#13 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:46 AM

View Postcaptain_bazza, on 29 January 2011 - 07:05 PM, said:

LF2I
Cheers Bazza

In all seriousness, there is not a firm date. The decision to release is based on quality and features, not a particular date. So the best estimate we have is in a month - that would put it at the end of Feb.

#14 User is offline   revich 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:12 AM

I'm really excited by dantheman's suggestion of plugin definined animations! ;)

Development of a flexible protocol that would allows Open Rails to acquire novel plug-ins unique to a particular route, class of objects or environmental effects (trains, scenery, weather, etc.)rather than being hard-wired into the program code--would open a huge window for creativity. If necessary, submissions to an Open Rails "plug-in library" could be screened by moderators, much like Apple does with their iPhone Apps.

Unique function keys might operate either in default mode (for MSTS era routes) or else according to variables supplied by the route builder in the case of an "Open Rails era" route. Non-default function key assignment(s) could be acquired by Open Rails as a route is loaded and/or (if desired)be changed during a run based on trigger points or user interventions which assign new operative behaviors to those key(s). The trigger points could be located on the track or else at other route locations, perhaps becoming operative only when either the train or camera view is in close proximity to some "hot spot" in the scenery or else be randomly assigned according to other criteria.

In explore mode, wouldn't it be great if the operator (via a function key) could use a function key to trigger a change in the weather en-route, enable track hazards to appear as they otherwise only do during activities in MSTS, etc. It seems to me that our hobby would be a lot more interesting with added variety in the environment, potentially attracting a much wider audience without spoiling things for the more serious train buffs.

Rich (Just dreaming! ;) )

View Postdantheman, on 29 January 2011 - 12:44 PM, said:

Being able to define what a key press animates and such by a plugin which You or I could make. That would be great. As well as about 1,000,000,000 possible rod animations :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users