• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I'm Back! A 4096 Terrtex shot Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

Plain old fashioned MSTS, haven't gotten OR on the new computer yet, just got MSTS installed less than 48 hours ago, after 16 months of being without. I want to get things like ScaleRail, etc., updated before I get OR going again. The thing that makes them look so different is 4096 x 4096 terrtex textures and some of the trees are using 1024's. It's amazing what you can do on the ground when 1 pixel = about 2". I did have to make a much finer microtex, so it wouldn't obscure the details though!

Steve

#22 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

16 months without MSTS? Gee, I nearly went a week when my lappy died, and couldn't take it much more than that!

Now what would FPS be like on these 4096 things? Be nice to see some moving video's done on it.

#23 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

Frame Rates??? If you look at the first picture in this thread, you'll see in the lower right corner 58 fps. This is with everything maxed including dynamic shadows. The tile is 1 of 2 in a row that are 4096s and they are surrounded by 2048s and another 4096 beyond. The train is pretty short but highly detailed with Jon Davis' unreleased (as far as I know) 2-4-4-2 Skookum and 10 of Tim's NP skeleton flats. There are lots of big trees and forest objects all around as well. I bumped all the fancy settings up on the video card, anti alias, etc. and it dropped the mid 40's in places. In the 5 miles of main line, all the tiles with track are at least 2048's and the surroundings are all 1024's.

On my old computer 6 years old, 128Mb video RAM, with things scaled back and no shadows, 9-13 fps and in OR, BAD, WORSE, AWFUL -30 YES thats MINUS. It just plain stalled at the edge of the 4096's. I haven't installed it yet, but expect good results now that I have a much better system and video card.

The attached image is of the mil pond, early on. It also is a 4096 and is totally painted on. Of course it's been since summer 2010 since I've been able to work on this, although I did get somewhat farther along than in the picture.

Steve

Attached Image: logpondtrack6-20-2.jpg

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: logpond6-20-2.jpg

#24 User is offline   timmuir 

• Member since Nov. 2003
  • Simulator:Open Rails Only

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

Steve, did you use Mosaic with the 2048, or even the 4096 tiles? I don't remember if you did or had any problems using it. I love the pond terrtex and would like to have something similar on my NP Logging branch. But it would probably choke my contraption.

#25 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

Mosaic? Well... sort of. It would show black tiles in the overview, where large ones were, I can't remember if it showed 2048s or not, I'm sure it didn't like the larger one! I took screenshots of the track layouts to use as a layer, enlarged to fit, when doing the yard ballast and along the track.

Maybe it will work better on this machine, on the other hand, I don't know if it will work with Win7. We'll see when I get around to it. I still don't have the NP F-1 on the route, or in the trains folder yet, so Mosaic is down the road a piece.

Steve

#26 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

I recently had my encounter with Win 7 and also found it to be rather friendly. Being an XP man exclusively, if I had to change, Win 7 isn't all that bad. It is quit similar, as a matter of fact.
I'm not looking forward to it but, if I had to, I could adjust. (I might have to one day... :wtf01: )

:lol:

#27 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

I'm at it again, although I have to get back to money making work all next week. I want some BIG trees, big enough to match the loads on Tim's NP skeletons and typical of the Pacific Northwest forests up till about 1950. This is a fir tree and I made both 512 and 1024 aces to see how they differed in the sim. The tree is roughly 200' high. It uses a modified cruciform shape that Rick Grout made for me.

Attached Image: rayonier 120  big firs.jpg

This shows the difference nicely, the 1024 is much better close to the tracks. The blurry trees in the background are from a Forest object that has a 256 ace. I have my default terrtex still in this area, so the ground is...

Attached Image: 512 and 1024  big firs.jpg

Steve

#28 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

Very nice. Love those trees!

#29 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/ ORTS

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:21 AM

I have to say, I love Windows 7. I just recently fixed an issue that had been plaguing me ever since December, The infamous BSOD(aka Blue Screen Of Death). I couldn't transfer any of my files without a BSOD. After a struggle of one month, I got it fixed. The ram(4gig) failed. So I got some new ram and fixed the issue. That's why I have been absent for a while. Now, I'm back with twice the amount of ram I had before.(8gig now) :wtf01: I'm flying now. Welcome back, Steve. :blush:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users