• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails v.646 Activities loading Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:41 AM

Just wanted to ask a question concerning opening activities.

I belong to the C&NW VR which has over 300 different activities available. :shok: I have completed all their activities. :) About 1/2 way through the list I started using Mike Simpson's MSTS Mini-Loader utility. It is like Train Store but only operates on one route at a time. My old brain can keep track of one at a time much better than Train Store all routes in my MSTS install method. :good: That being said, I also have the C&NW installed as a Mini-Route, hence Mike's Mini-Loader usage.

I had activated some activities written for the C&NW that are not part of the VR official activities and they call for some rolling stock that I could not download from the C&NW site due to technical problems on their site. :sign_thanks:

With that background explained here is what I found with Open Rails v0.646,(nee v0.645) When I load the 3 activities, of the 7 in the unofficial group, that call for the rolling stock I do not have, Open Rails loads the activities without any problems and runs fine. :good:

Of course I do not get the pop-up messages with directions and hints that help with the activity but that is not the reason for my question.

Why does Open Rails load the activity while MSTS will not load it with the missing rolling stock and crashes while OR works without any problems even though the rolling stock is missing?

The world wants to know?? :oldstry:

#2 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

To address one quarry, hit the F1 key, that'll tell what the activity wants you to do. I believe this is a temporary set up for now.

Can't help you with the other issue.

:sign_thanks:

#3 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

View Postspud, on 10 March 2011 - 10:41 AM, said:

Just wanted to ask a question concerning opening activities.

Why does Open Rails load the activity while MSTS will not load it with the missing rolling stock and crashes while OR works without any problems even though the rolling stock is missing?

The world wants to know??

Would you mind attaching the OR log file from one of those activities? It's important info for the dev team to understand what's going on.
Thanks

#4 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

longiron,
unfortunately I was sent the rolling stock needed to run the activities in MSTS after I had tried, successfully, to run the activities in OR. It is now installed on my system so I do not have the activities sans rolling stock any longer. As for sending the log I looked at my OR folder and there is no log folder so no log to send???

#5 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

Spud

Check your desktop or where you opened your OR zip to such as the My documents folder. It's a notepad document with a notepad icon. I have it as a "OPENRAILSLOG". If you can't find it do a search.

Allen :oldstry:

#6 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:27 PM

I believe it defaults to your desktop. At least that's the way it's now set up for ease of finding so you can send it to us.

:oldstry:

#7 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:34 PM

Thanks Rick. I thought that was how it was supposed to work but wasn't sure.

My installation keeps crashing back to desktop tonight with the PRR route. It gets to a certain point north of Washington and say's there is a junction missing and crash. I still haven't installed all the updates to the route so that may be the problem.

#8 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:05 PM

View PostB & O GUY, on 10 March 2011 - 07:34 PM, said:

Thanks Rick. I thought that was how it was supposed to work but wasn't sure.
My installation keeps crashing back to desktop tonight with the PRR route. It gets to a certain point north of Washington and say's there is a junction missing and crash. I still haven't installed all the updates to the route so that may be the problem.
Allen

Allen,
PRR-ER will not work consistently with OR. The PRR-ER team has done some tdb hacks and other magical effects to get it to work. OR cannot interpret this, so you will get crashes at certain locations.

#9 User is offline   spud 

• Conductor

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:56 AM

View PostB & O GUY, on 10 March 2011 - 05:22 PM, said:

Spud

Check your desktop or where you opened your OR zip to such as the My documents folder. It's a notepad document with a notepad icon. I have it as a "OPENRAILSLOG". If you can't find it do a search.

Owwwww! another new thing to learn. Youse guys really know how to hurt a guy! :D

Found it staring me in the kisser on the desktop right where it is 'sposed' to be!

File attached herewith.

Attached File(s)

#10 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:01 AM

View Postspud, on 11 March 2011 - 06:56 AM, said:

Owwwww! another new thing to learn. Youse guys really know how to hurt a guy! :D

Found it staring me in the kisser on the desktop right where it is 'sposed' to be!

File attached herewith.

Spud,
I believe your error and fix are the same as in this thread http://www.trainsim....590#post1668590

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users