Too many emergency stops Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

View Postroeter, on 06 February 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

Admittedly, I never run in Explorer mode.
Rob Roeterdink

Rob,

IMO explore mode is not a defined activity but instead is the antithesis of any formal definition. There is no need whatsoever for any kind of train control and any CPU cycles spent on train control are CPU cycles that are wasted. The only necessary use of a defined path in explore mode is to locate the starting position of the train. Beyond that purpose, everything else about it should be a don't care.

As far as prioritizing work goes, I am sure that you are doing the right thing with your focus on getting the new code to work properly for all activities. But a lot of people don't use activities, they simply explore, and eventually things need to work properly for them too.

One more thought... it is quite possible that the varying opinions on what is needed is due too many meanings wrapped up in Kuju's labels of Activity and Explore Mode. I'm not saying that for a fact, just observing that many times heated debates over what feature xyz should do are happily resolved with the discovery that people are arguing over two different concepts that are called by the same name. Meaning what to do might become much more clear if the phrases "Activity" and "Explore Mode" were dropped -- at least for discussion purposes -- and we tried something else... for example, perhaps Strict Train Control, Flexible Train Control, Lax Train Control, and No Train Control might serve, where the first two are the Auto and Manual modes being implemented now, Lax meaning there is a defined path to guide you for a while but it can be abandoned at any time with no effort... possibly has AI trains... but essentially other than the initial path no other controls, and the last is you get a place to start and everything after that is on the players shoulders. Just food for thought.

#12 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 07 February 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

The only necessary use of a defined path in explore mode is to locate the starting position of the train. Beyond that purpose, everything else about it should be a don't care.

I would suggest that aligning the switches to the chosen path initially is also a purpose of the path, but I would agree that anything that interferes with free running is a problem (I don't mind if switches align when you hit them wrong or the error is just ignored but anything else is a hindrance).

#13 User is offline   eric from trainsim 

• Waste Disposal Engineer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostLindsayts, on 07 February 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

One exception (sort of) to locking of main line points are isolated passing loops these use trailable turnouts, at one end the turnout is set to the main line the other its set to the loop. ON exit the trains wheels simply push the blade out of the way. In such loops the position of the point blades are protected by signalling. The signal simply indicating that the blades are properly home.

In the US, we call those spring switches -- there's a spring in the bar mechanism which keeps the blades in the normal position, but allows the blades to move open with appropriate pressure from the trailing end.

This is still used by some railroads, and widely used with trams/traction/trolley/interurban.

View PostWalter Conklin, on 08 February 2013 - 05:13 AM, said:

I am one of those OR and MSTS users that David mentioned about who mainly chooses a predefined path to explore a particular portion of a route. I do this to check for any issues that might come up on the Tristate route project. Eventually, users will come up with more polished activities for the route.

Same with me --- I use it side by side with the Route Editor to "fit check" what I'm doing on scenery or track repairs.

#14 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

Just to throw this out there... If the player had the ability to set trailing switches ahead and behind, it would enable the ability to perform some old time real life maneuvers, such as a "Flying Switch."

This move, now outlawed, was used when you were facing a spur track, with a car behind you, and no runaround. You'd approach the spur at the (hopefully) correct speed to be able to cut the car off, and run away from it, while your brakeman threw the switch behind you, routing the car onto the spur where it would clear the switch (hopefully), allowing you to back through the switch, and push the car into it's proper position.

Robert

#15 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

I have to agree about the Emergency stops with 1423. I started to re-run the CNW activities using OR to see how it preformed. and trying both v8.0 and X1423 I was impressed the way 1423 exhibits reverse points on the track monitor now but unfortunately 99% of the time there is a large red block covering most of the reverse indication and usually as you approach the reverse point the engine goes into Emergency breaking. Some times you can stop prior to the reverse point and the red block will disappear and you can drive up to the point to cause it to disappear and become functional. But as I said most of the time I'm stuck.
Oh yeah, brings up the question of how the heck do you ever get started again. I've mashed the buttons til I'm blue in the face trying to come out of Emergency. (Obviously I have not found instructions on this. the PDF for OR doesn't cover it that I could find)
:lol2:

#16 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

View Postspud, on 09 February 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

I have to agree about the Emergency stops with 1423. I started to re-run the CNW activities using OR to see how it preformed. and trying both v8.0 and X1423 I was impressed the way 1423 exhibits reverse points on the track monitor now but unfortunately 99% of the time there is a large red block covering most of the reverse indication and usually as you approach the reverse point the engine goes into Emergency breaking. Some times you can stop prior to the reverse point and the red block will disappear and you can drive up to the point to cause it to disappear and become functional. But as I said most of the time I'm stuck.
Oh yeah, brings up the question of how the heck do you ever get started again. I've mashed the buttons til I'm blue in the face trying to come out of Emergency. (Obviously I have not found instructions on this. the PDF for OR doesn't cover it that I could find)

Instructions are here.

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink

#17 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Has this new feature been placed in the Options menu so we can either turn it on or off?

;)

#18 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I just came up with another idea or suggestion about these pesky emergence stops.
Is it possible to add a tag in the engine file on whether or not the particular engine has emergence brakes or not?
If not, then the feature is ignored.

;)

#19 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

View Postthegrindre, on 09 February 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

Has this new feature been placed in the Options menu so we can either turn it on or off?

;)

The application of emergency brakes is not just a new feature but an integral part of the new signalling.
The scope of that change is such that an option to choose between old and new signalling is not feasible.

But don't panic - the comments on this subject are not being ignored, but the changes required - in particular for Explorer mode - will take some time to implement.
For normal activity mode, the brake application will be maintained, at least for the time being until proper collision and derailment logic has been introduced.

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink

#20 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

View Postthegrindre, on 09 February 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

I just came up with another idea or suggestion about these pesky emergence stops.
Is it possible to add a tag in the engine file on whether or not the particular engine has emergence brakes or not?
If not, then the feature is ignored.

:sign_thanks:

:oldstry:

I'm afraid that for running in normal activity mode (in AUTO control), this is not possible.
In AUTO control, everything related to the signalling and track occupation is based on the train's route. When the train goes off it's route, all that information becomes invalid. When the brake is applied, the train is 'isolated' from the signalling until it is stopped. Then, by switching to MANUAL mode, it's position is reestablished and proper situation restored. Other trains which may be affected are stopped and their routes reset to clear the track the train is now on, if necessarry.
For AUTO control, I think this is quite appropriate. The brake applications only occur if you violate safety issues, like running through red signals or going beyond authorized locations. Such actions would in real life lead to very stringent measures.
For Explorer mode, work is in hand to change things, as I mentioned above.

Regards,

Rob Roeterdink

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users