• You cannot reply to this topic

A question about MSTS and .bin Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:48 AM

B & O GUY, on 16 March 2011 - 07:20 AM, said:

Okay. Have another question. Last night while backing a long train of some 60 cars and 3 locomotives the entire train jumped over to the adjacent track. No turnouts or crossovers in the area. What key did I push that caused this?

It's kind of funny as I was searching for a crossover or turnout to get over on to the adjacent track and OR read my mind and obliged me.

Other anomalies I've noticed are;

1. Dead stops at stop signals even if you decide to ignore them in explore mode in some locations.
2. No derailments no matter what or how fast you hit. In MSTS even though "Derailments" box is unchecked derailments still occur when coupling speeds are to fast. Not in OR.
3. No crashes. I like this!

Allen

Allen,
What route were you running when the cars jumped? And can you give us the tile coordinates?

Other "anomalies" you experienced:
1. Signaling is still very, very much a WIP. Try the TAB key to get permission to pass a red light, it generally works. Right now, OR just stops the train when passing a "red" signal as we know there are issues with the signaling implementation. The OR team is preparing a major update to the signaling in the next few months - see http://openrails.org/roadmap.html for more information.

2. Derailments are generally calculated by "collision" code. At the present time, OR has not implemented collision code for calculating derailments. Essentially you cannot derail - although I haven't tested what happens in OR if you were to try to couple at 30 mph.

3. The programming team has worked very hard at providing stablility for OR. The tradeoff is slower addition of new features.

#12 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

Chris

What route were you running when the cars jumped? And can you give us the tile coordinates?

The locomotives were your EL's. The route is Allegheny Rails by Michael Stephan. And the location was Parker in front of the power plant.

It wasn't just the car's but the entire train and it landed perfectly on the adjacent tracks. I just gave it throttle and went on my merry way. It was where I wanted to be in the first place. :sweatingbullets:

Derailments are generally calculated by "collision" code. At the present time, OR has not implemented collision code for calculating derailments. Essentially you cannot derail - although I haven't tested what happens in OR if you were to try to couple at 30 mph.

You could hit at 90 mph and it would couple perfectly every time. Sure does cut down on switching times. I always hated the watching of the speedometer in MSTS to make sure I wasn't going over three miles an hour to keep the sim from crashing while coupling and the having to restart each time. This sim is a model railroad to me. Not real life situations and the associated stresses that go with that. I wanna have fun. And this is fun.

Allen :rofl:

#13 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:37 AM

What I've found happens when you run yourself up a dead ended siding at say 60 MPH is, the train comes to a dead stop. No derailment, just STOP. All brakes are applied and it takes about 5 minutes to release everything before you can get your train going again backwards out of the siding.

:sweatingbullets:.

#14 Inactive_Queeg_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Howdy

I'm new here but an old hand at MSTS, not OR - But just the same it's just not a good feel when you know that no matter what you do, you can't derail.
I see it as a necessary part to have a decent challenge.

At least the version 8 I use is like that. **When will there be realistic derailments - ?** I suppose maybe it belongs on the wish list. I know some folks like this situation ( and maybe they like participation trophies too ) but really far from a realistic experience - Railworks seems to me to be catering to the gaming aspect and less interested in realism. The graphics are great though.

Anyways - I LOVE OR !! save for the non-existent derail issue. The framerates are awesome but please make my choo-choo crash if I screw up :p

Mike

This post has been edited by Queeg: 09 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

#15 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

Queeg, on 09 April 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

I'm new here but an old hand at MSTS, not OR - But just the same it's just not a good feel when you know that no matter what you do, you can't derail.
I see it as a necessary part to have a decent challenge.

At least the version 8 I use is like that. **When will there be realistic derailments - ?** I suppose maybe it belongs on the wish list. I know some folks like this situation ( and maybe they like participation trophies too ) but really far from a realistic experience - Railworks seems to me to be catering to the gaming aspect and less interested in realism. The graphics are great though.

Understand your concerns; we absolutely plan to add derailments at some point, however, the plan is only to detect that they would have occurred and pause the game, giving the options "Quit" and "Continue (stationary)". We don't plan to actually simulate the derailments, even to the level MSTS did.

#16 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

James Ross, on 09 April 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

Understand your concerns; we absolutely plan to add derailments at some point, however, the plan is only to detect that they would have occurred and pause the game, giving the options "Quit" and "Continue (stationary)". We don't plan to actually simulate the derailments, even to the level MSTS did.

For what its worth, I completely agree with this approach. OR is a realistic train simulator, All railways usually go to great lengths to avoid derailments.

#17 Inactive_Queeg_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

Lindsayts, on 09 April 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

For what its worth, I completely agree with this approach. OR is a realistic train simulator, All railways usually go to great lengths to avoid derailments.

Really ruined my day to hear those last 2 comments.. VERY disappointing to see that we won't have as real an experience as possible and the fantastic use of graphics at our disposal now to show it all. There have been some amazing crashes in history so to claim it's more realistic to leave them out because "we try not to crash" is totally illogical since they can and have and do occur.

Certainly if you go the wrong way on a track and hit head on at 60 MPH , the trains don't just pause. Your train runs through the end of a track and off the side of a mountain and the action just stops ? Please spare me sir. A "no train left behind" experience is inadequate.

It is also not realistic at all to have the option to pause and continue etc.. rather than having you pay the price for your errors - consistant with our unwritten policy (in the US) of not allowing failure or to eliminate the consequences. As bad as MSTS represents crashes I still got the feeling that I really made a big error and am paying for it with what followed.

SO, PLEASE put in the crash and derail as realistic as possible to make it as real as it can get.

If the simulator strives for realism then if you drive nutty or just badly then you should experience just what would've happened with a real train - It's a BIG disappointment to hear that such an important part of a realistic experience is going to be muted or left out basically. With our new abilities to program realistic events on the rails comes the ability to support spectacular crashes , should they occur.

A simulator should include ALL possible aspects of what can happen and you (as the user) should be able to experience whatever would happen. That's what a sim is for in my opinion - otherwise it's incomplete, at the very least.

I implore you creators of OR to reconsider. So looking forward to a complete and up to date sim. Don't lower the BAR !! And make it BORING .......... Or I'll be stuck with the old program forever..and I had such high hopes...

For those that like to keep it unreal with no crashes (if you want to play bumper cars, then go the amusement park, lol) - the good ol no derailment check box, then everybody gets what they require.

Mike:(

#18 User is offline   cwvs 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, OpenRails

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hello All!

I dislike crashing myself, but what if we had a rerailing option available? It is probably a pie-in-the-sky thing to ask for, but it would be cool to try to rerail from a minor derailment. I can almost see the crew out there, rerailer in hand...

Bob :)

#19 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

Queeg, on 10 April 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

Really ruined my day to hear those last 2 comments.. VERY disappointing to see that we won't have as real an experience as possible and the fantastic use of graphics at our disposal now to show it all. There have been some amazing crashes in history so to claim it's more realistic to leave them out because "we try not to crash" is totally illogical since they can and have and do occur.

Certainly if you go the wrong way on a track and hit head on at 60 MPH , the trains don't just pause. Your train runs through the end of a track and off the side of a mountain and the action just stops ? Please spare me sir. A "no train left behind" experience is inadequate.

It is also not realistic at all to have the option to pause and continue etc.. rather than having you pay the price for your errors - consistant with our unwritten policy (in the US) of not allowing failure or to eliminate the consequences. As bad as MSTS represents crashes I still got the feeling that I really made a big error and am paying for it with what followed.

SO, PLEASE put in the crash and derail as realistic as possible to make it as real as it can get.

If the simulator strives for realism then if you drive nutty or just badly then you should experience just what would've happened with a real train - It's a BIG disappointment to hear that such an important part of a realistic experience is going to be muted or left out basically. With our new abilities to program realistic events on the rails comes the ability to support spectacular crashes , should they occur.

A simulator should include ALL possible aspects of what can happen and you (as the user) should be able to experience whatever would happen. That's what a sim is for in my opinion - otherwise it's incomplete, at the very least.

I implore you creators of OR to reconsider. So looking forward to a complete and up to date sim. Don't lower the BAR !! And make it BORING .......... Or I'll be stuck with the old program forever..and I had such high hopes...

For those that like to keep it unreal with no crashes (if you want to play bumper cars, then go the amusement park, lol) - the good ol no derailment check box, then everybody gets what they require.

Mike:(

Well said and agree.

Please allow derailments/stringlining or this won't be realistic if we do something wrong in handling or a physic of a car's or engine as well as train makeup. I was really happy to see OR put broken knuckles in and looking forward to derailments to fully pull me away from MSTS program for good. If no one wants to see derailments occur, then unmark the checkbox for no derailments and/or no scenes of one like the current option for broken knuckles. If a train derails ingame, some of us may want to investigate with seeing what probbably happend and not exit completely to the menu as it occurs. We also need a Evaluation checking option from how are runs were.

Another way for us to investigate is to have a replay included so a rewind 15 seconds before and after impact. It's already great what OR development has done with pausing and able to camera move during pause.

#20 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:57 PM

Queeg, on 10 April 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

Sorry for the following reply, but your post is a great pass:
There will be a special edition of ORTS with a CRASH feature. If you cause a crash, the ORTS will be uninstalled and you'll have to pay for another installation. A HARD CORE edition will cause a physical damage of your computer. :)

Any damage in real world is classified as an accident and such a train should not continue - we know this - OR team is well skilled and full of professionals.
Anyway, if you want to crash something and enjoy it, try a GAME, not this simulator. It is not like a rallye or simillar race where you run even on one wheel. We are going to implement some kind of evaluation, but no crash modelling or deformations.

Best regards,

Matej

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users