• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails Computer Specs Rate Topic: -----

#21 Inactive_nyc01_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:51 AM

View PostLindsayts, on 04 October 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

In Australia I found little difference in price of a MB/CPU combo between equivelant spec Z77 or X79 system, the price difference being less than 5% of the total cost. The X79 does require 4 memory sticks to gain maximum performance but with the current price of memory this for me was a non-issue.

Here in the US it's a little different with Z77 and Ivy Bridge being considered the best bang for the buck.

In all my new systems no matter if they are total new (very rare for me) or an upgrade I have always done an extensive before and after performance test and I have found the differences bewtween systems is never as great as has been made out. Overall intergration of the system and the way it is set up being just as important.

I can't say the same, with the exception these two i7 setups I'm running now I was making upgrades almost every other year. Going from two Intel Core 2 based systems to the i7 as far as performance is concerned was a significant jump with most of the sims/games I run. Again the health of the operating system and what operating system you use has a lot to do with it. All the hardware in the world isn't going to do you much good if you're crippling it with a poorly running OS.

GPU performance is becoming more important then the CPU with the sims/games I'm running but hopefully Intel's upcoming Haswell architecture will provide a significant jump over the already excellent performance I'm seeing with my current i7 setups.

One thing I will need to make clear here my main operating system is Linux and has been now since kernel 0.96D (around 20 years ago) current kernel being 3.4.4. Windows only being used for MSTS and OpenRails. All performance testing and system tuning being done in and to suit Linux.

Linux is my first choice also and for running office programs, email and internet it's what I primarily use, it's fast, cheap and secure. I only use Windows for running sims/games with the exception of X-Plane which I run on 64-bit Linux. With the exception of X-Plane I don't have any applications that come any where close to taxing a system like some of the sims/games I run on Windows.

What exactly are you using for performance testing in Linux?

A second point it seems to me from looking at games my friends play and reviews of such on line a lot of effort is being put into "eye candy", large scale use of multiple texture layers and fancy lighting

As it should because it sells. There's no reason why a simulation game can't have good graphics. I've used professional training simulators at work and smooth/fluid game play with good eye candy is just as important as accurate physics if you want an immersive experience.

I also know of at least two simulation game titles that are focusing on very accurate physics along with up to date DirectX 11 graphics, so yes it can be done if you have the resources.

it is clear train sims are heading in the direction of high number of high poly count objects. These two things (textures V high detail) puts quite a different strain on the system.

I didn't think train sims were heading anywhere, that's why we are here talking about OpenRails isn't, lol. It's also the reason why we've become used to train games with poor performance and lousy graphics. They only appeal to a very small audience, hence the reason why they've always been low-budget productions based on grossly outdated rendering/game engines.

#22 User is offline   Hobo 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OPEN RAILS & MSTS

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

You fellas are all talkin' about high end stuff but you can run OR and MSTS - quite comfortably without spending a whole lot of money . I've built quite a few very good machines that run all Train Simulators and are very acceptable for everyday use and The guys don't need to win the lottery .
All depends on the Users finances - we don't all have a couple of grand to blow on a PC .
Think about AMD with integrated GPU .
Just a thought !

#23 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

View Postnyc01, on 04 October 2012 - 05:51 AM, said:

Linux is my first choice also and for running office programs, email and internet it's what I primarily use, it's fast, cheap and secure. I only use Windows for running sims/games with the exception of X-Plane which I run on 64-bit Linux. With the exception of X-Plane I don't have any applications that come any where close to taxing a system like some of the sims/games I run on Windows.

What exactly are you using for performance testing in Linux?

A compile of the Linux kernel, I have tried a good number of ways and a kernel compile is as good a stress test of the CPU and MB as one can get.
This test is best described as a relative performance test as the kernel and the config used on ones PC's will change over time (Note , I configure and compile my own kernels). Due to the relative nature one MUST do before and after tests using the same kernel config.

As it should because it sells. There's no reason why a simulation game can't have good graphics. I've used professional training simulators at work and smooth/fluid game play with good eye candy is just as important as accurate physics if you want an immersive experience.

I also know of at least two simulation game titles that are focusing on very accurate physics along with up to date DirectX 11 graphics, so yes it can be done if you have the resources.

Eye candy V good game play is a subjective issue, I way prefer in a train sim accurate routes and performing equipment much more than fancy looking items that behave incorrectly.

Just an opinion mind one.

I didn't think train sims were heading anywhere, that's why we are here talking about OpenRails isn't, lol. It's also the reason why we've become used to train games with poor performance and lousy graphics. They only appeal to a very small audience, hence the reason why they've always been low-budget productions based on grossly outdated rendering/game engines.

A small audience is not the real reason for low budgets on train sims. The major problem with train sims is that the majority of the people using them wish for a real railway. Train sims, well MSTS anyway is one of the only PC "games" that have a good number of professionals from the field using them. As a consequence most are looking for something that looks and behaves correctly. Unfortunately railways are VERY diffcult to simulate to this level or accuracy, requiring for the development a wide ranging understanding of enginneering, physics, railway operation, signalling and safe working AS WELL as being able to write a decent program. A combination of disiplines that is EXTREMELY rare in this day and age. This is one of the major reasons why trainsims have behaved realtively poorly.

Another reason for small audiences is the difficulty of developing any material for it, routes being a particular problem. It will NEVER be easy to do a route, one is effectivly constructing a whole world single handed. An indication of the scale of this issue is my favorite route is the late Alan Landsbourgh's "Adelaide hills and SE". This route contains something like 600 miles of main line including the entire 305 mile run from Adelaide to Mt Gambier. The level of accuracy in this route is amazing although the object count id not particularly high, Alan stated he spent 6000 hours on this route including making something over 1000 custom models for it.
While Alans route is an extreme example it does show the amount of drive and dedication is required in building items for a train sim. In this "ready made" world to few have the patience and possible shear pig headedness for such tasks.

Lindsay

#24 Inactive_nyc01_*

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 04 October 2012 - 07:26 PM, said:

A compile of the Linux kernel, I have tried a good number of ways and a kernel compile is as good a stress test of the CPU and MB as one can get.

Sounds interesting but it doesn't sound like anything that's going to stress the GPU and CPU though.

Eye candy V good game play is a subjective issue, I way prefer in a train sim accurate routes and performing equipment much more than fancy looking items that behave incorrectly.

No reason why you can't have both.

A small audience is not the real reason for low budgets on train sims.

A small audience equates to small/low profits and the train games we all know are proof of this. Everything we've seen from the last 12 years has pointed to a lack of development resources, hence the reason for the poorly written game engines that our current crop of train games are still using.

Train sims, well MSTS anyway is one of the only PC "games" that have a good number of professionals from the field using them.

Using MSTS for what other than entertainment? I don't know of any railroad professionals here in the US using MSTS if they are, in what capacity?

Unfortunately railways are VERY diffcult to simulate to this level or accuracy, requiring for the development a wide ranging understanding of enginneering, physics, railway operation, signalling and safe working AS WELL as being able to write a decent program. A combination of disiplines that is EXTREMELY rare in this day and age. This is one of the major reasons why trainsims have behaved realtively poorly.

I'm very well aware of the difficulties in creating an accurate training simulator having been involved in the development of one for the US railroad industry. Getting the physics (in-train forces) accurate and validated so that it can be used for actual training/recertification is one area of particular difficulty.

#25 Inactive_nyc01_*

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

View PostHobo, on 04 October 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

You fellas are all talkin' about high end stuff but you can run OR and MSTS - quite comfortably without spending a whole lot of money . I've built quite a few very good machines that run all Train Simulators and are very acceptable for everyday use and The guys don't need to win the lottery .

I guess quite comfortably for one person might not be the same for another.

I'm not comfortable with any sim/game unless I can run it at a consistent frame rate that matches the refresh rate of the monitor (in my case that's 60Hz/60fps). Combine that with the fact that I also crave good image quality, high resolution and high levels of AA.

As far as OpenRails is concerned for the most part I only run The Feather River Route which can get pretty demanding in spots if you're running it at 1920x1200 with 8x super-sampling AA.

#26 Inactive_nyc01_*

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 04 October 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

Which is the reason for this! :sweatingbullets:

You've got 1st dibs on both setups when Haswell comes out then, lol.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users