• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interesting short trains I like 'em! Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   inflammable 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Sure! Passenger trains count! How many people does it take to justify the cost of a train? And how long with the train run without that many people?

Would those be considered freight locomotives or passenger locomotives? I'm wondering if those two coaches had electricity supplied to them.

James

#22 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Well, honestly, about how much passengers it would need to justify the costs, I can't tell really... I don't know about it. That group used even to "rent" the VIP car, but one is supposed to be either demolished or modified to either a 1st or 2nd class car. :/

Those two locos, both from the same series (CP 5600) are basically divided to the passenger long distance group (currently from CP 5601 to CP 5620, although on the 21st, CP 5613 had an accident with some EMU and its still uncertain if it will run again or not) and the remaining 9 for the cargo group. (9 because 5624 has been demolished after colliding with an MLW CP 1550 some years ago). And yes, the ones that work with passenger trains (including the one from the photo with the special 2 passenger car-long) have electric supply for the cars. :fiesta:

#23 User is offline   inflammable 

• Engineer

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

I wasn't able to get a photograph, but last night I saw an interesting short train. Two NS GE's, and maybe a half dozen autoracks. They were headed north, and I presume it was a transfer from the medium classification yard down in Danville, KY, up to the Toyota yard up in Georgetown, KY.

Danville used to be a meeting place of districts, as there's a mainline to Louisville, KY, northwest of Danville, towards Chicago, as well as the mainline to Cincinnati, OH, north of Danville, which funnel traffic down to Chattanooga, TN. The districts were changed recently, to a common meeting place in the middle of nowhere, halfway between Danville and Chattanooga. There are now several medium or small yards in the area, for the industries in a given place. The yard up in Georgetown was built along with the Toyota plant, and the local traffic, which used to be based on out of Lexington (between Danville and Georgetown) is slowly being shifted to Georgetown.

The Georgetown Toyota plant is one of several places building North American Camry's, as well as all of the Venza, and all of the Avalon. They used to built Solara, and a couple other things.

But anyway, a 6 car train of autoracks is a little interesting.

James

#24 User is offline   inflammable 

• Engineer

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/8/6/0/5860.1360734619.jpg
Photo by Jon Sesonske
Railpictures Page

What a shot! Whew!

What a train! The Saratoga and North Creek Railway recently started up as a passenger railroad, and evidently are gaining some freight revenue one car at a time. This train is apparently former Delaware and Hudson track.

James

#25 User is offline   inflammable 

• Engineer

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Buckingham Branch Wood Chip Train

A three car woodchip train! With a caboose no less!

This is probably worth 12 truckloads, and the cost is probably close to the trucking cost. It's good that they were able to get this little bit of business back to rail. Little contracts always have a chance to turn into big contracts...

Woodchips are one of my favorite commodities. The Southern Railway branch line through my home town connected several chip mills with a papermill, so quite a few of my early railroad memories involved the sight and smell of woodchips (and pulpwood)!

James

#26 User is offline   inflammable 

• Engineer

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures%5C89812%5C006.JPG

Photo by Bill Godby.

RRPictureArchives Link

This one is from the Ashland Railway in Ohio.

The way the bushes are so close to the track. The way the ties seem to be buried, and the rails are lying on the ground. There's almost no extra height to the track at all.

I love a shortline!

James

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users