Southern Pacific and Cotton Belt Geeps to go with the SD's.

Attached Image: SP-CB.jpg
Attached Image: SP-CB2.jpg

The Cotton Belt unit still has to shed the extra lights and the little V shaped piece on the roof as well as the SP lettering on the front. But it's close to being finished.

Enjoy the pix's.

Allen

#29 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

Very nice!!

#30 User is offline   rfranzosa 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS