Elvas Tower: Modeling projects: Motive power - Elvas Tower

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Modeling projects: Motive power locomotives and related types... Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:30 AM

Unfortunately, the bro is far too busy doing his stuff on his computer this evening. I'll book time tomorrow.

Cheers Bazza

#12 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/ ORTS

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

Been working on shay 5 on and off. Recent work on her consisted of reworking some of the details including the headlight, some piping, whistle and bell, and textures. I also rebuilt the cab so now it has alpha channels that allow you to "See" into the cab. Some of the parts haven't been added to the hierarchy yet, these include the boiler piping and the newly made valve gear. In the Sim, it looks great. Need to some work in the ENG: Realign the smoke and make it have bigger output, the head light, the firebox light, the coupling points, and put the marker lights in.
BEFORE
Attached Image: runactivity 2011-10-23 17-37-23-54.jpg
AFTER
Attached Image: runactivity 2012-08-17 16-48_1.jpg
Attached Image: runactivity 2012-08-17 16-50_1.jpg
Attached Image: runactivity 2012-08-17 16-50_2.jpg
Attached Image: runactivity 2012-08-17 17-01.jpg
Attached Image: runactivity 2012-08-17 16-48.jpg
Attached Image: runactivity 2012-08-17 16-49.jpg
Attached Image: runactivity 2012-08-17 16-50.jpg
Attached Image: runactivity 2012-08-17 17-00_5 - Copy.jpg

#13 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

Great shots of a Shay, Shay. :sign_rockon:

I spat the dummy of crummy ATI cards and have ordered an Nvidia card. Fingers crossed it will solve the problem.

Cheers Bazza

#14 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

I thank WalterC, for his massive enthusiasim and for pointing me in the direction of the resource material I used.

Cheers Bazza

#15 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

Capt. Bazza and Eliot

Unlike you fella's. I'm not a perfectionist. I enjoy looking at your models and marvel at their detail. But for me to do that kind of thing would be like slowly going crazy. It would remind me of the old day's at work. The stress of making everything perfect and just right is just not my cub of tea anymore. Relaxation in retirement is number one these day's. And if I were to spend my time detailing a single model to the Nth I wouldn't have time to build all the ones I want to do yet. I will leave the super models to you boy's and I will just continue on with my old habits

My building medium or program is Train Sim Modeler. I have used this little program for over 10 years. Not a very sophisticated program, but it works. And any but the most simple projects require the use of PolyMaster to create sub groups and LOD's regardless of what you have heard. Other programs like Blender, 3DMax, Gmax, 3DCanvas and Sketshup may have that feature built in. In any case, PolyMaster won't work with those anyway. It was written for TSM.

I like to build models that look realistic. Not perfect little gems. But used and abused models that represent what I saw as a youngster. I have struggled with texture making from my earliest day's of 3D modeling. I'm not an artist by any sense of the word but my efforts of late have become quite satisfying. I work from side view drawing's and photo's. A few dimensions is all that I have normally. Very few!

This is a model of a B&O 6000 class 2-10-2 SantaFe type. The model is at just slightly less the 30,000 face's at the moment but will likely climb to 36,000 range. It's still lacking it's valve rigging or at least it's proper valve rigging. And there will be more piping and rear appurtanances. The tender is only partly finished and textured and will require several more hours work.

I'm including a shot of the E27CA Consolidation at the end to show you the intended finish for the 2-10-2.

Attached Image: 2-10-2CC.jpg
Attached Image: 2-10-2CC-1.jpg
Attached Image: 2-10-2CC-2.jpg
Attached Image: 2-10-2CC-3.jpg
Attached Image: 2-10-2TT.jpg
Attached Image: 2-10-2TT-1.jpg
Attached Image: 2-8-0SIM.jpg

I would like to add, the reason I am building for OR "only" almost exclusively now is because of it's simplicity in producing models. Textures look better, the colors are more vibrant and the shapes look ever so much better. Models are produced and no more UID this and UID that. The jitters are mostly gone (I couldn't tell if it was me or the sim), and the motions are smoother. I'm sold.

NUFF

Allen

#16 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

Thanks Cap'n. I'm hoping to figure out how to animate soon.

#17 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 17 August 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

Great shots of a Shay, Shay. :)

I spat the dummy of crummy ATI cards and have ordered an Nvidia card. Fingers crossed it will solve the problem.

Cheers Bazza

Would it be possible to someone else to reproduce the problem, I have three systems running OR, two have Radeon cards (a 4870, CPU Q8400 and a 5870, CPU I7 950) the third has an NVidia GTX 560 SOC (CPU I7 960). I cannot say i have recently seen any problems with OR on any of the systems.

#18 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

Hi'ya Lindsay,

I've been around computers and train simulators long enough to be totally cynical about them. You have great times and bad times, things tick along for a while, then suddenly you get bitten on the butt by something unexpected. I've given up ranting and raving over such problems and just muckle down and try and solve whatever's gone wrong this time.

My OS is XP SP3 and that is part of the problem, I think. Buying the nvidia card is a gamble, like everything else to do with spending on hardware for this hobby.

W7 will be a last resort.

However, ATM, the display problem has been fixed in OR (my particular experience), so I'm happy that current hurdle is resolved.

It seems you have the same approach as I do, go for a correct 'profile', then add such detail as to enhance that, then further detail as the sim permits. All part of the fun, I reckon.

Cheers Bazza

#19 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thanks. I have an EVGA card using Nvidia graphics and I've had no problem with it. Works great on my system. Another update. Added the rest of the piping to the hierarchy and did a complete repaint. Took me a while to get the right lighting effect on the textures. Now she has a much more crisper look. Next step is to head back in Gmax and continue adding the few more details I need. So far, so good. Hey Cap,n, am I posting this in the right place?
Attached Image: runactivity 2012-08-19 19-08.jpg
Attached Image: runactivity 2012-08-19 19-07_1.jpg
Attached Image: runactivity 2012-08-19 19-07.jpg
Attached Image: runactivity 2012-08-19 19-06.jpg
Attached Image: runactivity 2012-08-19 19-05_2.jpg
Attached Image: runactivity 2012-08-19 19-05.jpg

#20 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

I was looking at an EVGA card, but went for another brand due to the price factor (at this time it's convenient, whether it's a good decision, time alone will tell.) Should be delivered on Wednesday.

Cheers Bazza

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users