• You cannot reply to this topic

CTRL+E not working? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hello!

I have read a couple of problems about the CTRL+E giving some problems. Though as far as I have read, such problem has been resolved before so hopefully I am not making a "double topic" here. I have had a problem, and I am wondering if its either a bug or something that is currently being fixed. On the latest experimental verion of OR, whenever I try to make CTRL+E it tells me something like "Warning - Locomotive: Switching is not available". Now I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if its a new bug or, like I mentioned also, if its something temporarly deactivated to be fixed.
I hope anyone can give me some help with this.

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

'Ola, Pedro, my great-grandfather was from Madeira.

Re Ctrl+E, are you attempting this switch with the train stopped, or moving?

Regards
Bazza

#3 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 16 December 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

'Ola, Pedro, my great-grandfather was from Madeira.

Re Ctrl+E, are you attempting this switch with the train stopped, or moving?

Regards
Bazza

Ah, nice to know! :)

I am attempting Ctrl+E with the train stopped. Even without cars, coupled, loco brakes applied, train brakes applied, but it doesn't let me to change cabs at all.

Also, I'll also question about a control that I have had in mind it existed but I can't seam to find it now. Wasn't there some control that would turn the loco's engines on or off? I believe its possible to change cabs when the loco is still working... At least on another version I could do it!

#4 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

Wasn't there some control that would turn the loco's engines on or off?

This is not a default occurance in MSTS. The startup can be faked, but it is not a ideal solution.

The alleged reason for there being no locomotive (diesel) startup sequence in MSTS, was rumoured to have been it was a condition of cooperation by BNSF. For security reasons, they didn't want people knowing how to startup a standing diesel locomotive.

(I have been present in the cab of a real diesel-electric loco on startup.)

Cheers Bazza

#5 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

Hi Pedro,

View PostPA1930, on 16 December 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

On the latest experimental verion of OR, whenever I try to make CTRL+E it tells me something like "Warning - Locomotive: Switching is not available".

Two checks are made, the first to make sure there is another cab to switch to and the second to make sure that the train is stationary.

You've bumped into the first check.

What happens when you try this on Marias Pass:Auto Train with Set-Out? Can you switch between the two locos?

#6 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 16 December 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

This is not a default occurance in MSTS. The startup can be faked, but it is not a ideal solution.

The alleged reason for there being no locomotive (diesel) startup sequence in MSTS, was rumoured to have been it was a condition of cooperation by BNSF. For security reasons, they didn't want people knowing how to startup a standing diesel locomotive.

(I have been present in the cab of a real diesel-electric loco on startup.)

Cheers Bazza

Funny they have that concern, considering there are simulators that all simulate perfect start ups. Before RailWorks and now the very recent Run 8, you have had Trainz Simulator 2006 with the first starting up locos. I recall they even had some activities/missions where you had to start off your loco and then refuel it, then shunt some wagons. Still, I remember that, that when I pressed that control to turn off a loco, it would put it onto 0 RPM and no smoke at all... It can be a fake thing, but it was a nice thing for a change! :)

(I have been also present on a real diesel hidraulic, diesel-electric, and electric locos start ups myself).

View Postcjakeman, on 17 December 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

Hi Pedro,

Two checks are made, the first to make sure there is another cab to switch to and the second to make sure that the train is stationary.

You've bumped into the first check.

What happens when you try this on Marias Pass:Auto Train with Set-Out? Can you switch between the two locos?

Thanks for suggesting that. I haven't tried that mission but I have tried with a consist with loco+cars+loco. Indeed it was possible to change cabs to the rear loco but that known problem of the reverser and all controls not being functional still happens. The train is always stationary when I tried to do this. Though considering this function worked with another loco, shouldn't there be a way to make it work with only one loco?

#7 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:03 AM

View PostPA1930, on 17 December 2012 - 02:55 AM, said:

I haven't tried that mission but I have tried with a consist with loco+cars+loco. Indeed it was possible to change cabs to the rear loco but that known problem of the reverser and all controls not being functional still happens.

I committed a fix for "that known problem" at the weekend.

Please try it. If you still have a problem, we will need to know the route and activity or consist.

#8 User is offline   rustybolts 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:17 AM

Disclaimer: I have not tried to switch engines in Open Rails.

Could your problem be caused because the loco brakes are applied? I know that with MSTS BIN, the loco brakes cannot be applied when you switch cabs. Does Open Rail require you to not have the loco brakes applied?
Aaron

#9 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

Well, the locos/consist in question are CP 1935+3 CP Sorefame Cars+CP 1809. The route is "Camino de Hierro de Soria" or as the folder of the route is named "VALLARIZASORIA". It wasn't on an activity, it was just an explore route session.

The locos CP 1935 and CP 1809 have cab_rv.cvf files for their cabs so I suppose it should be possible to change cabs. The locos are available for download but I highly doubt that they have the reversable cabs as they are rather old versions. I have made the reverse cabs myself.
Locos are on this page: http://www.comboios....=category&id=25
CP Sorefame cars are here: http://www.comboios....=category&id=28

As for the brakes... Indeed I know you couldn't change cabs if the loco brakes were applied but you could change cabs if the train brakes were on, and I have tested the same on OR but still, not possible, that warning always shows up saying I can't change the cabs.

#10 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostPA1930, on 17 December 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

Locos are on this page: http://www.comboios....=category&id=25
CP Sorefame cars are here: http://www.comboios....=category&id=28

Brakes should make no difference.

The Reverse Cabs feature is not available yet and any rv.cvf files are currently ignored by OR. I'm working on providing that right now and it looks promising.

However, you should be able to cycle round the forward-facing cabs in your consist using the current version of OR. I've downloaded the two locos and will try them out later this week.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users