• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Consists don't show up Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/ ORTS

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

When I try to make a consist, either with AE, convoi, or conbuilder, The newly made consists don't show up in OR or in the consists folder. But, get this, the new consists show up and run fine in MSTS. Can anyone explain this??? :scarerun: Where are the "HIDDEN" consists? How can they run in MSTS if they are not in the consists folder? This is absolutely nuts!

#2 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Shay5

Make sure you put some kind of description in the second field of Conbuilder or any of the other programs your using. And whatever you put in that field is what will show up for consists in OR.

Attached Image: Conbuilder.jpg

Allen

#3 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:55 AM

I do that on all three of the Consist editors. still no luck.

#4 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

Are you using mini-routes?

Allen

#5 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

Shay5,

If you happen to be using Windows 7 or Vista with MSTS in the default location, UAC doesn't allow programs to write files into the "Program Files (x86)" folder. Instead, Windows will redirect the file to another (buried and hidden) location. MSTS doesn't know the difference; it thinks the files are in the same location. However, since OR is looking at the program files for a different program, Windows doesn't know to "show" it the file at the hidden location.

Your consist files are usually found here (you might need to set folder options to show hidden files and folders):
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\Trains\Consists

I usually just cut and paste the files back into the main MSTS consists directory, with the rest of the consists. That way, OR can read the consists properly.

Hopefully this helps (and I didn't get too wordy or technical!) :scarerun:

#6 User is offline   Alexey_Soljenitchev 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:MSTS, OR

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

I found that switching from the "modern" GUI to the classic GUI of OR helps alot. Also, sometimes paths or consists do not show up at all, and then, after a restart of OR, they suddenly do, without any further changes made.

#7 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

paulytechnic, on 07 March 2012 - 07:43 AM, said:

Shay5,

If you happen to be using Windows 7 or Vista with MSTS in the default location, UAC doesn't allow programs to write files into the "Program Files (x86)" folder. Instead, Windows will redirect the file to another (buried and hidden) location. MSTS doesn't know the difference; it thinks the files are in the same location. However, since OR is looking at the program files for a different program, Windows doesn't know to "show" it the file at the hidden location.

Your consist files are usually found here (you might need to set folder options to show hidden files and folders):
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\Trains\Consists

I usually just cut and paste the files back into the main MSTS consists directory, with the rest of the consists. That way, OR can read the consists properly.

Hopefully this helps (and I didn't get too wordy or technical!) :crazy:

Bingo, Man. You nailed it. :scarerun: Thanks a lot. Now How do I fix it so it saves to the main consists folder?

#8 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

Shay 5, on 07 March 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

Bingo, Man. You nailed it. :scarerun: Thanks a lot. Now How do I fix it so it saves to the main consists folder?

Glad that worked! :crazy: I'm not really sure if it's possible to disable the virtual store in Windows (I'm guessing that it probably is, but I haven't run across a method yet). In hindsight, I probably should have installed MSTS in a location other than Program Files (which supposedly would prevent the problem from occurring).

What I have done (which made things much easier for me) was to create a shortcut to the virtual store and place it in the normal MSTS folder. That way I could easily switch to the hidden files while tinkering with MSTS under the hood.

#9 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

What if I put the MSTS folder in Program files, not x86 P.F. Would that be better?

#10 User is offline   paulytechnic 

• Conductor

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:06 AM

Shay 5, on 07 March 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

What if I put the MSTS folder in Program files, not x86 P.F. Would that be better?

Probably not, since Windows reserves Program Files for 64-bit applications only, and it also uses the virtual store for that folder as well. If you're planning to move MSTS at all, it's probably best to keep it out of any Program Files folder entirely. There's some good info on the subject here: http://msts.steam4me...ng_msts_w7.html. It recommends installing MSTS to a folder in the root C:\ drive (or whatever other drive letter).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users