• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

This time with the borrow laptop Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:14 PM

Here is the log.txt of the latest version that I ran on the laptop with the payware route of MLT CN Bala Subdivision, SLI Scenic Subdivision 2.0 and some of the freeware routes. All came up with the same problem with the player train couldn't move because of the stuck notch 8 (all the way) at the beginning of the simulation -- I am not sure why? but find this same weird thing on all player locomotives on different routes. Also wheel slipping and the speedometer is jumping all over the place not start with 0 but back and forth in the speedometer gauge. Also the train is trying to leave but keep push and pull in the same spot. Anyway here is the zip file of log.txt for the team of Open Rails to look at.

Attached File  OpenRailsLog.zip (2.42K)
Number of downloads: 296

If you need to know more information about the laptop and send me private message or here in this forum.

Thank you again,

John

#2 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

Can you please provide us your FPS? The "oscilation" may be caused by low FPS (slow computations).

#3 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:11 PM

View Postjpmackay, on 03 August 2011 - 12:14 PM, said:

Here is the log.txt of the latest version that I ran on the laptop with the payware route of MLT CN Bala Subdivision, SLI Scenic Subdivision 2.0 and some of the freeware routes. All came up with the same problem with the player train couldn't move because of the stuck notch 8 (all the way) at the beginning of the simulation -- I am not sure why? but find this same weird thing on all player locomotives on different routes. Also wheel slipping and the speedometer is jumping all over the place not start with 0 but back and forth in the speedometer gauge. Also the train is trying to leave but keep push and pull in the same spot. Anyway here is the zip file of log.txt for the team of Open Rails to look at.

Attachment OpenRailsLog.zip

If you need to know more information about the laptop and send me private message or here in this forum.

Thank you again,

John

This is caused by the ENG trying to pull the train with the train brakes fully engaged. OR starts all activities with train brakes set. Normally, activities should start with the ENG throttle set to 0. I'm not sure why this is the case for these Activities. I will test with the USA2 activity that you attached the log for later tonight.
Thanks

#4 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

Here is the fps that you requested.

7 FPS
on the route of MLT CN Bala Subdivision with the activity, Southbound Priority.

If I run this same activity and same route on the program of Microsoft Train Simulator and get 25 FPS.

Thank you,

John

View PostMatej Pacha, on 03 August 2011 - 12:41 PM, said:

Can you please provide us your FPS? The "oscilation" may be caused by low FPS (slow computations).

#5 User is offline   Noisemaker 

• Executive Vice President

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

Good to see you here John. These guys are the best for helping. :oldstry: Wasn't aware your problem was beyond Bala Sub and with other routes, as I was thinking it was a good ol' MLT 'wrench in the machine'. no doubt.

But if it's on most of your route's - you've definitely come to the right place here.

And I forgot to ask - you're using regular stock and activities still. Or did you modify or change consists of any?

#6 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

Hey Steve and I was just about fell off my chair when I saw your name. Ha ha I better check the train equipment to see if I use regular stock that was provided by Maple Leaf Tracks for the route of MLT CN Bala Subdivision. I can't remember if I did modified the train consist for this route but I can change to the regular consist to see if that will work with this better.

Before getting off with this forum and I have been on the forum for a good while but lately I wasn't visit a lot. Now I decided that I should visit more often because several people who are involved with Open Rails are members of this forum.

John

View PostNoisemaker, on 03 August 2011 - 01:31 PM, said:

Good to see you here John. These guys are the best for helping. :oldstry: Wasn't aware your problem was beyond Bala Sub and with other routes, as I was thinking it was a good ol' MLT 'wrench in the machine'. no doubt.

But if it's on most of your route's - you've definitely come to the right place here.

And I forgot to ask - you're using regular stock and activities still. Or did you modify or change consists of any?

#7 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

Did a quick test. This activity starts with throttle set a "0%" and train brakes set at 82%. You must release the train brakes. You can use a short cut SHIFT + Question Mark/Backslash key to fully charge the brake system once the brake system has been reduced to RELEASE state. The consist starts rolling as its on a grade once the train brakes are released.

Attached Image: OR_test.gif

You should not use Dynamic Shadows (Main Menu check box) as it requires a reasonable video card which many laptops don't have. This will significantly improve your FPS, than having Dynamic Shadow enabled.

#8 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:36 PM

I want to say thank you for checking my log.txt and surprised to see that you said that I use Dynamic Shadows in Options Menu of MSTS. So I decided to check it out to see what I have leave the check mark and unmark. Here is what I have the information below with the borrowed laptop:

Display Resolution

1024 x 768 x 16

Overall Display Quality

all the way to Best Graphics

Overhead Wires

X Water

Shadows

Dynamic Shadows

X Textured Sky

X Precipitation

X Distant Mountains

Specular Shadows

High Details Shadows

Visibility 1500

Terrain Error Threshold 30

World Objects Density 7

World Objects Quality 3

World Objects Texture Quality 3

Train Objects Quality 3

Train Objects Texture Quality 3

Now the laptop is Compaq Presario M2105CA with 1 GB Memory Ram, ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M, 160GB hard drive and the operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with all update to this date. Also use Mobility Modder to improve the AMD Catalyst Drivers 11.7 XP (the latest drivers for ATI graphic card).

Now if you felt that I need to change anything in Options Menu for Microsoft Train Simulator and please let me know. I will be more happy to change and see if that will help more reliability for Open Rails.

Your help would be appreciated.

John

#9 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:44 PM

Hi,
Settings for MSTS have nothing to do with Open Rails - each is a totally different game engine. OR only reads the routes, trainset, activity information from your MSTS installation. It has it's own game settings using the "Details" button as shown below:

Attached Image: OR_Options.gif

Please make sure the Dynamic Shadows box in unchecked in the Open Rails menu. You can leave your MSTS settings at whatever you had before.

Unfortunately, your laptop specifications for the video card (32MB DDR (shared), user configurable up to 128MB) will not provide you with the same FPS you had with MSTS. Here's some information from our web site regarding HW specs

What computer specs do I need to run Open Rails?

In general, Open Rails currently requires the higher hardware specification as MSTS, especially with regard to video cards (GPU). Community members have gotten Open Rails to run on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 operating systems. Some OR users, however, have reported difficulties with low FPS especially on laptops with onboard video because of the demands Open Rails places on the GPU.
We have the following recommendations for the MINIMUM System requirements

• Operating system - Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 (32bit or 64bit)
  • Processor - 2.0 GHz or faster
  • Memory - Recommended 1GB+
  • Graphics - 256MB video RAM with Pixel Shader 2.0; Recommended 512MB dedicated video RAM (Pixel Shader 3.0 will deliver better visual performance)
  • DirectX® - Version 9.0c
  • Hard Drive - 40MB in addition to your MSTS installation
  • Sound - DirectX® 9.0c compatible

#10 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

Hi,

Guess that I am going to have to wait for a better computer to run Open Rails program. I know the borrowed laptop is old. Hopefully down the road we can get a better computer and be able to run your program. Want to say thank you for keeping me informed about this.

John

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users