• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions about controls no mouse use in cab? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   JSchultz 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:10 AM

Are you guys just going to leave me hanging on this? I googled for uncompressing msts .w files and nothing came up. You both tell me about uncompressing the world files but hadn't told me how to do it. What's up with that? Eldorado says it's not for the unseasoned hacker but I'll try it. I'm not scared of screw something up. If I have to reinstall, no biggie. please help.

Thanks

EDIT: Please don't take this the wrong way. I reread it and it might seem like I'm being ignorant. I'm just asking and am not trying to sound upset or trying to be difficult. I'd just like to see it in all of it's glory if possible.

#12 User is offline   farrmp 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:OpenRails/MSTS

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

View PostCrazybricker, on 19 July 2011 - 10:10 AM, said:

Are you guys just going to leave me hanging on this? I googled for uncompressing msts .w files and nothing came up. You both tell me about uncompressing the world files but hadn't told me how to do it. What's up with that? Eldorado says it's not for the unseasoned hacker but I'll try it. I'm not scared of screw something up. If I have to reinstall, no biggie. please help.

Thanks

EDIT: Please don't take this the wrong way. I reread it and it might seem like I'm being ignorant. I'm just asking and am not trying to sound upset or trying to be difficult. I'd just like to see it in all of it's glory if possible.

I believe there are several utilities that will uncompress any of the MSTS files that are compressed. I used RouteRiter to uncompress the .W world files for the 3 MLT Routes I have and ALL scenery is now visible
in OpenRails. A search of the file library over at TrainSim came up with something called MSTS ReCompiler (recmp119.zip) that claims to do the job. I seem to remember that tsutils also has this ability. Maybe someone familiar with these other utilities can comment. I would be lost without RouteRiter and highly recommend it if you do not already have it. (Be sure to make a donation to Mike Simpson, the creator of this fine program, to unlock the EXTRA Features!)

'Nuff Said

Paul

#13 User is offline   JSchultz 

• Hostler

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

Thanks farrmp but how do I do it? I've had Route_Riter for a while now and I made a donation right away but I don't see an option to uncompress them. I only see the Compress .W. Where is uncompress?

Thanks.

EDIT: I just found the button named Uncompress S,T & W files under the MSTS File Utils tab but when I select the .w files in the world folder and have the destination folder set to a different folder, it goes thru a process but no new files are in the new folder. I also tried it using the same folder and it shows that it's uncompressing them but the file size is the same after it's done. So am I doing something worng?

#14 User is offline   farrmp 

• Hostler
  • Simulator:OpenRails/MSTS

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

View PostCrazybricker, on 19 July 2011 - 04:41 PM, said:

Thanks farrmp but how do I do it? I've had Route_Riter for a while now and I made a donation right away but I don't see an option to uncompress them. I only see the Compress .W. Where is uncompress?

Thanks.

EDIT: I just found the button named Uncompress S,T & W files under the MSTS File Utils tab but when I select the .w files in the world folder and have the destination folder set to a different folder, it goes thru a process but no new files are in the new folder. I also tried it using the same folder and it shows that it's uncompressing them but the file size is the same after it's done. So am I doing something worng?

No, I don't think so. Any chance you are running Win 7 or Vista?? Normally you select the World folder for the Route in the Left window. Highlight all of the files. Select the SAME Route and World folder in the Right Window and press the Uncompress S,T & W Files Button to Uncompress the files In-Place. The reason I ask about your Windows version, is that many people have had problems with Windows Permissions and programs like RouteRiter not having permission to Write to a file. I use XP so I've not gotten into Permissions and the whole Win 7 Administrative Mess!

What do you think?

Paul

#15 User is offline   JSchultz 

• Hostler

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

Yes, I have windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I forgot to mention that. I have the UAC turned off but I guess that is making a difference. Darn it. I'll try something and see if I can get it to work. Thanks for the help. Sorry I forgot to mention I had Windows 7.

#16 User is offline   JSchultz 

• Hostler

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:03 AM

Thanks farrmp, MSTS ReCompiler does work in Windows 7 but I have to do each .w file individually and there's 196 of them. I did 50 of them and it's getting tiredsome already. Maybe I'll do them all somed other day. It's a shame tho because OpenRails isn't what I thought it was. I was reading good things about it and the screen resolution is great but driving a train with no scenery is boring to me. It's just too plain looking when in msts it looks more full. I hope you guys figure something out for these .w files because I'd hate to have to uncompress each and every one of them to be able to play OpenRails and be able to see the scenery like it was intended. I might finish doing the .w files in this route just to see it but I'm not doing it for all the other routes I have. That's just too much work since Route_Riter doesn't work in Windows 7 like it did before. Again, Thanks for your help and I hope the OR team can get the world files to display correctly. It definitely looks promising.

#17 User is offline   JSchultz 

• Hostler

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

I finally got around to uncompressing all of the world files and I must say that the route looks a whole lot better now that the scenery is shown. I want to thank Eldorado.Railroad for telling me about uncompressing the world files to get the scenery to show up and farrmp for telling me of an alternative program to use since I can't get Route_Riter to work like it should. It's funny tho because I think I remember Route_Riter working better before I reinstalled Windows 7. I just found out yesterday why Shape Viewer wasn't displaying the trains when loading a consist file. So I'm thinking I might be missing something but farrmp said others were having problems as well with it so I might not be missing something then. I haven't found anything yet that would say that I need anything else to make it work. Either way for now the route is looking like it should and with Dynamic Shadows enabled, it looks even better. Although now I'm having truble getting Tim Muirs boxcabs to work correctly. I'm going to have to ask him about them when I get the time to mess with them more.

I'm looking forward to seeing more being accomplished with OpenRails. I want to start making some vehicles to use in it. I've been working on Semis from the 18 Wheels of Steel games. I want to convert them to use as scenery objects but haven't gotten them converted yet. I have them in Gmax but not finished yet. I have to find some tutorials on how to do it. I'll get something together and post some screen shots to see if anyone would be interested in them. There are a lot of them and they look a lot better then most of the trucks I've seen in msts.

For now, thank you for your help to get my route looking like it should.

Have a great day...

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users