Elvas Tower: OR with a Steam (Valve) installation of MSTS - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OR with a Steam (Valve) installation of MSTS Rate Topic: -----

#1 Inactive_Inspector Fowler_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

Howdy all! My first post here - sorry for begging for help!

I have the Steam version of MSTS 12/Railworks 3. I have downloaded Open Rails and I'm trying to get it working with MSTS content.

Steam doesn't always install stuff in typical directories, though. In fact, even though it labels it as MSTS 12, it installs into Railworks folders.

I am trying to point Open Rails to the main folder, various sub folders, etc, but it never recognizes any of the content inside. Below is a screenshot of my installation. I know it's a little small but hopefully you can see the path at the top, and the folder structure inside.

So ultimately, my question is this: Will OR use MSTS content at all given the install path shown, and if so, where do I point OR? Those who use Steam know that it is very particular about its installs and I don't have another choice about where the files go, so this is what I'm stuck with.

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn351/InspectorFowler/SteamInstallofMSTS.jpg

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hi Wil,

The MSTS 12 you refer to is not, repeat not, Microsoft Train Simulator, but RSC's Train Simulator 2012. This is not compatible with Open Rails. MSTS has never been distributed via Steam.

An easy assumption to make, given how we oldies often refer to MSTS as 'Train Simulator'.

The Open Rails project has not yet reached the stage of being independent of an installation of MS Train Simulator....but some have found a way around that.......just ask for help here and I'm sure you'll be put right on that possibility.

Cheers Bazza

#3 Inactive_Inspector Fowler_*

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

Well, they also use the EXACT font that Microsoft has used for, I dunno, 20 years, to denote their Flight Simulator products...

Because the product has 2 separate titles, "Railworks 3" and "Train Simulator 2012", I assumed it was simply MS providing publishing support for Railworks under their own name. And also, the font thing :sweatingbullets:

Well, count one veteran gamer as having been 100% fooled. It doesn't mean I haven't had hours of fun with TS2012 - it's been fun. I just see the need for something like Open Rails quite badly, since there really isn't any reason for TS2012 to run so poorly.

Knowing that, I will tinker with OR anyway, and see what I can come up with. Thank you for the knowledge!

#4 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

RSC, as it's known today, was originally associated with the KUJU responsible for MSTS back in 2001, which they developed for Microsoft. There was to have been an update of the sim, MSTS2, but that was scrapped without warning well into the project and much later yet another all new version of MSTS2 (think FSX technology) was also cancelled and scrapped without warning a few years back. Do you see a trend here?

I have MSTS, Open Rails and TS2012 installed.

Cheers Bazza

#5 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

Rough history of Microsoft Train Simulator.
\
1998 (?) ~ 2001, in development by Kuju, a UK company, for Microsoft.
Sept 2001, boxed version 1.0 released.
2002 or 03, first official patch makes original 1.0 up to 1.2.
2004, approx, another boxed version, 1.4, includes patch, plus some additional rollingstock and locomotive. The latter was available for version 1.2 owners as another patch, to bring the installion up to 1.4.

2004 ~ 2005 approx, MSTS2 an further updated version, was announced, then cancelled well into development.

2008 approx, an all new MSTS2 was announced, based on the FSX graphics engine/world, later cancelled completely by MS and development studio ACEs closed by MS. With no further announcement of future development, the MS association with train simming was killed dead.

After the original MSTS 1.4 was in hiatus for a few years, Atari and Xplosion released plastic boxed versions of MSTS 1.4. After Xplosion disappeared from the scene no one know for sure what happened to the code or the rights for further distribution. Genuine versions of MSTS 1.4 or even 1.0 can sometimes be found for sale, either new, or secondhand.

I hope this timeline is of interest for historical purposes. LOL.

Cheers Bazza

#6 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

During the development of MSTS 1.0 a couple of short in-game video clips were released by Kuju. One of the clips showed a very brief glimpse of a steam locomotive that wasn't included in the release, or subsequent releases - the CITY OF NOTTINGHAM.

http://en.wikipedia....oronation_Class

...and to put MSTS history to rights, here is the Wikipedia entry for MSTS, note I was a year out on some dates. :sweatingbullets:

http://en.wikipedia....Train_Simulator

Cheers Bazza

#7 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

Inspector Fowler, on 19 July 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Well, count one veteran gamer as having been 100% fooled.

I'm sure you're not the only one. I was pretty astonished when I saw it myself, and I'm sure it's to lure people exactly as it did to you.

Welcome to the site, by the way. ;)

#8 Inactive_Inspector Fowler_*

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the info, guys.

I even called my wife into the room. I showed her the box art on an Amazon copy of MSTS and compared it to the "cover" image for Railworks 3, and she totally understood why I have been confused for months.

I figured it was just a publishing /licensing deal, but oh well. It runs poorly sometimes, even on a pretty well equipped system, but it is still pretty fun. Plus, thanks to this board, I found out about the Durango Silverton route from G-Trax!

#9 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

Yeah, sorry Wil, forgot to say, 'welcome to ET'.

No worries about the wrong assumption re names, train simming is like that, you need a robust sense of humour in order to cope.

I used to :good: and become :D
but now I'm :angel:
especially after a few of these :drinks:
and some how :diablo: seems more like :fiesta:
until the next :oldstry: happens
in which case more :cheers3:
makes life more :I-Agree: +able.

Cheers Bazza

#10 User is offline   Jovet 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS/Open Rails

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

captain_bazza, on 20 July 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

No worries about the wrong assumption re names, train simming is like that, you need a robust sense of humour in order to cope.

Ain't that the truth!! Losing some air to laughter is better than losing one's hair...

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users