• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Too many emergency stops Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

The biggest issues I have is that none of the routes I run have any signals on them. Very few locos I run have emergency brakes.
Why are those that run dark routes subjected to these rules which don't apply?
That's why I've been asking for an, on / off switch of some sorts.

:sign_thanks:

:oldstry:

#22 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

View Postthegrindre, on 09 February 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

The biggest issues I have is that none of the routes I run have any signals on them. Very few locos I run have emergency brakes.
Why are those that run dark routes subjected to these rules which don't apply?

:sign_thanks:

:oldstry:

Dark routes also have extensive train control, just not through physical signals. The word 'signalling' in this respect is not just a reference to those ligths or arms on posts, but to everything to do with control of trains - switch alignment, deadlock prevention, collision prevention etc. That logic is applied to dark routes in very much the same way as signalled routes. The only difference is that there are no signals to display the information. For the time being, you will have to take the information from the F4 window. Specific logic for dark routes (train order control) which differs from the 'normal' logic has been discussed before and will be implemented as soon as the activity definitions have been worked out. The present information in the MSTS activity files is insuffiecient to control this specific logic, in particular as it requires 'triggers' between trains, something MSTS can not handle. Furthermore, some definition has to be worked out to set a route or a part of a route as 'dark', such that train order control would apply rather than the normal control. Just a user option would not suffice as it might be applied to just part of a route - there is no reason why a route could not have both signalled and dark sections. Would be very interesting, in fact.
These points have not been ignored - it just all takes time.

And, anyway, on dark routes you cannot get an emergency brake for running through a red signal :oldstry: .

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink

PS. Just one further remark :
if you run just a single train (no AI), you can run in explorer mode and the brake application will not apply (when the recoding is completed). But if you run AI trains, there must be some control, otherwise everything would just run as ghost-trains. Without control, AI trains would just always run on, right through eachother and through the player train etcetera. That control is the 'signalling' process - of which the player train is just as much a part as the AI trains. In fact, the control logic makes no distinction between player or AI train. That is why you have 'signalling' on dark routes. And I don't think you would like the result if that were removed.

#23 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

It's also important to remember that all of this is a work in progress. What's a problem today can be fixed later on.

Earlier in this thread I suggested there might a need for 4 modes (there are really only two right now). Four was a hunch. Could be three... could be 5 -- or more. It'll take some time to think thru, categorizing the types of operation, how they are similar and dissimilar from what's been coded, and to figure out what to do.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users