?

#2 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

Hi'ya Eldorado,

There is a statement regard current graphics resolution MSTS > OR in the OR FAQ.

Will Open Rails make my MSTS routes and trains look better?

MSTS displays textures as 16-bit color even though most are stored as 24 or 32-bit ACE files. Therefore, the graphic foundation is there for improved visual with existing MSTS textures. Open Rails could provide better lighting effects and texture effects to give a better view of the current MSTS models. Nevertheless, Open Rails will not magically make everything look much better.

In my experience with OR, better quality artwork shows well in OR even after processing with old MSTS tools.

2048x2048 24b textures work, too.

I can't answer about alpha textures, I don't use them, so someone else might be able to answer about that aspect.

Generally, OR shows artwork better than MSTS.

Cheers Bazza

#3 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

I, too, can attest to the fact that OR does indeed display the old MSTS graphics noticeably better.
It's very hard to post comparison shots of each because of all the varied PC types out there but, with a good graphics board and a good monitor, it is very apparent.
I'm still using 512x and haven't tried the 1024x or 2048x textures yet but, I can honestly say, WOW, there is a difference in OR's graphics.
(I do have a nice PC with a good graphics board and a good monitor, btw)

:wheelchair:

#4 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:40 AM

View PostEldorado.Railroad, on 30 August 2010 - 09:31 AM, said:

As OR uses a different display engine I wonder if 24-32 bit textures with transparencies and/or alpha channels are handled any differently than MSTS?

Are there provisions for alpha channels with more bit depth?

Can textures without reduced palettes be used without the palette aliasing seen in MSTS?

Eldorado

In general, OR will not reduce the color palette like MSTS does. However, OR does not provide more bit depth than what's in the original artwork. So, if you've used 8 bit alpha OR is stuck with the bit depth of the ace file.

The team is investigating texture file formats that provide much greater bit depth for the future. But nothing has been decided, nor a roadmap for implementation of alternative textures is committed.
chrisvw
Project Lead
openrails.org

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:09 AM

The OR team has occasionally kicked around the idea that alternative image formats might be useful but to date nothing has been done with the idea. Paul Gausden suggested using the a different makeace program (the name escapes me), perhaps one that comes with Railworks (or is intended for use w/ Railworks) that can do better types of DTX compression. AFAIK no one has tested that idea but Paul does know his stuff so I expect he's correct.

For myself, I kinda like the idea of moving away from the .ace format as I think of it as a pretty corner case image format. Something more widely used, like .dds, is one idea. But as Chris said, nothing yet has been done.

#6 Inactive_Dozer_*

• Group: Status: Passengers (Obsolete)

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:19 PM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 04 September 2010 - 09:09 AM, said:

For myself, I kinda like the idea of moving away from the .ace format as I think of it as a pretty corner case image format. Something more widely used, like .dds, is one idea. But as Chris said, nothing yet has been done.

I would agree with the DDS idea, and this is what I use in my own projects. I believe the only functional difference between ACE and DDS files is that ACE files have an option to compress (zip) the file (so a zipped DDS file should do the same job as an ACE file). The reason is that it is faster to load a zipped file and uncompress it in memory than to load a larger uncompressed file. Some commerical game engines use DDS as the default texture format, but instead of zipping each file they may zip all of the DDS files (and other assets) in the directory into one big zip file (often called a PAK file). In some cases these PAK files are literally ZIP files with a different extension and will open in Winzip. The reason for this is that it apparently faster for the OS to load one large zip file and stream the files from inside it, than it is to read from lots of smaller files. For development purposes the game engines also support reading the unzipped files directly from the directory.

Personally I prefer DDS as there is already good tool support and useful sample applications in the DirectX SDK. It is the default DirectX format and less proprietry than ACE files. However, I think there would have to be an option for zlib/zip compression, either as indiviual files, or PAKs of files.

My two cents...

#7 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

I'm not convinced compressing individual files is an advantage any more (though it may have been at MSTS's time), but multiple files in a single "package" (compressed or not) is. E.g. having downloadable content in a single zip that doesn't even need to be extracted to work (just save to the right folder) would be cool, but we can think more about this when we get to that stage.

In any case, I'd also support using DDS for textures, for the already mentioned reasons.

#8 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:30 PM

Hmmmm, great idea for the future development of texture formats for OR.

#9 User is offline   longiron 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS editors

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:16 AM

Some good discussion about the advantages of texture file formats on the XNA forum. It appears DDS has a lot going for it including a lot of existing tools to manipulate and convert.

http://forums.xna.co...ms/t/43208.aspx

#10 User is offline   captain_bazza 

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

Will OR support bump mapping, or does it already do so?

Thanks.

Cheers Bazza

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users