• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Starting and cutting off engines Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

Engine stop/start has been done in MSTS but I cannot remember which engines had this feature added. There is one downside to this in MSTS, if you save while running, then restart from the save, the engine startup sequence plays even though you are already running.

#12 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 20 June 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

Engine stop/start has been done in MSTS but I cannot remember which engines had this feature added. There is one downside to this in MSTS, if you save while running, then restart from the save, the engine startup sequence plays even though you are already running.

Do you have any information about this feature? If there is a setting available in the ENG/SMS file, it will be much more simpler to implement our logic.

Thanks,

Matej

#13 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

Sorry - of course it's Shift - Y!
I noticed another trick with Y and Shift-Y on my system (OR 0.9): Shift-Y kills or restarts all of the helpers in the train at once; Y alone always works on the current cab. So Ctrl-E allows you to move to any loco in the train and make it the active loco.
While there are no sound changes, the F5 HUD does show that the diesel is "Off" and the RPM reads zero.

Sid P.

#14 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostMatej Pacha, on 20 June 2013 - 06:07 AM, said:

Do you have any information about this feature? If there is a setting available in the ENG/SMS file, it will be much more simpler to implement our logic.

Thanks,

Matej

Far as I recall it was done by using one of the keys normally used for another function, with a corresponding call in the sms file. I will have a poke about in my archive and see what turns up.

Mervyn

#15 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

View PostSid P., on 20 June 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

While there are no sound changes, the F5 HUD does show that the diesel is "Off" and the RPM reads zero.

That´s actually a Point I wanted to mention numerous times already, but never managed to do do, somehow...: If there can be a line saying the engine is shut down somehow there must exist a variable declaring that in-code. Thinking further, it then can´t be that big a Problem to just start or stop the sounds when starting or shutting down engines? Maybe with some fade-in or -out?

Would add another Piece of realism, especially to loco-tranfer runs, where usually only one or two locos are running (fuel consuption!)

Cheers, Markus

#16 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:-

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

View PostMatej Pacha, on 20 June 2013 - 06:07 AM, said:

Thanks,

Matej

As far as I recall, the one I've seen some times was assigning a sound to the wipers. Once you pressed V, the engine would make the start sound. Once you press it again, it would stop. Though things would unreaslistic as soon as you would increase the throttle. All in all, it would just activate an idle sound of the locomotive.

On a side note though, I've noticed that triggers 23 and 24 for "power on/off" events, added by Carlo Santucci. Just a suggestion, in case there isn't one already... would it be possible to make an "updated" list of triggers? [there's a nice table on the steam4me site on some sound tutorials, but its getting old and now obselete with all these new features for ORTS only].

#17 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostPA1930, on 20 June 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

On a side note though, I've noticed that triggers 23 and 24 for "power on/off" events, added by Carlo Santucci. Just a suggestion, in case there isn't one already... would it be possible to make an "updated" list of triggers? [there's a nice table on the steam4me site on some sound tutorials, but its getting old and now obselete with all these new features for ORTS only].

If you scroll down to "switch (source)" in http://svn.uktrainsi...ommon/Events.cs (login: orpublic/orpublic) you can see the current Open Rails mapping for MSTS event IDs, including some comments on weirdness and things still unknown. Note that the MSTS Bin-specific ones are split out above the main MSTS ones.

Anyone is welcome to turn this in to a beautiful table and/or spot errors, make corrections, etc., though all changes must be vetted as this is a complex area to test.

#18 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

In MSTS only electrics can be switched on/off. A fake switch on/switch off for diesels was sometimes done (also by myself) as explained by copperpen and PA1930.
But under ORTS it's possible to have real diesel switch on/switch off and since today also the related sounds can be provided. By the way I used the sound triggers already available for the same function for electrics, so I did not have to add triggers to the list.
Here a small demo of the feature
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr6zPNYNv6Y
To indicate how sms files have to be modified to use the new feature here I show how the trigger block of the first stream of the GP38eng.sms file has been modified

Triggers ( 13
					Skip( **** The engine/current related sounds - Stream 1 {Xfade}         **** )
					Initial_Trigger  ( 							            StartLoop   ( 1 File ( "x_gp_power_cruise1.wav" -1 )   SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Discrete_Trigger ( 23 StartLoopRelease ( 1 File ( "x_gp_poweron1.wav" -1 )   SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable2_Inc_Past 0.050 ReleaseLoopRelease () )
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable2_Inc_Past 0.150 StartLoop   ( 1 File ( "x_gp_power_cruise3.wav" -1 )   SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable2_Inc_Past 0.450 ReleaseLoopRelease () )
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable2_Inc_Past 0.550 StartLoop   ( 1 File ( "x_gp_power_cruise5.wav" -1 )   SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable2_Inc_Past 0.850 ReleaseLoopRelease () )
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable2_Dec_Past 0.850 StartLoop   ( 1 File ( "x_gp_power_cruise5.wav" -1 )   SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable2_Dec_Past 0.550 ReleaseLoopRelease () )					
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable2_Dec_Past 0.450 StartLoop   ( 1 File ( "x_gp_power_cruise3.wav" -1 )   SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable2_Dec_Past 0.150 ReleaseLoopRelease () )					
					Variable_Trigger ( Variable2_Dec_Past 0.050 StartLoop   ( 1 File ( "x_gp_power_cruise1.wav" -1 )   SelectionMethod ( SequentialSelection ) ) )
					Discrete_Trigger ( 24 ReleaseLoopRelease ())
				)

File x_gp_poweron1.wav contains the power on sound. It is composed by two parts: the first part is the real power on sound, and the second part contains the looped (by means of two cue points) x_gp_power_cruise1.wav file.
At the moment I haven't introduced in this demo .sms file a fade off sound when the engine is powered off.

It has to be noticed that at the moment diesel engines have power on at ORTS start (differently from electrics, that have panto down and power off at game start).

The two lines related to trigger 23 and 24 do not affect negatively operation under MSTS.

#19 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

This effect sounds really nice!

#20 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Simulator:-

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 20 June 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

If you scroll down to "switch (source)" in http://svn.uktrainsi...ommon/Events.cs (login: orpublic/orpublic) you can see the current Open Rails mapping for MSTS event IDs, including some comments on weirdness and things still unknown. Note that the MSTS Bin-specific ones are split out above the main MSTS ones.

Anyone is welcome to turn this in to a beautiful table and/or spot errors, make corrections, etc., though all changes must be vetted as this is a complex area to test.

Thanks for the info, James!

Also Carlo, thanks for that demonstration video. These new features look really nice! Great work. :pardon:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users