Elvas Tower: Reworking the Dispatcher Window - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reworking the Dispatcher Window How could we make it more intuitive? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:35 AM

I think it's time to give the Dispatcher window some care to make it more coherent and simpler to use. It's unclear what most of the buttons do without having consulted the manual beforehand; they are misaligned and cluttered, and the messaging experience has its fair share of problems too. (About multiplayer messaging, it's scattered all over the place, an issue which is part of a larger one, i.e., there are so many different multiplayer HUDs that could be merged. Also, I've found a standalone message dialogue in the code that does not even seem to be used [RunActivity > Viewer3D > Debugging > MessageViewer.cs]. I'm curious, anyone know what that's about?)

I've been interested in contributing code to Open Rails for some time now, and I've just got around to setting up the development environment. I think it would be a nice exercise for me to try to improve the Dispatcher window; not too easy but also not too difficult with Visual Studio's Designer interface.

Therefore, I would like to know if such a contribution is justified or would be appreciated; if yes, what are your pain points while using the Dispatcher window? Thank you!

#2 User is offline   Weter 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 29 May 2023 - 01:03 AM

Hello.
Yes: everything, you've told about dispatcher's window is true for me.
Buttons and checkboxes, arranged stair-like, and text, not fitting Windows's edges upsets.

Also, setting too small scale of map and moving it with mouse could result game's crash.
Especially - with many moving trains across the route's area.
Since some version, if dispatcher window is active, no keyboard commands sent to ORTS for train controlling, but once it inactive - it is hidden under 3-d viewer's window - so can't be seen. This means, it can't overlay 3d viewer, with keyboard input focus being kept in game.
And more, please look there, for me to not repeat:
http://www.elvastowe...post__p__297312

#3 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler

Posted 29 May 2023 - 01:19 AM

Thank you for your ideas Weter. I will certainly take them into consideration when reworking the Dispatcher window. However, I'm afraid providing a standalone timetable debugger is out of the scope of my current plans, but I will keep it in mind for the future. http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

#4 User is offline   Amtrak115 

• Fireman
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 29 May 2023 - 04:49 AM

PerpetualKid has already reworked the dispatcher code baseline....not sure if it addresses the issues you talk about here.... The reworked code is base .net6 and is contained in the "Ultimate" release available on his github page as the latest release.

#5 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler

Posted 29 May 2023 - 05:23 AM

View PostAmtrak115, on 29 May 2023 - 04:49 AM, said:

PerpetualKid has already reworked the dispatcher code baseline....not sure if it addresses the issues you talk about here.... The reworked code is base .net6 and is contained in the "Ultimate" release available on his github page as the latest release.

I didn't know about that; I've just checked it out. I'm wondering why it did not make it into the official OR codebase... Will it be adopted at some point in the future?

#6 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler

Posted 02 June 2023 - 11:31 AM

Progress update:

Attached Image: Dispatcher1.jpg
Attached Image: Dispatcher2.jpg

The large grey box is a placeholder for the map. The two last controls in the Multiplayer settings group are disabled because I do not know what they actually do -- can someone please advise me? Overall, what do you think of this preliminary design concept?

#7 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 02 June 2023 - 11:41 AM

I like the preliminary design sofar it looks like a good improvement.

#8 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler

Posted 03 June 2023 - 12:20 AM

View PostWeter, on 02 June 2023 - 01:18 PM, said:

Some time ago I asked about prefer green: the answer was - choose, whether all signals of the route are opened (I.e. Green) by default, or closed (red).

Thank you, that makes sense!

---

I've run into a visual problem: when moving the mouse cursor over a control that specifies a certain cursor type that is not the default one (e.g., a LinkLabel), the cursor flickers violently, alternating between the two cursor types. I've traced back the problem to this line of code, which reverts the cursor to the default type every render frame. GitHub tells me it was added by Carlo back in 2017 in the scope of mouse control for 3D cabs. Carlo, is this line of code still necessary? Or would it be possible to restrict its influence to the main RunActivity window?

#9 User is offline   Looky1173 

• Hostler

Posted 19 August 2023 - 07:09 AM

I finally got the time to return to this and I made some progress. I've submitted a PR on GitHub, so my changes will make it into the Unstable version once one of the OR developers adds the "for-unstable" label to it. The new Dispatcher window can be tried out alongside the old one by pressing <Ctrl + Shift + 9>.

What changed:
  • The Dispatch and Timetable tabs are merged
  • Cleaner, less cluttered interface
  • Reworked colours (in progress)
  • The Dispatcher window informs dispatchers of their role in multiplayer sessions
To-do before the new Dispatcher window could replace the old one:
  • Achieve feature parity with the old Dispatcher window
  • Localisation. Can a developer kindly help me with this? I don't know how to add support for localisation in my new Dispatcher window
  • Persist preferences. I need some help with this too. Is there a preferred way to persist settings in OR that do not go in the Options window? Should they be saved to the registry?
  • Update documentation
Please help me test the new Dispatcher window and let me know what you think of the changes.

The reworked Dispatcher window:
Attached Image: Screenshot 2023-08-19 173034.jpg

#10 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 19 August 2023 - 11:22 AM

View PostLooky1173, on 19 August 2023 - 07:09 AM, said:

I finally got the time to return to this and I made some progress. I've submitted a PR on GitHub, so my changes will make it into the Unstable version once one of the OR developers adds the "for-unstable" label to it. The new Dispatcher window can be tried out alongside the old one by pressing <Ctrl + Shift + 9>.

"for-unstable" label now added, so please would users try it out and provide feedback.

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users