• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Standalone OR and BIN What is the working relationship? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

I have OR on a drive that does not have any MSTS content on it. I do have a trainset, a consist, and a routes folder under the main OR folder, no other MSTS content. When setting up folders, you get the option of using BIN compatible sound. Since there is no MSTS content, hence no BIN, what is the effect of having a check mark in the box? I am guessing that without BIN being installed anywhere on the hard drive, checking the box is without meaning.

#2 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

The MSTS Bin patch adjusted some of the sound behaviours in the game, including adding a few new sounds. Open Rails can simulate both the original MSTS sound behaviours or the MSTS Bin behaviours. In general, you probably want it ticked, as it'll give better results for any locomotives that were designed specifically for MSTS Bin and usually doesn't harm any that weren't.

#3 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thanks James.

OR mimicks BIN. Thats what I wanted to know.

Craig

James Ross, on 22 March 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

The MSTS Bin patch adjusted some of the sound behaviours in the game, including adding a few new sounds. Open Rails can simulate both the original MSTS sound behaviours or the MSTS Bin behaviours. In general, you probably want it ticked, as it'll give better results for any locomotives that were designed specifically for MSTS Bin and usually doesn't harm any that weren't.

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

ckawahara, on 22 March 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

I have OR on a drive that does not have any MSTS content on it. I do have a trainset, a consist, and a routes folder under the main OR folder, no other MSTS content.

Don't forget /global, /global shapes, and /sound directories, then populate the usual directories w/ tsection.dat, Scalerail & roads. That should give you the full structure and files you need w/o any proprietary MSTS content.

Beyond that is a question of how many MSTS routes you want to run later on in OR... if the answer is > none, then add all of the other files from /global/shapes files and /Sounds.

#5 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

Whoa or however it's spelled. So that is my issue. I was under the impression that no MSTS content was required. Guess it's time to read the manual.

Craig

Genma Saotome, on 22 March 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

Don't forget /global, /global shapes, and /sound directories, then populate the usual directories w/ tsection.dat, Scalerail & roads. That should give you the full structure and files you need w/o any proprietary MSTS content.

Beyond that is a question of how many MSTS routes you want to run later on in OR... if the answer is > none, then add all of the other files from /global/shapes files and /Sounds.

#6 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

IMO the Tsection file is something you can get w/o owning MSTS, ditto for Marc's ScaleStuff.

The stuff that's proprietary are the original 2001 MSTS roads, track and static shapes, textures for both, and many of the sounds. Freeware replacements can be used as substitutes but unfortunately only a portion of the originals have been replaced that way.

#7 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Ok, I need some assistance. Following as a guide from the similiar topic here about a standalone OR, I create g:\or_v08 which hold the Open Rails files as extracted from the download. I then copies the MSTS folders global (and the subfolders), sound, and trains into it.

Opening OR, add the folder I made, I can see the route, but no cars, engines, or consists.

The OR manual says that the folder must be named Train Simulator, so I made g:\OR_Data\Train Simulator and move the Global, Sound, and Trains folder into it, and selected the new folder structure. Again, I saw only the route.

I would like to know what I am doing wrong? I would like to keep the global data in a global folder, the sound in a sound folder, etc.

#8 Inactive_PM1225_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:10 AM

ckawahara, on 23 March 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

Ok, I need some assistance. Following as a guide from the similiar topic here about a standalone OR, I create g:\or_v08 which hold the Open Rails files as extracted from the download. I then copies the MSTS folders global (and the subfolders), sound, and trains into it.

Opening OR, add the folder I made, I can see the route, but no cars, engines, or consists.

The OR manual says that the folder must be named Train Simulator, so I made g:\OR_Data\Train Simulator and move the Global, Sound, and Trains folder into it, and selected the new folder structure. Again, I saw only the route.

I would like to know what I am doing wrong? I would like to keep the global data in a global folder, the sound in a sound folder, etc.

I think you're missing the "routes" folder. There is a lot of good information in this thread: Running open rails outside of MSTS

FWIW, I've been doing this for a week or so with no problems at all. What I did was simply copied the global, routes, sound, trains and utils folders over to a folder called openrails_data, then pointed the openrails program to it.

#9 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:29 AM

Genma Saotome, on 22 March 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

The stuff that's proprietary are the original 2001 MSTS roads, track and static shapes, textures for both, and many of the sounds. Freeware replacements can be used as substitutes but unfortunately only a portion of the originals have been replaced that way.

Also the dieselsmoke.ace and smokemain.ace (needed from steam locomotives) are proprietary. These are the only ones affect the rolling stock. These two need to be replaced in short term IMO, and might go into the content project along with moon, clouds texture and other artwork.

#10 User is offline   ckawahara 

• Member since Nov. 2003

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

Thanks PM1225.

This is how I have my OR data folder...after a failed first attemp, I used the post you have the link to as a guide. (See attached image of my folder structure).

OR sees the route, but not anything else. No trains or cars.

Craig

PM1225, on 24 March 2013 - 03:10 AM, said:

I think you're missing the "routes" folder. There is a lot of good information in this thread: Running open rails outside of MSTS

FWIW, I've been doing this for a week or so with no problems at all. What I did was simply copied the global, routes, sound, trains and utils folders over to a folder called openrails_data, then pointed the openrails program to it.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users