• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I don't have MSTS installed Rate Topic: -----

#1 Inactive_Ulmer94_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

Hi,

I do not have MSTS installed. Is there a way I can download routes and locomotives and rolling stock for MSTS and run them with Open Rails anyway?

Thanks!

#2 Inactive_DAve Babb_*

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

The only need for a MSTS install is to you use its routes & Rolling stock.

*IF* you can install MSTS products into the same directory folder as MSTS used then I don't think there is anything to stop you not having MSTS installed.

#3 User is offline   Falcus 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

Even if you can fool OR into not needing an MSTS install, I personally wouldn't recommend it. OR is still being worked on, and MSTS Routes/Rolling Stock have their own Foibles and Quirks which, without a working install of MSTS, you won't be able to fix/deal with in any kind of satisfactory way. My First stop right now when something doesn't work in OR is to boot up MSTS and see if it works in MSTS as a Test of the Stock/Route, if it doesn't, then there's probably something wrong with the equipment/Route, if it does then its possible that OR isn't at a point where it can deal with it yet, etc etc. OR is still playing catch up, and Im not sure how complete its error messages (This would be the difference between "Error, OR had to close" and "Error: Could not create Cabview, missing .CVF File", which is a CRITICAL piece of information for fixing the problem, and this is just one of DOZENS of errors that can screw up your desired Sim).

IIRC Ive heard that OR needs other things from an MSTS install anyway besides content File Paths (Particularly seeing as the latest OR version lets you pick your Content File Path), but others more knowledgeable then myself will have to answer that.

Anyway, GL,
Alex

#4 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

If you do have a copy of MSTS and simply don't want to bother keeping it functional (i.e., for whatever reason you need/want to delete a variety of MSTS directories and files), what you do need to keep is \Global and \Routes with MS\Kuju stuff in both, plus any extra \global files, like Xtraks -- all that stuff that is commonly used in routes. AFAIK, everything else can be deleted.

OTOH, if you do not have MSTS at all then you need to find some routes that do not have any MS/Kuju shapes or textures in them and that might be hard to accomplish. The WP 3rd Sub from 3dtrains might qualify and European routes that use the UKFS and/or DR track shapes might also qualify.

#5 User is offline   JeffBush 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:33 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 31 July 2011 - 01:04 PM, said:

OTOH, if you do not have MSTS at all then you need to find some routes that do not have any MS/Kuju shapes or textures in them and that might be hard to accomplish. The WP 3rd Sub from 3dtrains might qualify and European routes that use the UKFS and/or DR track shapes might also qualify.

Any commercial route by law must meet this criteria, or they violate the Microsoft copyright. The challenge is getting the commercial route installed, since it will normally look for MSTS. Once its installed, OR will operate the route just fine without any reliance on MSTS content (subject to the qualifiers in earlier posts in this thread).

Jeff......................

#6 Inactive_Ulmer94_*

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

We-ell, if I did want to try to fool it into thinking that I have MSTS installed, how would I go about that? I figure I'd probably need a dummy Program Files folder to start with, right?

#7 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

View PostUlmer94, on 03 August 2011 - 01:27 PM, said:

We-ell, if I did want to try to fool it into thinking that I have MSTS installed, how would I go about that? I figure I'd probably need a dummy Program Files folder to start with, right?

That's correct, most installers will look for "Program Files/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Train Simulator" as the default folder location (assuming XP), but if the installer lets you select a folder, then it can be just about anything.

#8 Inactive_Ulmer94_*

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:06 PM

OK, is this would it be set up, then?

C:/
-Program Files
--Microsoft Games
---Train Simulator
----????
----????
----????
----????
and I need to fill in the "????"s? If someone could tell me how their folder is layed out, I'd appreciate it.

And I am trying to run this on my XP laptop...

Thanks!

EDIT: I tried something, I made the dummy program files folder, then installed an update for MSTS from the Microsoft website. The .exe's won't run because they need the full program installed, and I never expected them to work, but it made folders for me and gave me some content. I also downloaded a route that seemed to use only stuff that came with said route. Okay, I try to do "Explore Route" in the alternate menu of OR, and I get an error message. I'll post it later, it won't let me copy and paste it, but I've tried it repeatedly this morning and I get the same error message, from what I gather, I'm missing the file
"Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\GLOBAL\TSECTION.DAT".

EDIT 2: It happens on my Win 7 computer as well, which is the one I'm using now.

#9 Inactive_Ulmer94_*

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:15 AM

Here is the error message. I couldn't copy-and-paste, so I copied it manually...

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\GLOBAL\TSECTION.DAT'
at System.IO__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize)
at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks)
at MSTS.STFReader..ctor(String filename, Boolean useTree)
at MSTS.TSectionDatFile..ctor(String filePath)
at ORTS.Simulator..ctor(userSettings settings, String activityPath)
at ORTS.Program.InitSimulator(userSettings settings, String[] args, String mode)
at ORTS.Program.InitSimulator(UserSettings settings, String[] args)
at ORTS.Program.<>c__DisplayClass8.<Start>b__70
at ORTS.Program.Start(UserSetting settings, String[] args)

Can somebody understand this and help?

Thank you!

edited because the attachment didn't appear to work

#10 User is offline   johnfrum 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:43 AM

Ulmer94,

A tsection.dat file needs to be placed in your "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\GLOBAL\" folder (as the error message states).

I would start by downloading XTracks, available at the following URL:

http://www.nklj.se/xtracks/

and installing it per the instructions. It includes a tsection.dat file.

Then try running the route in Open Rails again.

Let us know what happens.

-JF-

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users