#31 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hi BenDragon,

BenDragon1337, on 26 November 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

I third this, as good as it is to have an ORTS wish list thread, the fact it's a "wish list" at all presents a very broad subject containing many suggestions which might or might not enhance ORTS in a variety of ways, which makes it difficult for moderators to keep track of the suggestions made in this thread, including the good, the bad and the indifferent.

Yes, it is difficult to keep track especially with ET being such a busy forum. (Long may it remain so.)

To respond to you and to Markus_GE, we already have the Developing Features subforum which is "A forum for Open Rails Developers and users to work together to create new features."

Why not start more specific threads in that forum?

#32 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

Good idea actually - How does it come that I never really perceived that subforum is there?

Thanks for mentioning it :furious:

CHeers, Markus

#33 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

cjakeman, on 28 November 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

To respond to you and to Markus_GE, we already have the Developing Features subforum which is "A forum for Open Rails Developers and users to work together to create new features."

Why not start more specific threads in that forum?

Because only member of the Open Rails team can start a thread there.

The purpose was to give a forum to the OR team limited to those topics of which the OR team wanted/needed input. The discussion forum is a free-for-all and Marcus can start whatever thread he wants there.

#34 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

Genma Saotome, on 28 November 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Because only member of the Open Rails team can start a thread there.

The point I was trying to offer a better solution for is that this wishlist thread seems to become quite confusing and hard to backtrack, as one OpR Dev mentioned. My possible solution, as suggested in #196 was to add an OpR Subforum "OpenRails Wishlist Forum" to repalce this thread. New threads could be started there for adding wishes, a thread on ist own for each wish. As I have seen, threads can also be rated, so even the possibility to rate new ideas would be implemented, along with polls that might be done alongside posting new ideas.

I know I can post in the Discussion Forum, but I don´t think wishlist items belong there.

CHeers, Markus

#35 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

markus_GE, on 28 November 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

The point I was trying to offer a better solution for is that this wishlist thread seems to become quite confusing and hard to backtrack, as one OpR Dev mentioned. My possible solution, as suggested in #196 was to add an OpR Subforum "OpenRails Wishlist Forum" to replace this thread. New threads could be started there for adding wishes, a thread on ist own for each wish. As I have seen, threads can also be rated, so even the possibility to rate new ideas would be implemented, along with polls that might be done alongside posting new ideas.

I know I can post in the Discussion Forum, but I don´t think wishlist items belong there.

CHeers, Markus

All things considered I'm of the opinion we have the forums to cover the subjects. If you think the current wish list thread is too long, in a couple of days start "2013-12 ORTS" Wish List, followed a month later by "2014-01 ORTS Wishlist" and so on. New wishes go into that month's thread, continued discussion into whatever thread the idea first appeared.

#36 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

My wish is that we are able to represent timetable / train order operations on unsignalled routes. If only we could say, 'proceed to place X and wait for train Y'. Perhaps Santa will deliver...

#37 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:51 PM

Genma Saotome, on 28 November 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

The purpose was to give a forum to the OR team limited to those topics of which the OR team wanted/needed input. The discussion forum is a free-for-all and Marcus can start whatever thread he wants there.

Thanks for clearing that up, Dave. I should have remembered.

#38 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:49 AM

That´s, of course, another Option. Not so orderly, though, but why not :pleasantry: Will do when I next have a wish to add.

Cheers, Markus

#39 User is offline   BenDragon1337 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

Genma Saotome, on 28 November 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

All things considered I'm of the opinion we have the forums to cover the subjects. If you think the current wish list thread is too long, in a couple of days start "2013-12 ORTS" Wish List, followed a month later by "2014-01 ORTS Wishlist" and so on. New wishes go into that month's thread, continued discussion into whatever thread the idea first appeared.
I have a feeling that it would still be confusing, there needs to be an entry or start post covering everything inserted by other users from page to page, a "contents" post, if you'd like, with a link to every topic suggested within the post itself, for clarity.

Or am I thinking a little too deeply?

#40 User is offline   wacampbell 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Group: Fan: Traction Nuts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

Now we are cluttering the wishlist thread with a meta discussion about how to operate a wishlist thread. hmmm irony perhaps? :-)

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users