• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions about controls no mouse use in cab? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JSchultz 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:04 PM

I haven't played MSTS much because I'm having trouble with my keyboard not working anymore in the game. Can't figure out why. It used to work but not since I reinstalled Windows 7. So I just tried OpenRails tonight and I wasn't able to move the controls with my mouse like in MSTS. Is the mouse not going to be used any more? I liked being able to use the mouse. I'm also wondering if I can use a controller like the Microsoft 360 controller? I know there are more controls than there are buttons but it might be easier than using just the keyboard for some things. I'm only asking because I when I looked at the RailDriver, I couldn't get one for a 64 bit computer and that's what I have. I don't know which one else to look into because I'm new to this. I only played msts for a little while but I'm liking it more and more. I'd like to get something better than just using the keyboard. Any recommendations?

Thanks

John

P.S. I like the better screen resolutions in OpenRails. MSTS has only 4:3 resolutions and with OpenRails I can play at 1920x1080. :rotfl:

EDIT: OOps, I forgot to also ask about the yard view camera, number 7. Is that not being used in OpenRails? If not, how do you view overhead when switching cars in a yard?

Sorry for so many questions in one post.

#2 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:15 AM

View PostCrazybricker, on 15 July 2011 - 07:04 PM, said:

So I just tried OpenRails tonight and I wasn't able to move the controls with my mouse like in MSTS. Is the mouse not going to be used any more? I liked being able to use the mouse.

Mouse control isn't implemented yet but I do believe we want to include it.

I'm also wondering if I can use a controller like the Microsoft 360 controller? I know there are more controls than there are buttons but it might be easier than using just the keyboard for some things.

Like with the mouse, gamepads and other controllers are not support at this time. We've been focusing on the simulation and getting the graphics workings so for the moment it is the keyboard or nothing. Actually, that's not strictly true...

I'm only asking because I when I looked at the RailDriver, I couldn't get one for a 64 bit computer and that's what I have.

...because Open Rails natively supports RailDriver. I don't believe you need to install anything, even in Windows 7 64bit, for it to work in OR.

EDIT: OOps, I forgot to also ask about the yard view camera, number 7. Is that not being used in OpenRails? If not, how do you view overhead when switching cars in a yard?

Currently there is no yard camera, but you can "detach" any camera with key 8 and fly it around. Cameras 2 and 3 can also be positioned with more flexibility than MSTS.

#3 User is offline   JSchultz 

• Hostler

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:49 AM

Thanks James for the answers. It's been over a year since I played and I'll have to get used to it all again. I just ran thru OpenRails to check it out. I'm liking how fast it loads and the layout of the menu. But I'm having a problem with a Maria Pass route. It's called Grain train though the night. In msts, the train is moving down the track when started and in OpenRails it's standing still and when I try to move it, it goes backwards and I can't get it to go forward for anything. I don't know if you knew about this or not. Sorry if it's old news. I'm also like the cab light I can turn on. That's cool!!

I'm going to try a MLT route I have. I have Soldier Summit and want to see how it works in OpeRails. I'm thinking it'll look good since I can play at 1920x1080. :rotfl: Thanks!

#4 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:22 AM

View PostCrazybricker, on 16 July 2011 - 08:49 AM, said:

But I'm having a problem with a Maria Pass route. It's called Grain train though the night. In msts, the train is moving down the track when started and in OpenRails it's standing still and when I try to move it, it goes backwards and I can't get it to go forward for anything.

At the present time, OR doesn't begin activities with the player nor the AI train in motion. Unfortunately, the position (on a hill) and weight (very heavy) of the train exceed the engine's ability to get it started, so you slip backwards. Sorry.

#5 User is offline   JSchultz 

• Hostler

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

That's ok longiron. I know it's still in the works. I'm just saying what I notice. I'm sorry if I sounded too critical. I didn't mean to.

I just installed Soldier Summit and noticed that there are no scenery objects shown in OpenRails. OpenRails doesn't load scenery objects yet? I think when it does, it'll be a good sim. I'm switching back and forth betweem msts and op and see the differences. I'm liking the screen resolution the most right now and the light in the cab. Because I have a 24" monitor, I like being able to play at 1920x1080 which msts does not allow. I have msts set to the highest resolution, forget which, and the engines and cars look stretched because of it. OpenRails displays them better. I hope to see you guys get further with OpenRails because it's lookin good so far. Unfortunately I have no programming skills to help ya out. :rotfl: Thanks for your hard work so far.

#6 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

View PostCrazybricker, on 16 July 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

I just installed Soldier Summit and noticed that there are no scenery objects shown in OpenRails.

This is the first I've heard of this ... OR should display all scenery items except gantry items with compressed world files. Are you getting any errors in the OR log file?

#7 User is offline   JSchultz 

• Hostler

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:28 PM

I don't know what I'm looking for in the log file so I posted it for you to look at. I also took a screen shot from the beginning of the activity. It is called an activity right? In msts, there are houses and trees and poles seen from the same spot. Is there any other info I need to give you? My computer is a Dell Studio Quad core, 8 gig ram, GeForce 9800gt. If you need anything else, let me know and I'll tell ya. Thanks.

Also, the activity is DRGW Helper Service. I just took a screen shot from the same spot in msts. See the difference?

EDIT: I was looking thru other activities from Marias Pass and Soldier Summit and they also are missing scenery objects. Some are only missing some of them, others are are missing all of them. When I try to use the activity called -explore route- from Marias Pass, I get an error saying Invalid heading direction.

Attached File(s)

#8 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:46 AM

View Postlongiron, on 16 July 2011 - 11:28 AM, said:

This is the first I've heard of this ... OR should display all scenery items except gantry items with compressed world files. Are you getting any errors in the OR log file?

Some months back I had this route's "bit between my teeth". I had seen that there was a problem for route data values in compressed world files. What was expressed elsewhere was that the values were "different". What I am about to write might be of help, but not for the unseasoned hacker. OR v677 does not (good idea) ignore errors the way MSTS does. So when I noticed errors coming from "forest.dat" and "signal.dat" in this route I took a very good look at the world files. To look at the world files means uncompressing them! I deleted the references to "forest.dat" which is empty anyway. I also had to edit the "signal.dat" file because OR complains of duplicate references, which there are. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what those are, or even post/upload the fixes (legal) because I erased the route from my MSTS setup (yeah, I do silly things from time to time, but I also experiment quite a lot). Having said that, those fixes brought all the scenery back to Soldier Summit. If you endeavour to fix this route I can tell you that there is no doubt in the visual reward you will receive for your efforts with dynamic shadows turned on. Plain talk: looks real nice (Texas accent required here!)

Eldorado

#9 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 17 July 2011 - 06:46 AM, said:

When I noticed errors coming from "forest.dat" and "signal.dat" in this route I took a very good look at the world files. To look at the world files means uncompressing them! I deleted the references to "forest.dat" which is empty anyway. I also had to edit the "signal.dat" file because OR complains of duplicate references, which there are.

Having said that, those fixes brought all the scenery back to Soldier Summit. If you endeavour to fix this route I can tell you that there is no doubt in the visual reward you will receive for your efforts with dynamic shadows turned on. Plain talk: looks real nice (Texas accent required here!)

Eldorado

I'm wondering if "uncompressing" world files had your major impact on display of scenery, rather than the corrections to forest.dat and signal.dat, as those are just WARNINGS in the log file, not ERRORs. I would give uncompressing the world files a shot before doing any edits.

#10 User is offline   JSchultz 

• Hostler

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

In the world folder of Soldier Summit route, there are 196 .w files. How would I go about "uncompressing" them? I have Route Ritter but there is only Compress .w files.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users