• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Smoking Tender! Using Bazza's K27 460 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gman347 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

After finding this site I now visit it daily and love it.

After reading about OR in this forum I decided to give it a try and installed it. I have Version 0.6.1.677. I am still a relative newbie so I am bouncing between the two programs to compare how they work.

I am a narrow gauge fan and had installed the Capn's Mikado into MSTS. I love this engine! It is a beautiful piece of work. Well, when I started OR and loaded this engine I found that the tender is showing smoke just like to loco! I am guessing that this has simething to do with the fact that the tender is identified like a loco in the consist. I am wondering if there is any way to turn off the smoke from the tender? It's a little distracting!!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. ;)

#2 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/ ORTS

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:21 AM

Hmm, the tender has a ENG(engine) file instead of a WAG(wagon) file. ODD. I'm sure you can carefully delete the smoke section in the ENG file. I don't know how to do that though.

#3 User is offline   Gman347 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

Actually it's not reallly that ODD. The Cap'n clearly explains in the documentation that the tender is treated like an engine to allow it to shake as it moves along the track with his "BazzaMotion". It's a neat feature. I was thinking about editing the .eng file but there are several places where smoke is mentioned and I don't know which is the appropriate one to change. I guess I could make a back-up copy of the .eng file and then just "Have At IT". The editing can be done with Notepad.

Thanks for the suggestion.

#4 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS/ ORTS

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:05 PM

No problem. Makes sense though. I would do that. always backup a file before editing. Interesting thing though, the smoke doesn't show in msts.

#5 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:08 AM

You may, if you wish, change it to a WAG file. I found that in OR the tender will still exhibit ((BM)) and there will be no smoke. The reason for smoke appearing in OR and not in MSTS, is down to a generic smoke emission at is not controlled by the smoke settings in the ENG.....the smoke emission appears irrespective of the ENG settings, even when all perameters are zero'd.

Cheers Bazza

#6 User is offline   Gman347 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

Thank You Captain B) I will try the change in the consist. Let me take this opportunity to tell you how much I love this model. You have built a truly magnificent Mudhen. I have been a fan of Colorado Narrow Gauge for decades. When I stumbled on some screenshots of MSTS Colorado routes I finally took the software off the shelf, installed it and started searching for appropriate downloads. To my good fortune that's when I found Elvas Tower. Know that your efforts, and the others who have posted some really great models, are very much appreciated! :fyou2: I am forever in your debt.

My only other question is what do I do to contain myself until Herb releases his Rio Grande Southern upgrade?

#7 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 08 August 2011 - 01:08 AM, said:

You may, if you wish, change it to a WAG file. I found that in OR the tender will still exhibit ((BM)) and there will be no smoke. The reason for smoke appearing in OR and not in MSTS, is down to a generic smoke emission at is not controlled by the smoke settings in the ENG.....the smoke emission appears irrespective of the ENG settings, even when all perameters are zero'd.

Cheers Bazza

OOOOKKKK! Time for dumb question #2 How would one change the tender to a .wag file in the consist? I tried to alter the consist with Notepad, changing Engine and EngineData to Wagon but then the tender does not show in the consist. I am very hesitant to alter files even with a backup because I can break a rock just holding it! Can someone do a step by step tutorial on how to change the 454 and 450 tenders to wagons? I'll be eternally in your debt and you can have my first born (and welcome!), I will also learn more about the inner workings of the program. Oh yeah if I alter the tender to a .wag will that kill the Bazza Motion in MSTS? I'm assuming the answer is yep live with it!
:rotfl:

#8 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

The answer for MSTS is 'yes', it will break ((BM)); but the answer for OR (All Hail!) is 'no', a WAG wont break the ((BM)).

You probably broke the ENG trying to convert it directly to a WAG. I may have a tender without a ENG....you will have to edit a copy of it by changing
a few specs and file name references with a unicode text editor, such as WordPad, or ConTXT Editor.. I'll see if I can find it.

Cheers Bazza

#9 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:37 PM

I found a couple of suitable files, but I don't have time to do anything until later this evening, or tomorrow.

Cheers Bazza

#10 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:04 PM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 01 September 2011 - 02:02 PM, said:

The answer for MSTS is 'yes', it will break ((BM)); but the answer for OR (All Hail!) is 'no', a WAG wont break the ((BM)).

You probably broke the ENG trying to convert it directly to a WAG. I may have a tender without a ENG....you will have to edit a copy of it by changing
a few specs and file name references with a unicode text editor, such as WordPad, or ConTXT Editor.. I'll see if I can find it.

Cheers Bazza

Nope, didn't break a thing because I only work on copies and when it all goes south I delete and reactivate the original file. :crazy: (My mom raised a chubby boy not a damn fool!) 8P
Appreciate the offer of the files and I do have ConTXT and I have used Notepad for years to edit files and it works just fine for me. As for editing said files that is what I do not have the expertise to do. Previous posts have said "Oh just change the tender from and .eng file to a .wag file in the consist" making it sound like a romp in the park which, probably it is IF you know how and what to do. I would like to gain that knowledge myself before the last 47 brain cells die that is why I asked if somebody could do a tutorial on the procedure. :rotfl:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users