• You cannot reply to this topic

0.7 bug with combined throttle Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORNYMG

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

I have tested the sd40 type control stand for power and dynamic brakes ok.

With a combined throttle, (sd70 and dash 9) if you just power its ok, but when you go to dynamics, going to on then back to power is ok.
But when I go to dynamic B1, none of the controls will respond any further.

Cheers

#2 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:05 AM

Please make sure you have "turned off" dynamic brakes. Go one more notch past "0%" until Dynamic Braking line shows nothing.

#3 User is offline   BillC 

• Conductor
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:45 AM

View Postengmod, on 11 December 2011 - 10:42 PM, said:

With a combined throttle, (sd70 and dash 9) if you just power its ok, but when you go to dynamics, going to on then back to power is ok.

Cheers

What route and distribution ?

I have seen a problem with 3d trains dash 9 engine file, brakes and steps do not match.

Do we have code protect against the hang up, or fix the engine file ?

Bill

#4 Inactive_Turbo Bill_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

I think we should include a disclaimer on some points and that is that it's up to the end user to make sure his eng/wag files are in order. Plainsman and I have gone thru great lengths to provide the correct entries to the eng/wag file so that these errors are corrected. Route riter will fix a lot of eng file mistakes and Route'riter will replace close to all parameters in the wag file. I have written a tutorial on how to bring your locomotives and rollingstock out of the dark ages of incorrections in these files. I say leave the code at the protect stage. We have enough work ahead of us without having OR be a babysitter and fix everybodys screwed up files that they won't take the time to learn and apply themselves. Also this sim is getting big on resources to where I went from 60fps in early builds to single digits in v-883. I don't think it's our job to "fix" the end user's MSTS files as we have discussed in other threads that we don't want OR messing with these files but rather use these files in accordance with the OR file system.

#5 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

View Postengmod, on 11 December 2011 - 10:42 PM, said:

Cheers

Where are the models from (SD70 and DASH 9)? Are they available for download somewhere?

#6 Inactive_Turbo Bill_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:00 AM

Also had a thought on the whole errors issue. Can OR be set up or does it have a way to print out the errors it finds like Conbuilder does. I see the list of problems it finds in various files in the DOS window but I can't remember those for more than 2-3 seconds at most. If I had a text document that I could reference or print out I would have a very useful tool in fixing errors I didn't know was there.

#7 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

View PostTurbo Bill, on 12 December 2011 - 11:00 AM, said:

Also had a thought on the whole errors issue. Can OR be set up or does it have a way to print out the errors it finds like Conbuilder does. I see the list of problems it finds in various files in the DOS window but I can't remember those for more than 2-3 seconds at most. If I had a text document that I could reference or print out I would have a very useful tool in fixing errors I didn't know was there.

OpenRailsLog.txt on your desktop will (unless you fiddle with hidden settings) always contain the complete log of the last time you ran an activity or explore route.

#8 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:20 PM

View PostTurbo Bill, on 12 December 2011 - 10:14 AM, said:

I think we should include a disclaimer on some points and that is that it's up to the end user to make sure his eng/wag files are in order. Plainsman and I have gone thru great lengths to provide the correct entries to the eng/wag file so that these errors are corrected. Route riter will fix a lot of eng file mistakes and Route'riter will replace close to all parameters in the wag file. I have written a tutorial on how to bring your locomotives and rollingstock out of the dark ages of incorrections in these files. I say leave the code at the protect stage. We have enough work ahead of us without having OR be a babysitter and fix everybodys screwed up files that they won't take the time to learn and apply themselves. Also this sim is getting big on resources to where I went from 60fps in early builds to single digits in v-883. I don't think it's our job to "fix" the end user's MSTS files as we have discussed in other threads that we don't want OR messing with these files but rather use these files in accordance with the OR file system.

I agree with the idea behind this post, the problem with eng files though is a large section of the population do not have the technical understanding to create a "correct" eng file. It is clear for instance that even the difference between power and tractive effort is not understood by many. How we get around this problem I do not know, see below.

"Just in case"!! I have long had an interest in the peformance including braking of rail vehicles and because of this (as of today) I have effectively rewriten all eng files of the rail vehicles I normally drive. Unfortunately 80 percent of these locos are on a restricted licnce that prevents redistibution of any portion of the package, this situation being in my opinion completely not understandable, that someone with the knowledge cannot redistribute corrections. I have talked this point over with some interlectual property rights people showing them the documentation concerned and they said there is little I could do.

Lindsay

#9 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

View PostBillC, on 12 December 2011 - 08:45 AM, said:

What route and distribution ?

I have seen a problem with 3d trains dash 9 engine file, brakes and steps do not match.

Do we have code protect against the hang up, or fix the engine file ?

Bill

You may have hit the nail on the head, both the sd70 and dash 9 were 3DTrains engines, I will test others.

Cheers

#10 User is offline   engmod 

• Open Rails Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

View PostTurbo Bill, on 12 December 2011 - 10:14 AM, said:

I have written a tutorial on how to bring your locomotives and rolling stock out of the dark ages of incorrections in these files.

Hi Bill,

Can you point me to that tutorial please, then I can check my system.

Cheers

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users