• You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS Wish List - 2013-11 Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:31 AM

Genma Saotome, on 19 November 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

I disagree... but I don't have the time to hash it out right now. I do think a half-way decent Use Case would be a worthwhile endeavor: What does the conductor need to see and when? What does the brakeman need to see and when? The engineer? The activity builder (no reason why non-players should be ignored)? It is my opinion that each role has a need for its own set of cameras along with a thin gui display of appropriate commands.

I would really like it if, when you do have time, you could try and pin down some of the specifics here in a new thread. What is the full list of roles you envisage? Which cameras would be specific to a role?

The reason I ask is that, whenever I think about how we could do it, I don't see the roles that you mention. There's certainly a few different "modes" of play I've seen - passenger, freight, shunting come to mind - but not conductor, brakeman, etc., so I'd like to know where exactly you're coming from.

#12 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

Being as the thrust of this thread is towards multiplayer, having different "roles" to play is heading into Run8 territory and definitely for the future, post v1. While there would be a need for keysets for each defined role in multiplayer, the single player should not be left out in the cold and should also have access to these role keysets and camera views while running an activity.

#13 User is offline   BenDragon1337 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

Would this be generally "good" for the well-being of the sim, taking into account the ethnic impact?

I think with the ethnic characteristics of Open Rails, Multi Player right down to its MSTS roots, in conjunction with my interactive industries concept as well as the overall popularity of the sim (I have no real statistics on this, but taking into account that I don't see anyone screaming about Open Rails as the up-and coming titan of the train sims, sorry devs).

I generally think that the "dipspatcher" addition was a big enough jump to take to modifying MSTS as I don't think it was implemented as well as it could have been done. (AKA: there's no "memory" which remembers which setting for which IP address, so when someone rejoins, their "dispatcher's assistance" resets, which is a pain).

I just don't think it's a good idea to implement with OR being as it is, taking into account its current conditions and roots.

It's a good idea, and I'd generally support it if it was an option to have it enabled in multiplayer and not mandatory so people could use the option if they wanted to or not.

#14 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

I very much second BenDragon1337´s idea to have it as an Option.

Different roles (ie, as far as have understood it, e.g engineer, conductor, brakeman, ...) would, however, be a great Addition, also in single Player mode. Have you never had the urge to just put your feet up on the table when running a passenger Train, lean bakc and enjoy the countryside passing by as a passenger from that cool ATSF Superdome model you have downloaded? ;)

The other role, however, would have to be taken over by the Computer, very much like the automatic fireman already does it on the Steamers. Well, only of course, if they are active roles - opposite to passive, which would, e.g. be the conuctor on a modern freight in single Player mode (who could he talk with via Radio in single Player mode=), or the passenger role in General).

I like the idea, in General, though :)

Cheers, Markus

#15 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

markus_GE, on 20 November 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

The other role, however, would have to be taken over by the Computer, very much like the automatic fireman already does it on the Steamers. Well, only of course, if they are active roles - opposite to passive, which would, e.g. be the conuctor on a modern freight in single Player mode (who could he talk with via Radio in single Player mode=), or the passenger role in General).

I'd certainly back the ability to have AI take over the player train; it could be useful for demos, too. (There are a variety of ways this could be done.)

#16 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

I don´t only mean AI taking over the Player Train as an engineer. If the role as brakeman was ever to be introduced, e.g., also that would Need to be somehow covered. Of course, it would all be handled by one AI engine, as far as I can imagine, but wouldn´t that role, for example, be needed to be handled too?

Cheers, Markus

#17 User is offline   JorD1 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

I hate the way to navigate in freeview (8) by using the Page Up key.
Would it be possible to "jump" to an x,y value by right clicking somewhere. OMSI does this, and it works very handy.
Also scroll zoom could maybe be a bit faster.

#18 User is offline   JTang 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

JorD1, on 22 November 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

I hate the way to navigate in freeview (8) by using the Page Up key.
Would it be possible to "jump" to an x,y value by right clicking somewhere. OMSI does this, and it works very handy.
Also scroll zoom could maybe be a bit faster.

You can open the dispatcher window, click on a signal or a switch, then use "Ctrl-Alt-G" to jump to that location.

#19 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

Also Trainz uses this Feature to just click somewhere in the 3D world and jump there immediately (well, sort of fly there, as it´s not an abrupt but a smoothed movement to the specified Location within some 2 seconds, maybe).

Would really like to see this implemented too, as it would also help facilitate activity Debugging, screencap taking and so on :discuss_gathering:

CHeers, Markus

#20 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

This thread seems to have been taken over by multiplayer issues. Originally for ORTS Wish list ... multiplayer is only one wish among many proposed, it is important and a significant development in gaming but not the original purpose of this thread. I think we need a completely new ORTS Wish list thread that is subdivided into these parts General ORTS wish list-- categories as needed, Multiplayer Issues/Wish List, Toolset Ideas -- perhaps subdivided into Activity Construction (or editor to use MSTS terms), Route Construction, and CabViews (there will be a demand for HD Cabviews). Please don't forget the individual players. I am sure the development team communicates amongst themselves, but public input in all areas is important. Cheers, rhs (aka gerry)

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users