• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What about a turntable? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:03 PM

Will OR finally bring us that long illusive operating turntable?

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

I guess that as long as OR is tied to MSTS routes there won't be one. Where it comes in the scheme of OR's future features I think it is too early to say....but it wont be until OR has it's own track system coded.

Cheers Bazza

#3 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

I think operating turntables may actually come to MSTS at some point first. A couple of folks I know are toiling with extracting crossing gate animation, rotating it, and applying it to turntable models that really work. I've even proposed theories on opertional lift and draw bridges for MSTS. Making the 'invisible track' section, modeling the bridge with a comparable integrated 'dummy section' , placing buried track under the river, and increasing interactive distances for unique signals.... That's for someone else to do. But i think it could be theoretically possible. Turntables a little more tricky. But even using say a 'Hazard Object' like the fuel loader and working that animation into a turntable and slowing it down could be just the ticket too? BUT - I don't think in either MSTS or Open Rails one will ever get more than 1 stall selection with it. Anything more would just be a TDB, Tsection, et al nightmare I'm sure.

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:56 PM

I suspect doing a turntable in OR would not be difficult but should such a feature be created it couldn't be part of any activity w/o OR also providing a new activity editor.

#5 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

I guess that's the trouble with things being backward compatible, you still have to deal with some of the original problems. At least we still have all that great MSTS content with a ( better) engine behind it. Or at least one that is getting better.

#6 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:54 AM

I'm not sure Dave? I think one could still make act's in MSTS as well as OR if these theories hold true. I think it would be up to how invisible track is made and laid. I think for lift/draw bridges it would be relatively easy, as there would be a constant line visible in AE still. Turntables couldn't allow for a good end point through them unless a 'invisible 3 way switch' was fashioned. But then I imagine the syncing of turntable animation to coincide with the hidden switch would look cheesy at best. It would be a lot of work and revamping to Tsection et al for a two second grin and a 'neat' comment. Now as a 'static model' with live or dummy tracks to it, that be would easy I imagine for MSTS and OR. A shame that Dieter Penzel had to pass away, as he did some nice animated turntables.
http://www.thetrain....rea/ddrebr44dr/ The big question is how easy it would be to swap the .S portion of the DB engine and insert a static Mikado or something on it? But I think something like this might be 'as good a it get's' for MSTS and OR, realistically speaking. :thumbdown3: I think all other operational attempts may look realistic, but couldn't be accommodated in AE other than Explore Mode in MSTS and OR. Or, go through painstaking implementations for something that hurks and jerks in a very unrealistic way.
Either way, too much work for not enough use really. Now lift/draw bridges - that could be more useful and rewarding. :jawdrop2:

#7 User is offline   emufarmer 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Open Rail and MSTS

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:00 AM

Making the 'invisible track' section, modeling the bridge with a comparable integrated 'dummy section'

There is a Invisible piece of "I1t20mStrt" track in X Tracks V3.20, I have modeled a Rusty Steel Lift Bridge for a WIP Route in the UK using this piece of Track, this Bridge is Water Ballast controlled in real life with a Large Water Tank over the Tracks and it rolls back on a Track to open when the Tank is filled with Water , I have it Animated and working as a Level Crossing, Hoping to get some Red and Green working Lights on it sometime

Frank

#8 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

Leave it to Frank to have already tackled it. :rotfl: I thought there was some 'invisibles' in X Tracks, but only the 20m piece? A shame that a 100m or more section isn't offered too. A chap I know wanted to tackle the Burlington Lift Bridge here in southern Ontario, and I think it's 200m or more long. Be much easier on FPS and all to have say two 100m invisible sections on it as opposed to ten or more 20m sections. Is there invisible DynTrack as well in X Tracks?

But good to know my theory wasn't to far off. And your the man to put it into practice for sure Frank! :pleasantry:

#9 User is offline   charlie 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:18 AM

View PostNoisemaker, on 07 November 2011 - 08:45 AM, said:

Is there invisible DynTrack as well in X Tracks?

Nothing in Xtracks other than what you've seen already. However there is a track profile that I wrote for Dynatrax that will make dynamic track invisible. The profile is aimed at dual gauge track use, but it will work anywhere...

How Dynatrax works. As mentioned, the invisible profile is demonstrated in the dual gauge part.
http://www.trainsim....153377#poststop

Download the three thingies listed here.
http://www.elvastowe...dpost__p__74940

The profile you need is "Narrow_Dual_Invis.profile", and it's in the ng-dytrx.zip.

regards,
charlie

#10 User is offline   Noisemaker 

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:42 PM

Good to know Charlie. Amd nice work on those dual gauge tracks as well. They almost look like high speed line 'braced tracks'.. You ever thought about doing those?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users