• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An experiment with LOD distance values in x1551 Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 29 April 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

Obtained x1589 via SVN, Nothing extra in any of the Options menu's, LODViewingExtension appears in the log file but if it is Set to 1 (true) in the registry OR takes no notice of it. Frame rate is somewhere around 60% of x1585 and no change in the scenery.

Lindsay

Oops, ignore comment on frame rate I forgot I increased the viewing distance from 4000 to 6000 metres. Other comments stand though.

#42 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

Apologies for the missing menu option, one of the required menu files had not been included in the update.
This has now been corrected in version X1590.

As for the difference, here is an example : top is without, bottom is with the patch.
Attached Image: without_patch.jpg

Attached Image: with_patch.jpg

#43 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

That worked better............

I have given it an initial test on the TA_vic_NE route. The system and OR set up is.......

MB ASUS P6X58D Premium, 3 memory channels
CPU i7 950
12g ram
Graphics Radeon HD 7870
Monitor HP ZR30w, 30 inch 2560x1600
No antialiasing or anything like that enabled
(I found it had no real effect on the 30 inch monitor).
Windows XP SP3

OR viewing distance 5000 metres
No shadows
"Set highest LOD to viewing distance" enabled
Distant Mountains enabled although route does not have DM

I drove the entire length of the line, The frame rate in the suburban area varied from 40fps to around 140fps at no time was the sim really jerky and unplayable. During the whole drive the frame rate would have been below 50fps for only around 5 to 7 minutes. The amount of time below 45 fps was not to much. The rest of the time (say 70 minutes) it was between 60 and 200 fps (maximum render primitives was in the order of 9800, I have rarely seen it that high).
Enabling this option completely solved the issues I have. I may say I was surprised OR could draw that many objects and still get a decent frame rate. It was REAL nice to see everything including the track, fences and telegraph poles disappearing into the distance.
Note, the frame rate was roughly a third of the frame for the standard route.

It would be interesting to see if an algorythm to sort the objects by size could be done, so that small items did to not have to be drawn at great distances. Although from my view it would appear to be unrequired.

Systems are only going to get quicker, imagine the future!!!!!

Another major step forward in realism in my opinion!!

Lindsay

#44 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

Setting the viewing distance to 5000 metres and enabling "Set highest LOD to viewing distance" has absolutely made the TA_NE_vic route. This route is what one may call my "home" line, it being the line I use when travelling by train to Melbourne, so I know the line very well. I was not overly impressed when it was first released as one could not see the surrounding hills, the line for most of its length running up a wide shallow valley. With these options one can see the surrounding hills with the objects on them __MUCH__BETTER__.

Lindsay

#45 User is offline   ChrisD 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:15 AM

Rob, this new feature introduced in x-1590 is really great. Please let this "feature" stay in, and make it an option also in future builds.

As long as our supply of routes consists of old MSTS stuff, this patch frees me of the tedious task of modifying a ton of shape files with new LOD´s. :sign_thanks:

The method may be overkill, but when new Routes are developed solely for OR, including assets with lifelike LOD´s the feature can just be selected off.

I like the ability to solely select the viewing distance optimal for each route, so please never impose restrictions on this feature.

If a user with an old Laptop with a meager Graphics card really wants to push the envelope, then let him see the 2 fps or less.

Having tested different viewing distances for a couple of weeks now, I have settled with 4096m. From 4 to 10 Kms I only need the big hi-rise items like masts and hi-rise buildings and chimneys.

4000 Meters viewing distance in the middle of Berlin or any other Major City is more than ample, apart from the missing "Fernsehturm" and a handful of Masts and Hi-rises.

Going to 10 Km´s gives me the Masts and the "Fernsehturm", but also a lot of buildings that can only be seen from the birds´s eye perspective.

A routine that scans the surrounding tiles for assets with LODS > 4000 and displaying them in the 4 - 10 Km range may be a very good idea.

What do You Folks think of that.

For now, Thank You for making OR testing a lot of fun. :search:

ChrisD

#46 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Well said ChrisD, could not have put it better, The increased viewing distance and the LOD feature has absolutely made most of the MSTS routes i run. For most of the routes I have tried I have not gone beyond 6000 metres as some of them (the early ones) have not been terraformed beyond that distance.

It would possibly be worthwhile to refine the LOD feature when someone has some free time at some future period.

Lindsay

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users