• You cannot reply to this topic

OR fps taking a dive Oh no, not again... Rate Topic: -----

#71 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostButtercup, on 06 June 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

I have had good luck compressing .ace files with acecomp which is still available here: http://www.trainsimc...download/Tools/.

I'd like to convert ACE textures to dds, also remake mipmaps for it, as OR is supports dds, which is more closer to the hardware (GPUs can handle dxt compressed textures in dds files), also ACE doesn't support dxt3-dxt5 for textures with alpha, and some modelers probably made their textures without mipmap just to make it look sharper, and doesn't think about the consequences :sign_rockon:

#72 User is offline   BB25187 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails MSTS

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

Hi,

As for the load induced by the sound process, it must also be mentionned that the root cause may be in the SMS files too. Namely, in the late time of MSTS and more precisely since the arrival of the bin-patch, people have started creating SMS files with huge number of streams, some of which were totally useless. I have the case of some electric engines in mind, where the sound of each of the numerous notches has been placed in a separate stream. The common sense indicates that since two notches are never played at the very same time, the corresponding sounds could all be placed in the same common stream, which I guess would lead to a much smaller load for the sound process? This is not to say that the simulator hasn't any responsibility in the whole efficiency of the program. But well: we should also take care when we develop the contents (as highlighted for the textures just above)!

Regards

#73 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

View Postdisc, on 09 June 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

The GPU is overloaded for sure, i see that too sometimes even on the default routes. However i don't know why the gpu usage is so high sometimes with OR. For example my GPU usage with 30 fps limit, peaks at 70% in TS2013, but sometimes it's at 99% under OR with the low poly msts content.

I don't know where that 30 FPS limit is set, but without any FPS limit I believe it is quite typical for CPU-limited games to use more GPU when displaying "less" content - there are less draw calls, so obviously the game can push out more frames per second, but there's also things like less occluded models/polygons/texels so a higher proportion of things have to be drawn by the GPU with e.g. pixel shaders and general frame overhead.

View Postdisc, on 09 June 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

BTW i've seen in Skyrim, that the shadows of static objects are computed not in every frame, but just in 5 second intervals. Can't be such optimizations help the performance in OR? Maybe there are more calculations that are not necessary to be done in every frame.

Yes, but it's a very complex optimisation to make. I believe you need twice the VRAM for storing the shadow maps and there's extra work in the pixel shaders to check two shadow maps instead of one.

We always look to reduce the work done per-frame and if you spot anything specific, just let us a know.

#74 Inactive_AlFitz_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

Thought I'd post these screens up to illustrate the variance in the frame rates I encounter. I run OR in a 1600x900 window.

Am I right in thinking that the low framerates in the second instance are caused by the large number of winter tree textures and the strain of rendering or blending the alpha channel in them rather than the actual total of graphic calls by the program?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Open Rails 2013-06-10 10-13-12.png
  • Attached Image: Open Rails 2013-06-09 11-05-40.png

#75 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

In the second shot, your CPU is under less load but the GPU is under a higher load, so it might be as you suggest, but I think not enough to knock FPS from 171 to 17. I only have a two core processor, and my video card only has 1024Mb, but I never see FPS as low as that, even in winter with lots of trees about. Which route is that?.

#76 Inactive_AlFitz_*

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

Its the East Coast Express by European Bahn which comes in 4 parts. It's the only commercial route I have because I live in Welwyn and often get the train on the line (it's known as the East Coast Main Line), so it's quite fun for me to run it.

I do agree that the frame rate drop is excessive however, I'll try it with the summer scenery and post a screeny of that.

#77 Inactive_AlFitz_*

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

There isn't a lot of improvement as you can see; but a few miles further down the line sees the fps go up to 60!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Open Rails 2013-06-13 12-33-27.png
  • Attached Image: Open Rails 2013-06-13 12-37-36.png

#78 User is offline   Metro4001 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

OR seems to despise trees on my computer, or any ground vegetation for that matter. I'm running an activity on the Green River sub and FPS ranges from a beautiful sixty to twenty. I remember the days when anything over 15 was sweet, but 22 never looked so bad as it does now. Hopefully as work continues the sim will be better optimized. I'll poke around and see which routes and activities work better than others.

#79 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

View PostAlFitz, on 12 June 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

There isn't a lot of improvement as you can see; but a few miles further down the line sees the fps go up to 60!

To join the Topic I started once more, this is actually what I also am seeing, but on the default Marias Pass, Whitefish Yard... (after having tuned my graphics Settings to the ultimate, I now get around 25 to 60, but on a Default route...)

Yours, Markus

#80 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

Well, taking the default Marias Pass, in Summer Clear, explore mode. Select the last Whitefish Shelby path which starts you just west of Whitefish yard. Use the Dash9 with 50 mixed consist. At the start looking along the train in view 2, my FPS stabilise at 139. Change to view 1 and it drops to 104. I stay in the cab and drive through Whitefish and as I get to the east end of the yard my FPS is up to 145. Using X1641.

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users