• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Unable to build from source Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   CGW121 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:15 AM

And why should the OR team change what and how they do things because YOU don't like it? Seems like you just want to stir up trouble. Thats my 2 cents anyway.

#12 User is offline   CGW121 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

View PostWalter Conklin, on 18 December 2012 - 06:53 AM, said:

Hello

I don't believe that Luke meant any harm by asking his questions. While it is beneficial for the train simulator community to have open discussion, which the Open Rails team encourages, regrading the project , questioning the decisions made by the OR team is best done by contacting the team directly at admin@openrails.org. That way we can try to avoid controversey on the open forums.

We also do not need people building their own version of Open Rails and passing it off as the latest release. It prevents confusion. There are enough people who are incessant with their complaining and or suggestions who get upset that OR is not being done to their sanctification. So perhaps it is not open source as some others define it.

#13 Inactive_Lukecool_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

Hello,

Thanks Walter - I really did mean no harm at all in starting and pursuing this thread - quite the reverse - it seems to be an excellent program and one which I was keen to experiment with with a possible view to contributing after first determinimg whether this was feasible. So I was a bit taken aback when, after reading all the promotional stuff I discovered that the source code with which to build it was not freely available and that this is deliberate policy by the team.

As regards "We also do not need people building their own version of Open Rails and passing it off as the latest release", well thats obvious but the fact remains the only to develope any new software is 1) Build a new version 2) Test it 3)

#14 Inactive_Lukecool_*

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

oooops....finger problems...... 3) revise it and repeat the process (seemingly endlessly) from 1).

"Passing it of as the latest release" is a seperate issue, but obviously there have to be ways in which this can be permitted whilst still permitting development.

Anyway any criticisms that I made were intended to be constructive and not wantonly generate controversy in an open forum. In future I will refrain and address any such remarks to admin@openrails.org as suggested. Once again thanks.

#15 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

View PostLukecool, on 18 December 2012 - 02:45 AM, said:

I could suggest some alternative names for the "Open" part of your project but I dont want to risk the ire of yourself or those other sterling souls "the numerous software professionals and handfull of laymen" engaged in it.

<<ADMIN NOTE>>

You will refrain from making snide comments about other members of this board.

Want to ask questions? Ask. Want to make observations? Write them up and post. They'll be noted and commented on in return. But do not come to this board with an attitude.

#16 User is offline   BillonRail 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:OpenRail

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

I just find the 0.8 version public Open Rails source code and downloaded them from the SVN server, but then I find it unable to compile, and I took it for granted that this must be a bug, so I reported a bug. The reply of this bug provided me a link to this post, which brings me more confusion. If this copy of code is only for "read", why not just provide some kind of documents?
I really suggest the Open Rails team provide a copy of code that is ready to run, which on one hand won't splinter the project as this copy of code is read only, and on the other hand will allow more people be able to debug this program and make it more stable by reporting more valuable bugs. And I also think people like Luke will be very helpful for the project once they have a complete copy of the code.

#17 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

I do understand the frustration here (FWIW, my own voice and vote was in disagreement to the policy we're now following). I doubt the decision is going to be changed in the immediate future because the issues that caused the decision to be made are not resolved. I do expect the decision to be set aside at some future date (just an opinion) when these issues are no longer relevant.

Periodically there is a need for new programmers (life intrudes and people need to move on). If anyone w/ programming skills wishes to be part of the team they can drop us a note to ask if there is an opening. Of course on joining the team all of the source code (and all of the reasons behind certain decisions) is made available.

#18 Inactive_Lukecool_*

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

So very sorry I offended you Dave. At worse I thought I was only using some gentle humour while trying to be helpfull. By way of a "peace offering" let me make one final observation which is made politely and in good faith. Part of the reason I was interested in the source was to look into the feasibility of contributing to the project. Without boring you if you knew anything of my professional background you would know that my knowledge experience and technical skills needed to do this are simply beyond question. The nature of the "feasibility" I was investigating was more along the lines of ascertaining the quality structure and documentation of the code, the methods and policies with regard to code management and releases and the general working environment. I would like to thank you all for answering these questions so eloquently and unequivocally, which I am sure will be of use to any similarly qualified people who might otherwise be interested to join this project. Again "Thank You".

#19 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Let's just put it behind us then. Please consider contacting the team directly; your specific skills may be exactly what is wanted right now.

#20 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostLukecool, on 17 December 2012 - 06:11 PM, said:

(BTW to clear up a technical point Visual Studio 2008 may well RUN on Windows 7 and 8 ( if you have,say , a legacy copy installed with XP), but the INSTALLER wont work - thats quite a common problem with older installers - 16 bitcode and all that. But in any event a moot point in this contect since there is no source available!)

I've had no trouble installing Visual Studio 2008 Professional on Windows 7 and Windows 8; I've been happily developing for OR on both versions of Windows. There must be more to this issue it seems, though I suspect this isn't the best forum to resolve it.

I'd also like to point out that I would much prefer all of the OR source to be publically available for released builds, if not the whole repository, but it isn't my decision and we're not presently in a position to avoid this restricted-source issue right now. The plan is very much to remove these limitations with time.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users